door pocket frame

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DANNY COLE

door pocket frame

Post by DANNY COLE »

HELLO I just joined slick 60's. I just bought a 1963 f250 4x4 with 78,500 miles that my uncle has owned for 49 years. I sent the data plate information to Ford and they said it was a cab and chassis model. I knew the truck had always had a flat bed on it since my uncle bought it in 1965. The truck is black and has a 292 4 speed and is geared 456. I also got a 1965 f250 4x4 with it that has the 352 engine and 4 speed that my uncle had bought for a parts truck over 20 years ago. I need the frame that goes around the door pocket on the drivers side. The one on my truck is cracked and broken in several places. If any of you guys have one you would like to sell let me know. Also I was planning on having the wheels powder coated and I have a new style of 8 lug rims plus I have two sets of the split rims. have any of you guys had problems with the split rims. I want to keep the truck original as possible so I want to use the split rims if they are not to hard to get painted and new tires put on.
64 f100

Re: door pocket frame

Post by 64 f100 »

The door pocket trim may be available new , but not positive on that. I believe Bob Drake made the repo sets, but not even certain of that. One of our members made some on a CNC machine out of aluminum, but I don't think he has made any more and I believe he sold out of the pieces.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Rich I had a sample at Slick Stock on what they look like but they are pricey due to all the waste in the aluminum, showed to a few after them looking at the scuff plates
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
DANNY COLE

Post by DANNY COLE »

Thanks for your help
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

DANNY COLE wrote:HELLO I just joined slick 60's. ...I was planning on having the wheels powder coated and I have a new style of 8 lug rims plus I have two sets of the split rims. have any of you guys had problems with the split rims. I want to keep the truck original as possible so I want to use the split rims if they are not to hard to get painted and new tires put on.
Welcome to Slick60s, Danny!

First off, be aware that some local purists may correct you in the wheels name, (as I was). I was schooled in that there are 3 distinct styles of "split rims" used back in the day: the single locking ring (2 pieces), the double locking ring (3 pieces), the firestone center split rims.

What you're calling 'split rims' are likely the 'lock ring style' wheels.

Secondly, I would suggest you ask around at your local tire shops to see who, if any, will still mount tires on those lock ring wheels. Tires should be mounted and aired up inside a tire cage - in case they decide to come apart. You may try contacting a Big Truck shop - as they may have the equipment (tire cage) and know-how to work with them.

Many guys, me included, do not want to use OEM bias-ply tires and their required tubes or want to use required radial tubes inside of radial tires.

Also realize that if you want to use the OEM hub caps, you'll need to use a wheel that will accept them. I believe the lock ring wheels that came on our Slicks were sized for 7.50 x 16 tires. If you do decide to run the lock ring wheels, I'd always carry a good spare in case of flat, since, as previously mentioned, many tire shops will not work on lock ring wheels.

You may want to simply clean them up, and try to sell them to some super die-hard restorer out there that are looking for them. :2cents:
BarnieTrk :steering:
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

Split rims are very dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing! A local guy was killed while airing one up. IF you do use them, follow the above advice to the letter. If you have one go flat, CHANGE IT, DON'T TRY TO AIR IT UP UNLESS IT'S IN A CAGE!
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

I may be ignorant, but why would you run split rims on a 250? My stock 63 had original 16" solid wheels with the bottle cap dog dishes. So a factory 8 lug solid wheel should not be too hard to fine for a Slick 250.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Split Rims are dangerous,, I changed many of them with no cage, would sit on them when airing But unlike people today I was at the age of 10 showed had to change truck tires from these trucks up to 11x24 and then moved on big loader tires using cherry pickers and today still can change a tire without a cage,, Oh yes some have died, even seen one install a tire on a truck and when installing lug nuts the snap ring came off and was on te front of the truck,, have seen some of these idiots take all lug nuts off hit the rim and the wedges smack them in the face,,,,,,

Anyway I would change over to tubeless 16" wheels so you do not have to mess with the flap and tube, can run tubeless on those wheels but use the tube/flap,,, flap?, Flap is another piece of rubber that protects the tube from the rim and be sure the flap is not wrinkled cause if so it can make a wrinkle in the tube and will cause a flat,, innie wheels are out there, just a matter of finding them in which most of the time we have them on the 16"..
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

Welcome to Slick 60s from a fellow 4x4 owner. If you do decide to ditch the split rims, you can use up to 1996 Ford steel rims that will look similar to one of the original split rim styles. A set of four 16 inch steel rims will cost more than $200 to sand blast and powder coat.

We'd like to see photos of both your trucks.
Pat
DANNY COLE

Post by DANNY COLE »

Found door pockets on ebay. Bob Drake makes these. $195.00 a pair.