Cast iron four barrel intake

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

lineman1984
United States of America

Cast iron four barrel intake

Post by lineman1984 »

I am in negotiations with a local CraigsLister to purchase a cast iron four barrel intake for my FE. He is asking $50. The part number is C5AE9425, it has 5022 embossed right above the part number. Any idea about what model this may have come off of? Also, wanted to install a new Edelbrock Performer carb with this intake. My truck has a mild cam, flamethrower coil and points, stock exhaust manifolds and, true duals. I was thinking a 600 CFM carb. Any input or feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks and God Bless,
Justin
tomrooster
United States of America

Re: Cast iron four barrel intake

Post by tomrooster »

The price sounds OK and 600 cfm should be good if your FE is a 352 and used on the street. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

There should be the letter C at the end of the part number, its for 352 and 390 car motor. the number above it is the build date code check and make sure that the o isent a C. If its a C the date would 1965 March, 22nd. 600 cfm should do fine.

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Just my personal opinion; I would not even consider spending the money to replace one boat anchor manifold with another cast iron one on an FE. Regardless if the manifold is either a C or O suffix, there is not enough bang for the buck in buying the manifold, carburetor and gaskets to justify the cost and effort. This is especially true if you have an automatic, requiring the additional purchase of the ford throttle kick-down lever, plus modifying or finding a replacement for the kick-down linkage. You also might check with Edelbrock; my opinion is that the 1406 Performer would be marginal with any semblance of performance cam. It might just entail richening it up a little to be satisfactory; but I would spend the little additional money for a good dual plane aluminum intake and a little bit more carburetion than that offered by the Performer.
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Straying off topic some.

Post by chris401 »

I have that intake also. I considered filling in the heat cross over with grout and using a block off intake gaskets. Due to the large runner size on the intake and small 352 air pull I think it will stay open to help atomize the fuel better. The best factory intake for a truck in my opinion is the C6AE-G with large S on #1 runner. Its similar to the Edelbrock Performer 390 in performance and design. For my F250 build it gained 2" of vacuum and 1.5 mpg over an Edelbrock Street Master 390 and pulled a trailer with more umph at low rpm.
Chris
didgeytrucker

Post by didgeytrucker »

That "S" intake is the 390GT intake, a different animal compared to all the other FE 4V intakes, except for the 428 CJ intake. If you just want a 4 barrel carb, a $50 cast iron intake is not a bad start. They are more fun to drive than a 2V carb with a little more punch when the secondaries open. If you're building a driver, not a racer, you won't miss the difference compared to a performance manifold.

Tracy
1956 F-100 Panel w/429 (3.50 9")
1966 F-100 SWB w/351C (3.25 9" - 3.70 posi for Saturday nights)
Music City F-100's,
1965 GT-350 S/C (2.78 1st & 3.70 TracLok 9")
Music City Mustang Club
1969 Schwinn StingRay
Don't focus on the destination....make the JOURNEY the adventure
lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

Thanks guys for all of the detailed responses. A little more information on Bernadette and her engine. The motor is a 360 from a mid 70's F250. And, the intake is a C code. I am running a floor shifted three speed. My plan is that for only $50 I can't go wrong. I totally understand your thoughts Paul but, convincing my prettier half to let me spend $800 to $1000 on an intake and carb will be a tough sale. Instead I plan to get this cheaper intake and still have the money to get a quality Edelbrock carb. I plan to upgrade to aluminum in the future but, that will probably be a few years. One question I have is if I should spend the extra $30 for a 750 instead of a 600 carb? Will I be able to tune the 750 down for the cast iron intake and still be able to turn it up for an aluminum intake and headers in the future? Or, should I just go with a 600 CFM? Thanks Y'all!
Justin
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

From my trusty H & H Pocket Dyno book:

The CFM of your carb (assuming 100% volumetric efficiency) is given by the formula

CFM= ((CID) x (RPM)) /3456

So, @ 4000 RPM: 451 CFM
@ 4500 RPM: 508 CFM
@ 5000 RPM: 564 CFM
@ 5500 RPM: 621 CFM
@ 6000 RPM: 677 CFM

So, ask yourself what your average RPM is, and compare to the CFM's above.

Most people have a tendency to go far lager than needed.........
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I might have mis-led you as to my "more carburetion" remark. The "rated" air flow is fine; Edelbrock will be the first to tell you they don't recommend the 1406 carb for an FE with a performance cam. I don't know what you are considering a "mild cam". Playing with the jetting, of course, is an easy solution. I agree that big carbs on the street are often a detriment. I am also not sure the manifold Chris is referring to would be of any benefit on a "mild" 360. You can often find a decent aftermarket manifold for about another hundred over the one you are considering. I'm getting to the age that I'm spoiled by lighter weight manifolds, especially on the FE's. My experience is that there is little actual gain in changing to a four barrel on the smaller FE's. If you want the sound and feel of the secondaries, then it may be worth it. My preference would be a much cheaper and easier to install replacement two barrel carb without all the attendant ( and cost/labor intensive) changes, especially if you may in fact consider another intake system upgrade in the future.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Not sure where your buying your parts but 800-1000 bucks for an aluminum intake and carb is WAY over priced. You can pick up a used aluminum intake for 100-150 bucks and about the same for a carb. I wouldn't even consider going back with cast iron, especially if its not a performance model. JMO.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

done enough FE cast iron lifting in my lifetime to say you are well better off finding a used aluminum intake, there are plenty out there for a reasonable price
and the minor (in my opinion ) increased expense over the iron comes with a benefit of saving your back, while you might not worry about that now, later on ypu will be thanking us old farts with sore backs for sound advice

:2cents:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton