Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks...my wife liked the red wheels with the white paint. I had a '55 Dodge that I sold last May to fund this project. I had painted it satin black (rustoleum) with red wheels. Got attention where ever I drove it. Lot's of fun...but no parts availability, and what you did find was $$$$. The bed liner is Rustoleum brand from Tractor Supply. $19 a quart which did the entire inside of the bed and the tailgate.

I had restored a '66 back in the early '90's and then had to sell it. I really missed it...so that's why I have the '64. I liked the Dodge, but I love the Ford.
Last edited by SteveCanup on March 24, 2018, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I found the '66 in a farmers field where it had been sitting. Belonged to his father. The bed had a pretty nasty dent on the drivers side (don't they all?!?) Painted it in my backyard one evening with NAPA's MSA line of Acrylic Enamel with hardener added, and drove it to work the next day. It had the 300 6 cylinder with 3 speed. Threw a rod and bought a brand new long block and put a C-4 behind it (so the wife could drive it.) A job relocation from NC to Kentucky necessitated that I sell my house (long story) and I ended up having to sell the truck.... :cry:
Last edited by SteveCanup on March 24, 2018, 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1964 F-100
Fiveoh108
United States of America

Post by Fiveoh108 »

Both of those trucks look cool. I think I am going to scuff mine, tape it off and spray it Wimbledon white, while I am working on it. At least it will look presentable enough while I'm working on it.
Mike Thomas
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Mike...here's pics of the seat after I recovered it with LMC's upholstery kit. I was going to go with red upholstery, but my wife, in her wisdom, talked me into black. I am glad I went with black. I had already bought the red seat belts off of ebay and I was going to dye them black, but for now I like the contrast. I still had the old red carpet in the truck, and I have since put black carpet in. It was a $19.99 loop pile 5x7 area rug from Walmart. With some patience and contact cement and cuts in the right place you can make your own carpet kit without spending a fortune. I should name the thread "Poor Man's '64 Build" ....lol....
Last edited by SteveCanup on March 24, 2018, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Here's some "before" pic of my interior...The first pic I had just brought the truck home. The steering wheel cover had been on so long that it had adhered to the steering wheel.
Last edited by SteveCanup on March 24, 2018, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Wet, cold and messy weather....winter can't go on much longer...can it? Can't get anything done with my truck...hopefully next week I can begin to get the bed back off and do some repair work on it and the cab corner....stay tuned.....
1964 F-100
lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

I know the feeling, Steve! This winter has been exceptionally cold and wet here in Central MD, just a few hours up I-81. I have been gathering parts for a power steering upgrade and engine swap. Can't wait for the weather to break and the fun to begin! I have been watching your build closely and really like your ride.
Justin
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Wow,I'm really impressed with what looks like a good quality seat cover from LMC. I had no idea they made something that good. Let us know how you feel about it. I spent a small fortune on mine with fabric and vinyl from SMS in Oregon. They look great but I sure could have saved some money If I would have known. + it took forever to get the material first THEN have it installed.

SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks Justin! Bird55 that's a nice reupholstered seat...I like that! And I bet it did set you back. I was immensely pleased with the LMC upholstery kit. The fit and finish was very impressive and the vinyl is excellent quality. I got a quote from a local first rate upholstery shop to recover my seat...$285. While that might not be too bad for most folks, I'm a poor man do-it-yourselfer and will cut corners where I can. Now the weather is breaking...finally....and hopefully I can get back to bodywork on the truck. Stay tuned...more to come...with pics.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Beautiful day here in S.W. Virginia...70 degrees. Took time to work on the drivers side of the bed. It was time to fix this mess. I had a line on a set of bed sides, but that did not pan out. So...now I am left with fixing what I have and make do. Here's the mess that I started with.

Someone had repainted the truck in the past and it was a "quick and dirty" paint job. This poor truck is full of bondo and dents. I removed at least 1/2" thick bondo from the side of the bed alone. I have welded a few patches in because the metal was stretched and fatigued...at least it was when I was finished with it (remember that I am not a professional bodyman.) Unfortunately I was so determined to fix this mess today that I forgot my camera to take additional "after" pics of the bed. It's not too bad, definitely not perfect and probably will not ever be. I have just about decided on satin white paint with red wheels. The satin with the white will sure hide the imperfections. This is not a show truck, but I do want to take it to the local cruise-in's this season. Stay tuned, pics are coming...hoping to get the tailgate on tomorrow also.
Last edited by SteveCanup on March 24, 2018, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

After about 4 hours of work yesterday...
Another view...it is much better but still need some work.

Hoping to possibly get my tailgate on today. I ordered a cab corner from NPD Sunday night and it should be here today. Will do a pictorial on the cut and replacement on it when it do it.
Last edited by SteveCanup on March 24, 2018, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 F-100
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

wow you did good! that bed side turned out great!
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks realjoeshmoe! It was a job. It still needs a little more work, and some block sanding...I ran out of time so I just shot some primer on it to hold it until I can get back to it. My wife and I are in NC today...our oldest daughter is having her first child (a girl, we already have 3 grandsons) and I'll be out of pocket for the next several days. I hope to get to the tailgate (I keep saying that) and the cab corner the first of next week....we'll see....stay tuned....there's certainly more to come....with pics.
1964 F-100
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

If you weren't a bodyman before-you are now! Very nice work.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks bird55... with the right equipment it probably wouldn't be to bad. My neighbor has an pneumatic long board sander that I want to borrow and go back over it. Then color sand and maybe spray some paint on it.
1964 F-100
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I like the wheels and 55-56 caps. Did you have those wheels made or where did they come from? Size?

OOPS, ok, I just reread your very first post where you explained the wheels. Once again nice work.

I looking for some 17" for my bird but can't get over how dang pricey they are!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Nice day today...so, I went out and removed the bed off of my truck and cut out the bad cab corner. My wife, who is in NC at our daughter's home (who just had a baby girl), had the camera....so no pics. The cab corner is repaired but I have no photo documentation of such. It did happen...I will take and post "after" pics when I get her and the camera back home. It was also an excellent time to get the back of the cab sanded and painted before putting the bed back on. Making progress...pics will come...stay tuned....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

A little more body work today... small dents here and there worked out...a little filler here and there...and a little more primer here and there. Ran out of time. Will procure the camera tomorrow and be back late Friday and will take some pics on Saturday. I ordered a front 1" sway bar with end links, etc. and it will be in tomorrow. I will document the installation of said bar. According to Tom Porterfield (Uncle Skip on here) the sway bar will "make your truck handle like a go-cart." Lowering took some of the body roll out, but I'm looking forward to better handling with the sway bar. Stay tuned...spring is here and work is commencing...not as fast as I want...but it is commencing. Looking forward to all the cruise-ins...More to come...with pics.
Steve-
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Sway bar is here! Installation to occur on the last Saturday of this month! (That's the day after tomorrow.) I must drive to NC to visit my daughter, son-in-law and new granddaughter (family first...actually second, God is first in my life). I will be back on this thing on Saturday and will have a camera to prove that I have been diligently working. Stay tuned...
Steve-
1964 F-100
grump

Post by grump »

You did a great job of metal working your bed side. All it takes is patience, a lot of patience. Keep up the good work.