R&P from No Limit for 64 F100

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

Does everyone here fully understand every aspect of these trucks? If not, then you must have your ignorance pointed out and then be taken out behind the barn and be shot not once but twice for good measure! Line up boys and girls! Thanks, Lyman.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Two words! buggy spring
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

All I am saying is, if this was a wonderfull idea it would be used by every manufactuer around, it's not being used in-mass and you have to ask why? To date I have only seen computer generated rederings showing this type of set up on a Freightliner motorhome chassis and mentioning it will be available on their bigger chassis also. I do assume these are being used but on a limited basis.

BUT

I stress that this has nothing in common with what No Limmit sells. The stuff Freightliner is offering is purpose built for the application and if you view the steering column geometry, it is quite different from what is possible on existing 1/2 ton pickups. You will notice that the steering shaft rises verticaly from the rack and not horizontally. This eliminates the possibility of body roll induced steering angle change (bumpsteer) Also with the steering shaft in this attiude there is little or no possibility of over extending the universal joint past its operating range as the suspension articulates.

http://www.freightliner.com/news/press- ... spx?id=516

And please don't use the worn out addage of "if the big rigs use it" crapola. Very little that applies to heavy duty trucks translates to light duty trucks. Please understand that the parts Frieghtliner uses are designed specifically for this application. These are not light duty car parts scavanged from a junkyard and bodged into your truck from a kit.

IF you plan on doing this be very aware of your steering universal joint angles and make damn sure that nothing binds durring the entire suspension travel, compression and rebound. DO NOT GUESS, BE SURE.
DROPTOP46

STAIGHT AXLE MYTHS

Post by DROPTOP46 »

WOE there is a lot of talk on this. First off, I am the owner of NO LIMIT, I dent want to pretend that Iamb just a concerned blocker, or to hide my true agenda. How many people thought that the world was flat? the sun orbited the earth? the moon was made of cheese? More recently, all hot rods will have flatheads, you will never tune a hot rod with a laptop, all hotrods will have IFS ! Some people want to keep the straight axle, and we want to help. By the way, what a great image from frieghtliner! This is not a new idea. So maybe I can clear up a few things, our rack mount clamps to the axle itself, nice and solid. The columns stay mounted to the cab. 30" columns work nice, you can modify and use the stock column if you wish, but not with the 3-on-the-tree (not enough room), we have a little kit to help with that mod. Our kit uses 2 (TWO) u-joints for the steering shaft, one at the column, and one at the rack, to allow for arc movement of the axle without bothering the column. The steering shaft is a GM style slip shaft, they are very smooth, with a flat internal ribbon spring to keep them snug, they should be greesed once a year. We provide the high and low pressure fittings for the rack, this makes plumbing much easier. We also have a hove kit in braided stainless. We have 4 (four) test trucks locally with over 30,000 miles on them (combined), using our PS kits. Two of them are from the Big Bear and Arrowhead area, and are commuters up and down the mountain every day. By the way, I have run No Limit for 26 yrs now, I've never been sued, and I've never caused a customer to have an accident. This is my livelyhood, and it is the sole provider for my family. I'm not about to risk it all taking any unproven product to market. Do your homework. Study the geometry, make good decisions, DO IT RIGHT - DO IT ONCE. have a great day.
IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU'R PLANNING TO FAIL
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

HI Rob,

You know I'm not taking pot shots at you. I am just explaining my point of view with this system. I have seen a few homebrewed versions of this and I am here to tell you it was dangerous s**t.

You are correct about this not being a new idea. First application I saw like this was in the early 80's and I'm quite sure it wasn't new then either. And still why hasn't Ford, GM, Chryco or anyone else for that matter picked up on it for use in their heavy duty light trucks with beam axles. I surely would be cheaper than a recirculating ball screw arangent and they already make racks for their light duty pickups, so.........
If you do need to get in touch, please use my Email at info@industrialchassisinc.com or post a message on my Facebook Page

Thank you,
Steve
DROPTOP46

big auto

Post by DROPTOP46 »

I agree that this method is not the most widely used. Tooling cost is the biggest factor. It affects the big auto makers just as it does us. If tooling were not an issue, we (no limit) would go out and make a bolt in P/S box. Think of it, New cast housings, close ratio gears, double cleve bearings, in a bolt-in configuration for the stock frame and axle. This would be great. I even looked into it years ago, the TOOLING cost for the project was estimated at $73,280.00!!! (I actually went and looked this up last night)This was for a box to fit '53-'56, and P/S boxes would have to sell for $850.00+ Not such a great business move. As to who is using Racks on Straight Axles, I looked across the pond for that one. You may want to checkout Mercedes, Unimog, Range Rover, and Renoult. They all use this method in light and heavy duty 'ute's. Please remember to build 'em safe guys, My kids may be on the same road as you. :)
IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU'R PLANNING TO FAIL
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Have a look at Flaming rivers web site, ie, The Domin ator , not for solid axles but twin ibeam and they make a slip shaft as well.

Alan
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

Droptop, Rob, I am definately going to be calling when my funds have been recovered for my next purchase on my 64. any chances us slick members can get a discount? :lol: If not I understand, im just glad to see there is a option for me to eliminate my armstrong steering for something that wont be so hard on my steering column and wheel as well, esp for maneuvering around them grocery stores and drag strip pit spots :lol: