Charging issues

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mellvis

Charging issues

Post by Mellvis »

I've been having problems for the last few days trying to drive my beloved toy. I think I have narrowed it down to the voltage regulator but figured I better run it passed everyone to be sure. The last few times I've driven it the alternator light has flashed on a few times. The other day I had to turn around an park it because it was dying out on me. After checking things out, here's what I have found:

I have 12.2 volts at the battery when not running. I have 12.6 volts at idle. When the engine is above idle the voltage goes anywhere from 12.6 to 16.5 volts. With lights, heater fan and windshield wipers on, the turn signals won't even flash and all mentioned accessories run slowly. The alternator is putting out a consistent 26.3 volts AC.

My understanding is that about 25 volts AC is good at the alternator, so my thought is that the regulator (replaced new in about 1988!) is not regulating correctly and bouncing the voltage all over the place.

Any ides or thoughts would be great. I know that older regulators could be adjusted, but I'm not that familiar with it, so I figure $25 for a new one is fair enough.
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
aarons428
Germany

Re: Charging issues

Post by aarons428 »

Yes throw a regulator at it and enjoy!!!
2010 Ford Edge
99 Ford Expedition
65 Ford f-100 swb
460 stock other than a double roller timing chain and a s475 TURBO pushing 6psi of boost (now 12lbs)
351 W Pulled and on garage floor in storage
428 4v (R.I.P)
c-6 wide ratio modified
torino front stub
home made ladder bar rear with air bags
11.96 sec @ 110mph 1\4mile (best with the 428)
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

I was thinking the same but figured I had better check with The Wise Men (and women)! Thanks for the help.

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Jump the detached wires at the "F" and ""A" terminals at the regulator. This will allow maximum output at the alternator, thus proving the alternator and wiring between the two, as well as the circuit from switch. If charge rate is a steady 14+, depending on rpm; replace the regulator.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

Do you unplug the gang plug from the regulator, jump the two terminals and start the truck with the plug not connected to the regulator? I thought this would produce AC voltage? Understand that I don't really know so I'm asking for knowledge, and thanks!

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Yes, in the olden days, tool distributors sold a tool which simply plugged in to the connector for this purpose. You are simply allowing full available voltage to the field.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

Ok, thank you very much. I'm all over it tomorrow morning!