Turn signal question-62 Uni

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Phil

Turn signal question-62 Uni

Post by Phil »

Another basic one.

When the headlamps are on, do the front signals illuminate like
on more modern (ie: 1970) cars?

Mine do not.
Someday I'll get another slick :(
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

The headlight switch is a two position switch (actually three if you count twisting it to the left turns on your dome light). The first position (pulled about a 1/4" out), considered "parking lights", illuminates both turn directionals in the front (but not blinking) and the tail lights. The second switch position (pulled out until it stops) turns on the head lamps and your tail lights. And of course the high beam switch is on the floor.
Funny story about that floor switch. My oldest son was in my truck with me when he was about 17 years old or so. I'm sure that every car/vehicle he had seen had the high-beam switch on the steering column. I told him that you had to hit the dash in the center for the high beams to work on my '64. He didn't believe me, so while we were both sitting in the truck, I would simultaneously hit the center of the dash with my fist (on the top) while pressing the high beam switch with my foot. To turn them off, just hit it again! He could NOT believe it! He wanted to see it work for himself (he was in the passenger side), so he hit the dash and of course it didn't work. I explained you had to hit it exactly in the center with just the right amount of "umph", so I showed him again. He was amazed! This went on for several times, and I just couldn't help it, and started to laugh and told him the scoop. He failed to see my humor!
Gene
1961 Intregal cab SWB 223 (getting 302 & TIB)
1969 LWB 302 automatic (Donor for the '61)
2000 F150 XLT SWB (Daily Driver)
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

Oops, forgot to mention that with the head lamps on, the turn directionals are not illuminated. I believe this was standard for almost all cars/truck of that era.
Gene
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

Boy, nothing like a person posting on top of their posts!
I might also mention, if you didn't already know this, that turning the headlight switch to the right dims your dash lights the further to the right you turn it. I guess that makes it a FOUR function switch!
Gene
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks!

Just wanted to know if the PO forgot a butt connector :D
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Great Story Gene! Wish I had thought of that when I was teaching my kid to drive in the uni LOL
I don't think the park lights come on with the headlights until you get to the Dentsides, IIRC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
az63pu

Post by az63pu »

that was the funniet story,i got tears in my eyes....my kid gets his lic. this Feb. i can't wait..........har, har....

mark
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

ROFLMAO Gene!
Damn, I just found a new way to have fun with my old truck.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
didgeytrucker

Post by didgeytrucker »

Parking lights did not stay on with headlights until '67 or '68. Side marker lights were required by law in '68 so that might be when the parking light situation changed.

And.....if you turn the switch to the left it turns on your interior dome light. You dash lights are wired to come on any time the tail-lights are on.

It might be a federal law: if lights on the front of a vehicle are on then tail-lights must also be on. So if you have fog lights or driving lights that can be turned on without the parking lights/headlights being on that is a violation of the law.

If anybody is interested, the proper operating condition would have fog lights wired to only come on with low-beams and driving lights only with high beams.

And in case you didn't know, the front parking lights/turn signals are just like tail-lights - a two filament bulb. The dimmer side is the parking light and the brighter side is the turn signal.

At one point in time (on my old '55 f-100 panel) the front lights were one filament turn signal only setups.

Do I know too much??

Tracy
1956 F-100 Panel w/429 (3.50 9")
1966 F-100 SWB w/351C (3.25 9" - 3.70 posi for Saturday nights)
Music City F-100's,
1965 GT-350 S/C (2.78 1st & 3.70 TracLok 9")
Music City Mustang Club
1969 Schwinn StingRay
Don't focus on the destination....make the JOURNEY the adventure
Phil

Post by Phil »

didgeytrucker wrote:
Do I know too much??

Tracy

Nope. I just understand too little.

I need to process all that. Good infoz

:D
brojohnak

Post by brojohnak »

my 64 f250 does have both the park lites and the headlites on when pulled out to the second positon, but on my 66 f100 the park lites go off when the headlites are on wierd huh?
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

brojohnak wrote:my 64 f250 does have both the park lites and the headlites on when pulled out to the second positon, but on my 66 f100 the park lites go off when the headlites are on wierd huh?

I bet someone's messed with the wiring on your '64.

Welcome to the site, by the way! welcome.gif
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!