Newbie looking for purchasing advice...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

qwertyd10n
Canada

Newbie looking for purchasing advice...

Post by qwertyd10n »

Hey guys,

I've been following the site for a while now and have thoroughly searched it for posts and information that may help me in making a decision on a couple of Slicks that I've been considering.

First of all, I'll let you know that I'm looking for something that I can drive regularly (3-4 short trips within the city per week) and tinker with as I have the time and money. I also understand that with any vehicle in this vintage, there is a chance that repairs may arise that will be necessary not optional.

So, I find myself really drawn to the '65-66 models and think a 4x4 is just good sense given that we do get winter from time to time up here in Calgary. After doing some fairly significant searching, I've found that there aren't a whole lot of '65-66 F-100 4x4s in daily driver condition available out there... correct me if I'm wrong.

I've found a 1966 F-100 4x4 in Toronto (about a 35 hour one-way drive from Calgary) that looks pretty good and I've done quite a bit of inquiring about it and the owner seems pretty up front and has provided any pics or info I've asked for. The truck sounds to be in really good mechanical condition with some extras that I'm attracted to already in place such as front disc conversion, 2" lift kit, propane conversion, etc. The current owner drives it almost daily, so that makes me fairly confident that it will stand up to my driving desires.

Here are my concerns... (1) I'm not sure I can justify a return flight to check it out in person and I'm wondering if I'm crazy to be thinking about buying it without seeing it in person, (2) the body and paint was redone a few years back and the owner admits it wasn't the best job - how much trouble could I run into in this area, and (3) the asking price is $8000 CDN (about $7750 USD), is this a fair price?

There is also another '66 that just came up for sale about a 5 hour drive from here, but the body is a mess. It comes with a 2wd donor truck that the owner picked up specifically for the body. It all sounds good, but at an asking price of $6850 CDN for the pair, there is a lot of work to be done to get it to the point the first truck is in... even if the body work needs to be redone on the first truck.

There is a lot of knowledge about these trucks on this site, so any helpful input you have would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dion
Calgary, AB, Canada
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

First: Welcome!

Hmm... I normally wouldn't buy a vehicle sight unseen. But I bought my slick that way. However, it was only $1350 USD and I drove it most of the way home (about 5 hours). You're looking to spend considerably more than that.

And I don't know a thing about Canadian prices on these trucks, but down here, I think that kind of money would only be expected for a really nice (restored?) slick.

Are there any Canadian members that are closer to the trucks you're interested in? Maybe they'd be willing to be your eyes and ears on the ground.

ps: lots of potential trouble on the body parts if repairs not done properly. rust, rust, rust...

welcome.gif
Last edited by Macon ACE on September 13, 2007, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

First off... welcome.gif

As a general rule, 4x4 trucks get beat on harder than their 2wd counterparts. So finding a clean one that's not very problematic isn't too easy...especially for a reasonable price tag. To me, the guy in Toronto is asking too much, but if you can post some pics here, it'll help give us an idea of how good it really is.

If you're wanting disc brakes & other things that weren't original on Slicks, you might want to look at Hiboy frame swap trucks...Hiboy being a frame & suspension from around '76 or so, under a '65-'66 body.
Here's a local truck that's been swapped, for example; http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=4 ... &ad=295586
It just so happens that I've got this very swap idea in mind for my white '65...but If I had the money, I'd be all over this one like flies on road apples! :D

My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Welcome to another Albertan member!

Have you seen this one? It's not a 4x4, but it does look pretty clean in the photos, and the asking price is essentially equivalent to the amount I've put into a non-running, incomplete and undriveable '62:

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/deta ... no=2&srt=1

As for how much trouble you could run into? Let's just say lots! Mechanical problems, hidden rust, etc. I'd be very wary of paying that much for a truck of this vintage without giving it a very thorough inspection.

Prices are rising rapidly on anything vintage around here, regardless of desirability or rarity, but restorable examples can still be had for low prices if you're not afraid of a little work. ;)

Jason in Red Deer
qwertyd10n
Canada

Post by qwertyd10n »

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys!

Can someone let me know how to insert pics into a post?

Jason, that truck sold before I could get to it last Friday... huge bummer!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Dion. gven the 3 choices, including the truck Slick posted here, there's a no-brainer. Import the truck out of the States. Salt Lake is closer than Toronto.
>link to map<

Import cost=the price to go fetch the truck (check the price of one way to Salt Lake vs Trawna, and driving it up.), then when you cross the border, you have to pay GST. There is some paperwork required on the US side but if you get serious about it I can get that info for you. My buddy and I have imported 4 trucks between us now, and so we have it down to kind of a science.
The reason I am saying skip the TO truck is they salt the roads down there 6 months a year. The not-so good paint is probably hiding a rust bucket IMO. Utah is dry as a popcorn fart most of the year, although they get winter down there, southern Idaho and Washington,, Colorado, and Utah trucks do NOT take the beating Eastern vehicles do. Be aware the Utah truck is a 3/4 ton tho.

John in LA (Lethbridge Alberta)
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on September 13, 2007, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
qwertyd10n
Canada

Post by qwertyd10n »

JC - would it make any difference if you knew the truck came out of Revelstoke, BC about four years ago? It's only been down east for four winters and the owner has had the underside rust protected before each winter. Good point though... my father made the same comment.

Here are some shots of the truck... I'll make a second post with some of the problem areas.

Nice overall shot of the truck...
[albumimg]2751[/albumimg]

Side shot...
[albumimg]2752[/albumimg]

Interior (I love the red accents)...
[albumimg]2753[/albumimg]

Under the box...
[albumimg]2761[/albumimg]

Engine compartment...
[albumimg]2754[/albumimg]
qwertyd10n
Canada

Post by qwertyd10n »

And here are a few of the problem spots:

Chip from when the Custom Cab emblem was reinstalled...
[albumimg]2755[/albumimg]

Hard to see, but some rust coming up under the chrome strip...
[albumimg]2756[/albumimg]

Small bubble on the passenger side front fender...
[albumimg]2757[/albumimg]

Some pinholes in the passenger floor pan - but he assures me there is no major rust rot associated with them...
[albumimg]2758[/albumimg]

A little trouble up along the top of the windshield...
[albumimg]2759[/albumimg]

Chip on the tailgate...
[albumimg]2760[/albumimg]
qwertyd10n
Canada

Post by qwertyd10n »

Now that you have a few pics to base your thoughts on, would any of you think about purchasing this truck? And if so, what would you think is a fair price for it?

Cheers,
Dion
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

Well it sure is a pretty thing. I know Canada is huge, but is there no one close to this truck that can eyeball it?
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

If it came out of Revelstoke now, I would say go for it.
But look at those springs. What did they rust protect it with, Armor All? and he wants a LOT for it too.
There are trucks popping up all the time and on ebay in the NW and they are gonna be in better shape than one in 4 years of Toronto salt , IMO, but you really should get someone to have a look at it for you . We have several Ontario members. Remember, tho they are looking at it with Eastern eyes, what they think is a minor rust problem would be a HUGE one out here.
Macon is right, the price is almost the price for a minty fresh restoration.. so deal accordingly with the seller.

compare this truck, and it didn't sell for that buy it now price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-For ... dZViewItem

I would say if the TO seller were more in the $6500 range he would be in a nearer ballpark.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I have seen this truck personally, up close. It still needs some work yet but for the price difference you could do it and then some. I do know he put ALOT of work into the drive line on this truck making it right.
http://www.fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3377
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
qwertyd10n
Canada

Post by qwertyd10n »

Greg - that might be a bit more 4x4 than I'm looking for. :shock:
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I saw that one of Red's. A good deal I would say, since he hints he will take <3500

no space at my place or I would be coming to get it.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

qwertyd10n wrote:Greg - that might be a bit more 4x4 than I'm looking for. :shock:

You could buy it as is, sell off the moster mudders, replace them with something smaller (and probably take out a bit of lift to keep things in proportion), and put that money back into the truck. Just a thought...
qwertyd10n
Canada

Post by qwertyd10n »

Jason & JC - what kind of trouble do you think I'll have getting any truck of this vintage to pass the AB Out-of-Province inspection?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Out of province (or out of Country, they are the same in Ab) Are really getting sticky.
When I had the Bricklin done, they calipered the discs/drums, measured tolerances on ball joints, etc.. So I would say it better be in almost perfect running order to pass,,,, means no rusted out cab mounts, good, working brakes, tight steering, all safety features (lights, horn, brake lights signal lights, wipers.. wipers are a big one on a slick) working perfect.

Cost me $150 in Lethbridge, bet the inspection is closer to $250 in Calgary. Plus whatever they find that you need fixed.
Alberta vehicle is the way to go to avoid that, and there was a guy on the old site selling 66 merc 4x4 in Calgary on the old site, but I dunno if he still has it.
http://groups.msn.com/slick60sfordfseri ... otoID=4782
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on September 13, 2007, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

You could get collector-specific insurance (no inspection required), but I think there are limits placed on your usage of the vehicle. I'm not sure how they would view using it as a grocery-getter, for example. Driving to car shows would be okay, but taking it to work would be a no-no.

I do know that with pickups, you can't have any holes in the cab through which exhaust gas can enter. That is, the cab corners have to be solid, no holes in the floor allowed, etc. Minor surface rust spots would likely be okay. It needs to have good alignment, which could cause you some problems, particularly with a 4x4. I think they are picky about windshields these days too. Other than that, all the lighting and electrical will have to be in good working order, the shocks may need to be free of leaks, and the tires will need to be in good shape with a serviceable amount of tread remaining (2/32" was the minimum depth last time I checked). You'll need a good exhaust, brakes, etc...

To make a long story short, I think they go through the entire truck, top to bottom. My main concern would be winding up with something that needed a complete front end rebuild.

I had a complete inspection done on my '92 Acura when I moved out here last year, and that cost me $120 or so. The only thing they noted was that my licence plate lights were out, so they just replaced the bulbs free of charge.
qwertyd10n
Canada

Post by qwertyd10n »

The Toronto truck I posted pics of has had all the suspension and drivetrain work done by National 4wd and it's still under warranty. They also conveniently have a shop in Calgary... so I'm not too worried about that aspect.

There doesn't happen to be any members out the TO area that can recommend a good shop to do an overall inspection? The owner has said he has no problem if I want to subject it to something along that line... if I do decide to move forward with it, that would help to alleviate some of the fears I have.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Also Jason In Airdrie still has his 2wd '65 Merc for sale as far as I know. He also met the dude with the 4x4 Merc I posted before.
http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2695
http://fordtruk.com/forums/album_showpa ... user_id=21