Deisel in a Slick?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Obsa
United States of America

Deisel in a Slick?

Post by Obsa »

Just wondering, has anybody done a deisel swap on an F100? Thoughts anyone.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Why not :wink:
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Well seeing as an IDI or powerstroke is an international engine or heaven forbid a cummins or Duramax, should be installed it will be a cross dresser and not worthy of our intrest.

Garbz
Truckrat
United States of America

diesel engines in Slicks

Post by Truckrat »

wha.gif butbut.gif I have been considering a diesel for sometime, but I am not sure a half ton effie's frame is up to the task. Maybe an f250 or 350. Those things make a considerable amount of torque over a gas engine. Besides, doesn't FORD OWN CUMMINS?
64fordf100292v8

Post by 64fordf100292v8 »

Im installing a 4 cylinder cummins into my truck. I hope to have it done before the end of the year. :D I will be using a t-19 trans with a advance adapters ranger overdrive unit in front of it which will give me 8 forward gears. :shock: I hope to get close to 30 miles per gallon on the highway once I'm done.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

I say that a diesel is exempt from the Brand X Rule. Since Ford doesn't actually make their own light duty diesel engines, I don't consider it the sin that a bowtie engine would be.
Now, if you decided to use an Isuzu diesel, that's a different story. :shock:
I agree, I wouldn't put one in a half ton.
However, a crew cab unit would be perfect. :)
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

There was a time when I despised diesels in pickups. The noise, belching black soot, nasty oil changes, etc. However, after witnessing the insane GRUNT those babies can produce, I'm sorta changing my mind. :lol:
I'd like to get an '03 or newer Super Duty & just sorta swap bodies (probably look like hell)...then go tow some huge fifth wheel with it! :D

I agree with the previously stated point though, a newer diesel in a F100 Slick might end up twisting the frame.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
dwbr

Post by dwbr »

Slick Fan wrote:There was a time when I despised diesels in pickups. The noise, belching black soot, nasty oil changes, etc. However, after witnessing the insane GRUNT those babies can produce, I'm sorta changing my mind.

i used to the the same way, then in 03 i bought my superduty, after test driving it, i was totaly impressed with the power, i still get a kick out of seing the face on those punks kids face when they try to outrun me,

i think the body swap onto the frame would be the best bet, you would have to cut the frame but im sure you could center it correctly, those engines weight alot, to just dump it into the original frame would take alot of beefing up
________
herbal shop
Last edited by dwbr on February 6, 2011, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
61ford

Post by 61ford »

anyone seen that buildup to bonneville on speed channel truck u?a man is taking an frame and cab floor from a 05 superduty and mating it to a 70 f100 body.hes using the powerstroke all the frame cab floor believe the firewall and all the wiring from the superduty.he said he could take it to a ford dealer and have them work on it like a new superduty when hes done with it.i think its pretty neat i wouldnt wanna cut up a old truck that much but hes doing it as a sleeper for some speed record at bonneville
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
MrEvil

Post by MrEvil »

I love my '00 F250 Superduty. My 7.3L Powerstroke runs circles around the 460 in my dad's F350. It's kind of a hazard having all that power on ice and snow with no weight over the rear.
Vehicles:

2000 F250 Superduty Crew cab
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(work beater)
1961 F100 Uni (my baby)
1966 Thunderbird: someday.
truckerdaddy66

Post by truckerdaddy66 »

My younger brother is planing on swaping in a 6 cylinder nissian diesel with 5 speed trans. It came out of light duty cab over work truck.He has a 68 chevy half ton w/ 6cylinder 3speed. His Idea is to use waste oil from work,for fuel,he's a mechanic,This sounds very interesting,if interested Ican get you in touch w/him.

Fred, New Caney,Tx.
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

My dad (also a slick nut) ran into a fellow slick owner that has a 24V Cummins in his, nice conversion but definitly would want the F-250 size brakes and driveline.
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
61 Merc
Canada

Re: diesel engines in Slicks

Post by 61 Merc »

Truckrat wrote: wha.gif butbut.gif I have been considering a diesel for sometime, but I am not sure a half ton effie's frame is up to the task. Maybe an f250 or 350. Those things make a considerable amount of torque over a gas engine. Besides, doesn't FORD OWN CUMMINS?

Not sure of the exact nature of ownership, but they were owned by Ford tractor I believe, and I would want a 1 ton frame and suspension to handle the weight and torque.
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

So, it would appear that there is some interest in this type of swap. I am collecting info at this stage. On the topic of strenght of the f100 frame couldn't this be solved by the old hot rodders trick of boxing the frame? Brakes would be another issue that could be solved by aftermarket items.
btalley

Down south, down Argentina way.........

Post by btalley »

Didn't someone in Argentina or somewhere on the southern hemisphere put one of the Nissan six cylinder diesels in his slick? Of course everything he wrote about it was in spanish. This was on the old site.

B.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

What i think might be ideal for a 1/2 ton is the Mercedes diesel from a car.. think it's a 5 banger, turbo.
Also the Mercedes diesel they put in those used-to-be-Dodge-Now-Mercedes delivery vans. You know the goofy-looking tall ones.
I know this sound pretty hypocritical, me advocating a squarehead engine swap, but I think it would be at least 5000 times cooler than having a SBC.
This is all hypothetical, to me, since I haven't got the slightest idea how to even begin a Diesel engine swap, but maybe some day i can get down to Billings and see Dan's
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
MrEvil

Re: diesel engines in Slicks

Post by MrEvil »

Truckrat wrote: wha.gif butbut.gif I have been considering a diesel for sometime, but I am not sure a half ton effie's frame is up to the task. Maybe an f250 or 350. Those things make a considerable amount of torque over a gas engine. Besides, doesn't FORD OWN CUMMINS?

Negative, Ford has never owned any interest in Cummins. I'm with DV65CustomCab on this one. Diesels are exempt from the Brand X rule.

My dad and I have been soured on Cummins Diesels though when one that was on a CaseIH 1688 combine rattled its own front cover off. In addition to it's regular overheating problems and lubrication problems. A second combine, an IH 1688 (before IH sold off the ag machinery to Case) that had a DT466 went a whole harvest season with nothing more than a quart of oil to top off the crankcase.
Vehicles:

2000 F250 Superduty Crew cab
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(work beater)
1961 F100 Uni (my baby)
1966 Thunderbird: someday.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

scared.gif ppssst Is the worry of torque twist a consideration when putting a 460 into a slick,dont get me wrong I like diesels in work trucks but in a toy slick they just dont mmmmmmmmmmm sound right!. scared.gif

Alan
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
kid2

Post by kid2 »

foodstick and I used to see a Guy here in Des Moines several Years ago who made a Ext Cab Slick and put it on a Dodge Chassis with a Cummins Diesel in it. Looked great from a distance but he put the Dash from the Dodge in it also. Seen the truck on E-Bay a couple of times but don't k now if it sold but havent seen it in a long time. i think if I was wanting a Diesel in my Slick I would just do a frame swap with one already in place...............Kid
65 f-100, Mostly Stock
64 F-100, 4in roof chop and on a car frame
64 F100, Project, not sure what to do with it
61 Long Uni project
79 F-250 Super Cab Long Box
74 Duster, Future Project
Dropped,Chopped,Tubbed,and Stubbed is the way to go

It is easier to ask Forgivness than to ask Permission
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

a friend of mine recently acquired a international scout with the 6 cyl nissan diesel. it is going to be installed in his 48 f100 . even though i am outspoken against inbreeding, with diesel there is no real optons and therefore exempt from the rule.if i could find one i would install it in a slick without hesitation.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton