weeping water pump blues

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rderr

weeping water pump blues

Post by rderr »

My motor has been sitting for the last 1.5 years while I did the frame off restore on the rest of my truck. I know I should have replaced the water pump while I had the motor out. I did replace the oil pump but that was mostly because I had to replace the leaking oil pan gasket. Anyway, when I filled the radiator for the 1st time last weekend I noticed that the weep hole in the water pump is dripping. My question is will this stop after the seal regains its moisture/flexibility or whatever, or will I be inevitably pulling the front of my very clean newly painted motor apart to replace the water pump? I was wondering if anyone had one stop weeping after a while.

Thanks,
Rick
Toyz
United States of America

Re: weeping water pump blues

Post by Toyz »

I have never been that lucky! They actually WILL stop leaking, when the water supply is gone! :twisted: After setting that long, the carbon seal element likely has become stuck or damaged. It might free up if not cracked; I wouldn't want to take a chance since the lack of leakage is likely temporary.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Most likely a will need replacing. Another thing that happens is that moisture will cause the metal that the seal rides against to rust and as soon as you start running it the rust eats the seal.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

definitely replace it.
the minor expense and time doing it now will save you greatly in the long run.

had to comment on the quote :P
rderr wrote:will I be inevitably pulling the front of my very clean newly painted motor apart to replace the water pump?.
sure, as opposed to cleaning sticky coolant off it after the pump pees all over it
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
rderr

Post by rderr »

I guess I just needed to hear it from others. I ordered a water pump. Hope to get it replaced this weekend. Thanks for the replies.

Rick