I-beam question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rc1099

I-beam question

Post by rc1099 »

I have a 66 F100 and I am doing a disc brake conversion. I have the spindles, discs, and calipers from a 1976 F100. I plan on buying DJM lowered I-beams. Because I now have 76 spindles, would I need to buy I-beams for a 1976 to match the king pin size?
1966 Longbed 460
1968 Shortbed 390
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

My understanding is they are the same. You could always ask the service tech, or if you can find them listed online, see if two different part numbers are listed. Not much changed from 65 to 79 on the F100 front ends. I swapped 76 F150 components onto my 66 to get discs like your doing, other than making new brake lines it was a bolt together project.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

The king pin size is the same for both years. My '66 has it's original I-beams, with '76 spindles.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
rc1099

Post by rc1099 »

Thanks, I was just wondering because DJM had different part numbers for the lowered I-beams. I'll make sure to call up and ask before I order them.
1966 Longbed 460
1968 Shortbed 390
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

"rc"
What may be different is the wedgebolt location that locks the King Pin into the I-Beam end, keeping it from moving so spindle rotates correctly on the king pin, and the pin doesn't rotate in the I-Beam end bore. . . .

Not all wedge bolts are located the same. Measure the location of your 66 & your 76 donor & compare them, you might find a difference there.

Of course you can always cut a wedge bolt notch in either king pin where you need/ want it, but I think getting correct set up, so it bolts together, hassle free, is the best route to take, IMHO. . . . :wink:

FBp :roll:
Change is the Only Constant
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Pete, that was the only difference I could think of, but I am not sure if that makes much difference. When I swapped to discs, I buggered up one of those pins and the only one I could buy without buying a whole other kingpin set was for the year that takes the longer pin. I figured 5 bucks is cheaper than 40 so I bought the long/wrong pin. figured I could cut it down if needed, but 900+ miles later it seems to be doing fine as is.

I do think the king pin height changes by like 1/8" around '75 or so, but I don't think that would be an issue.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

The other issue is the spindle stop location. It changed as well.

Order the same years for spindle and ibeam to avoid making a custom "enlarged" bolt head to adress the spindle stop missmatch.

The axel pivot and radius arm geometry is the same, though there were changes in spring height I think, as well as the addition of a spring "keeper" which replaced the "hooks" on the 65-66. Those issues should not be a problem for you, given your drop I setup. Do the drop Ibeams come with different spings as well?

What has been said about king pins thus far is correct by my experience as well.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

:iagree:
Yeah you're right Dave, the stop is different, I forgot about that. I'm curious if "DJM" is that deep into it tho'? :hm:

"rc" when you are talking to them check that out and give us a heads up, will ya? Because perhaps they are into it that much and that would be good to know.

A lot of folks like to slam their rides, although I don't really care to, somebody will come thru my door & that sort of knowledge would be good to have. :thumright:
Anyhow, I'd get the Dropped I-Beams to fit the spindles you are going to use. We know they will fit either truck as far as length & pivot dim's go.
Also make sure you can tell the difference between left & right, [dirver's side & passenger's side] mixing that up makes for wierd problems. Don't ask how I learned that, Okay?
Thanx :steering:

FBp Bolt.gif
Change is the Only Constant