Tell me about wiper switches....

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Leeroy
Australia

Tell me about wiper switches....

Post by Leeroy »

Thanks to John (1964 700) I now have the correct RHD wiper brackets and motor, but I do need the switch.
Local mobs want something ridiculous for wiper switches ($200!!!) So I'm looking at options...... The one in the slick is unsuitable, as the whole setup is from a different car company :cussing:
Ive done a fair bit of research on this and the other site about using a later model switch, but the plugs are entirely different. I don't mind making an 'adaptor' harness if I have to use the later switch, but there seems to be little info on the wiper motor wiring setup.
If I am going to go the newer model switch, I'd prefer one with the washer squirter as part of the switch.

This is what I have...

Lastly, anyone know what the screw thread is for the wiper bracket mount to the cowl/firewall? Mine are still in tact so trying to re-tap them before the cagenut snaps off. :lol:
William-in-St George

Re: Tell me about wiper switches....

Post by William-in-St George »

I use a later Ford switch, intermittent relay and two speed motors. Harvested from a later truck or bronco these are basically a plug and play system with all Ford parts. These switches also have the washer circuit. I saw off the later knob and use a 66 knob so everything looks original except you get washers, delay wipers and a two speed system. The later motors bolt in with the original brackets and bolts. You will need the bell crank off your 66 motor. Soak your bracket bolts for a couple days to loosen them up and the cage nuts will hold. I see these setups on ebay all the time. Do a search here for delay wipers and you could also check over on FTE. There is a delay set up on ebay right now with a nice picture as well.
William-in-St. George
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

^^ I'd really like to do that mod, but I have no wipers at all at the moment and trying to find out if the RHD stuff is a plug and play is a bit harder to find as we don't have them in the junkyards like you guys, and the people who have the parts just throw their hands up in the air and shrug. Its on the list of to do's, but for the sake of getting it registered I'd just like them to work at the moment :lol:
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Leroy, I do not think there is a difference between right/left hand drive. as I posted earlier all that matters is where the wipers park. I just did this on my truck and the motor that I acquired had to be re drilled to fit the old bracket.
When I went to put the under dash together I found the motor hit the heater. I pulled it apart marked where the wiper drive needed to face when park, re drilled mounting holes so it would fit, and attached the arm where it needed to go. took about an hour with a drill press. I did need to tack the drive arm so it would not spin under the nut.

If you can source a left hand drive with intermittent wipers locally, you may just have to unbolt the old and bolt in the new... mine is a 61 unibody yours may just need a wrench.
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

I can bolt the LHD motor in and see what happens (the switch is hardwired on the LHD one)
Can the park positions be adjusted?
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

I used the motor from a bronco and the intermittent switch from a mid 70's pickup. I used the knob from the 65 and all looks original.
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home