Help with Parking Brake Handle

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Macon ACE

Help with Parking Brake Handle

Post by Macon ACE »

It doesn't seem like it should be this hard...

Yippee! My shiny new parking brake handle arrived today! The old one is broken nearly in 2 and is held on by 2 hose clamps. It's been driving me crazy!

Anyway: can someone please tell me the secret to getting the pin out that holds the handle on? When I loosened the hose clamps the plastic part of the handle came off, but the sleeve that it was attached to - and the pin that goes into the shaft - are still there. I couldn't budge that pin.

Do I have to drill that sucker out?
:evil:
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
bigtrip460

Post by bigtrip460 »

can you put a center punch to it and push it out the other side? I am not familiar with it exactly but usually pins drive out the other side.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Best is a roll pin punch, which is a rather special punch that has a half moon tip to keep it centered on the roll pin and not bugger up the roll pin nearly as much. Might be worht the $ to buy one, but beats me where to buy them these days.

But if its rusted, you have have to resort to drilling it out.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

bigtrip460 wrote:can you put a center punch to it and push it out the other side? I am not familiar with it exactly but usually pins drive out the other side.

The hole it's in doesn't go all the way through. I was hoping there was some trick - guess I'll just have to drill it.
:(
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Big Trip.
I just put the notched handle in a vice and put my vice grips on the pin and worked it loose a little at a time by pulling and twisting. If it gets to hard a couple of raps with a hammer on the vice grips should get it loose.
Tap it back in place when you go to put things back.
No need to drill all the way thru.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?