Manual to Power Steering Upgrade

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Toyz
United States of America

Re: Manual to Power Steering Upgrade

Post by Toyz »

I'm missing the issue, or it is a matter of a combination I am not familiar with. In my experience, the lower pulley can be removed via the same smaller capscrews you described without disturbing the balancer itself. There may well be exceptions; I just don't remember any on the later FE's. That being said, I have several 360's around; I will check this evening to see if the lower pulleys are still on them. If one has the dual groove setup, I'll be glad to send it to you.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

Paul,
I described it as best I could. Basically, the pulley on my 352 is a pulley/harmonic balancer combination unit. There is not a balancer with pulley bolted to it as on later FE engines. If you can find a dual groove pulley to sell me that would be awesome. What I have noticed is that many of the 360's and 390's that came out of F-250 have a dual groove pulley because they had the higher amperage alternators and required two parallel belts.
Thanks,
Justin
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I didn't make it to the shop today; I will check at first opportunity. Did the 360 setup not appear to have a removable dual pulley?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Her is a pic I just took of a 2 groove Bottom Pulley for the 352 Fe V-8's and will not fit nothing else but a 352 with the single pulley/harmonic balancer combined

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/5980/AR3f9B.jpg
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Tom, will the 352 dual pulley line up with the 360 components?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Paul,, you cannot bolt this pulley to any of the 360/390/410/406/427/428 pulleys for the reason none of the holes will line up ,, It lines up to only the 352 single pulley/harmonic balancer which makes it hard to find a 2 grove pulley like this + if you do find it be sure you get the center bolt since it could be different, I think when I removed it when I took the 3 3/8 bolts out it still would not come off till I got the big bolt out,, I know out of all the 352's I have come across, not many I have seen
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

OK, next question? Will the 360 belt setup line up with the 352 pulley? Seems like the brackets had to be shimmed out to align, but it has been many decades.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

way we sell it is,, if you have a 352, We will sell either a 2 groove pulley like I showed that will go on the 352 motor then pump etc. to match that OR we then we sell the 360/390 etc. water pump pulley/bottom pulley that matches the pump/pulley that's on the pulley so all matches+ the harmonic balancer with the sleeve and if I still have one a truck like I did the other day I took a picture of how it's suppose to look and have a few with the a/c parts as well see next answer to the ? is 2 bolts bolt to the water pump, 3rd bolt goes into the head with a spacer there and that's all the shimming that should be,, if it needs more then wrong pulley's are not matching up for the reason pulleys are mis-matched.. I have seen 3 different pulleys on the power steering pump all taking the same bracket system and because 3 different pulleys on the pump means 3 different pulleys on the bottom as well and be careful on trucks that have a pollution pump on it.
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

Hey Guys!
Thanks for getting around to helping me out Junkyard and Tom! So if I am reading right Junkyard, the pulley you took a photo of is the one that I will need to install on my 352? Looks like it will bolt to the existing pulley/balancer with 3 3/8 bolts and a larger (5/8?) center bolt?
Justin
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

I took it off a 66 352 engine and saved the center bolt as well,, could not tell why it was on since the only thing left on the engine was this, more than likely it was either a power steering truck or a A/C truck,, also one thing to consider is on what your pulley looks like on the power steering pump
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

Hey Tom,
That pulley you have from a '66 352, is that a pulley that would mount to my existing pulley/balancer or is it a replacement for my existing pulley/balancer? I ask because I am not sure if it will work for my application. As I stated in earlier posts It looks as though I will need to use a three sheave pulley because the power steering belt will run on a third pulley from the existing alt. belt. I have noticed that some of the 352 have a two sheave pulley for an additional alternator belt. If your pulley is one of those it won't work for me. Are the 3/8 holes in your pulley threaded? If not maybe I could mount your pulley to my existing pulley/balancer?
Thanks,
Justin
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

No the bolts are not threaded for the reason this pulley bolts to your existing 352 balancer which already has a single groove and the bolt that holds this on as well
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

jefflovesf250s

Post by jefflovesf250s »

Tom: If you bolt the double sheave pulley you show in the picture you posted to a '66 352 harmonic balancer with a groove in it, will the balancer groove and the first sheave in the double be the same diameter? The reason I ask is that my alternator has a double pulley as well, so the diameters need to be identical to run the same belt to the drive the alternator.
Then to drive the power steering pump from the outer sheave (of the double you show in your picture), do you then need extra thick stand-offs (or shims) to move the frame supporting the power steering pump further out from the block to line it up with the outer sheave?
Thanks for your input. Bewildered Jeff
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

all the pulley grooves are the same size as the original harmonic balancer is as well if you just need some of the single groove pulley's I have here as well for dual alternator set ups...
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

Hello Fellow Slickers,
So, I wanted to give an update on my power steering upgrade and share a little bit about my plans for Bernadette.
I ended up not being able to make a deal work with Tom because, I waited a little too long and the pulley I needed was sold. So, I purchased an FE crank pulley on Ebay with hopes that it would bolt to my existing harmonic balancer. The pulley I bought came off of a mid 70's 390. I tried mounting this pulley and the holes were about a 1/4" too far apart. So, back to the drawing board!
I was poking around on my local craigslist looking for FE parts and found a gentleman parting out a 1973 F250 with a lower mileage 360 and C6 combo for sale at a fantastic price. I called him up and we made a deal. I am now the proud owner of a 360 with the pulley I need and have already sold the C6 to a friend, recouping a large portion of the money I spent. I was able to kill two birds with one stone. The price I paid for the motor was too good to pass up. The weather in central MD has turned bitter cold and snowy this last month so I haven't been able to do any real wrenching. But plan to drop the 360 into my truck in place of the tired old 352 as soon as the weather is fit. I will do the power steering upgrade while I have the engine out, making the work a lot easier.
Just a little update about Bernadette and Me! I will continue to update this post in regards to the steering. Hope everyone is well! Thanks for the great advice so far!
Justin