Have Truck. Will haul. A tribute project.

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Qcowboy

Have Truck. Will haul. A tribute project.

Post by Qcowboy »

Howdy Slick lovers! New guy here, near Denver, Colorado.

My project is a truck that belonged to my best friend, Terry. He bought this '62 wrongbed shortly before I met him, around thirty years ago. Terry was a typical starving artist who spent most of his time painting, but never sold much artwork. He paid the bills with this truck. For decades, he kept a running advertisement in the local classified ads. Back before Craigslist, the newspapers charged by the word, so Terry kept his ad short and sweet: "Have Truck. Will haul. 745-6075"

Most of the people who hired Terry were real estate agents who needed someone to clear up messes in the yard to get a house ready for sale, or clear out a basement. Terry built a steady business hauling stuff to the recycling center and the dump. He hauled it all in this old slick. I can't count the number of times I saw this truck driving through town, stacked up with junk in the most wildly precarious piles, headed for the dump. I wonder how many times Terry had to stop and re-load the truck after hitting a pothole! :oops:

The truck always ran, but it never ran well. It ran a bit like it looks: rough, loud, weak. But it was enough to get back and forth to the dump. Since Terry wasn't much of a mechanic, he just kept putting gas in it and driving it, until one of the wheel bearings started grinding into dust. Then he parked it.

Sadly, Terry had a stroke at age 50, and died a couple days later. His wife passed his truck on to me. For my part, I plan to make it run and drive well, replace the wrongbed with the right one, paint the new bed to match the patina on the cab, paint Terry's "business name" (Have Truck, Will Haul) on the doors in simple hand lettering, and then drive it. When Terry's son, who is eleven now, is old enough to drive, I'll teach him to drive a stick and give the truck to him. In the meantime, the truck project will give the two of us a good excuse to spend some time together.

Here's the boy, "helping" me get the truck onto a trailer after his dad's funeral:

The first project was to replace the seats. Shortly after Terry bought the truck, he had a friend install bucket seats for him. I only drove the truck a couple times because it was highly uncomfortable. You see, my friend Terry was "vertically challenged" standing about five foot nuthin' tall. Those bucket seats were mounted so that he sat up high, and could see over the dash. When I sat on the same seats, my head cocked sideways, pushing against the sagging headliner. Besides, the bucket seats were completely worn out after thirty years in the Wyoming sun.

Since I didn't have the original seat to work with, I started looking for a replacement bench seat. Then one day, searching craigslist for bench seats, I found the back seat from a crew-cab Dodge pickup. Since I own a Dodge pickup with a similar seat, I went out and started measuring. Sure enough, the seat would fit well, bolted to the custom-made angle-iron frame the buckets were mounted on, which incorporated the factory seat sliders underneath. It put the Dodge seat at the perfect height. Mounting it was as easy as bolting the Dodge seat on top of the existing base.That was easy!

Next up was some maintenance on a long-neglected engine. The thing ran, and got down the road just fine, but it rattled like half the valves were about to come loose, and the carburetor leaked horribly from the throttle pump. I ordered up a carb kit, rebuilt the carb, and adjusted the valves. OMG, the number one exhaust valve was so loose I suspect the engine was effectively running on seven cylinders. No way that loose exhaust valve would have opened more than a tiny crack. There were lots of other extremely loose valves too. After the carb rebuild and valve adjustment, the truck runs as smooth as butter!

Next on the list is a new shift knob, to replace the seventies-tastic Hurst knob, and then a custom floor console to hold my drink, phone and a hidden stereo. I guess I also need to add a steering wheel to the project list. This one still works amazingly well, for as little as there is left of it!
mercuryv8
Canada

Re: Have Truck. Will haul. A tribute project.

Post by mercuryv8 »

Wow what a story! I can't wait to see your project come together.

Nic
Qcowboy

Post by Qcowboy »

Is a jewelled shift knob just lipstick on a pig?

For sure. But that's a bit of the style I envision for this project. I want to keep the cool patina outside, but make the interior sparkle, so that people are taken aback when they walk up to the truck at a show and expect to see a worn interior that matches the outside. So how to put lipstick on this pig? Start with a new shift knob: custom-turned Russian Olive burl wood, inlaid with brass and jade, and a jade cabochon mounted up top to match. That should compliment my vision for the interior. Maybe I'll work some more Russian Olive and Jade into the rest of the interior as I improve it! Another part of my vision for the truck is as a tribute both to my buddy Terry and to my former life in Wyoming. The Russian Olive burl comes from a tree at my family's ancestral ranch in Wyoming, and the jade comes from my mine in the Granite Mountains. (Jade is also the official state gemstone in Wyoming. The Granite Mountains is the first place jade was found in the western hemisphere in modern times.)

Out with the old, in with the new!

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Welcome; I agree with Merc on the story, and you certainly put it together well for us!
Sounds like quite a plan, and since we are generally a helpful lot, I think you have chosen a good site. We can probably help not just with info, but parts and sources. One note, you appear to be aware that the wrongbed is the "right" bed. Because of the wheelbase differences between yours and the "right bed" trucks, the later Styleside does not fit well. Many of us have finally come to terms with the "wrongbed"; I suspect you may also!
Don't hesitate to inquire; we enjoy "spreading the word" on these trucks, and the cumulative accurate knowledge here is un-matched, IMO!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Great story. Keep us updated on your progress! :D
Qcowboy

Post by Qcowboy »

Toyz wrote: . . . you appear to be aware that the wrongbed is the "right" bed. Because of the wheelbase differences between yours and the "right bed" trucks, the later Styleside does not fit well. Many of us have finally come to terms with the "wrongbed"; I suspect you may also!
Thanks Paul. The difference in the wheelbase is news to me. I thought I was getting on top of this truck after reading (largely here) for months. Inevitably, there's more to learn. :shock:

My wrongbed is very rusty. It's probably saveable, but if I'm going to do that much welding, I may as well shorten a bed from a later truck. Oddly enough, I used the bed replacement as an excuse to hone my welding skills anyway. I found a guy selling a later longbed box. When I went to look, he had a second longbed box inside the first one, cut into five pieces at the scrap yard! I decided to buy it all, figuring that I could re-assemble the cut-up box, and teach myself to weld with oxy-acetylene in the process. If it works, I can turn around and sell the complete box for what I paid for them both.

Well, the five pieces are one again, so I'll shortly have the second longbed for sale. Now that my welding skills are limbered up, I guess it's time to do some measuring and shorten the bed I just re-assembled!

Maybe I can document the process as a tutorial on bed-shortening!
Farmageddon

Post by Farmageddon »

Welcome Qcowboy from Lakewood Colorado, I look forward to seeing the progress on your slick.
Qcowboy

Post by Qcowboy »

Thanks, neighbor!
beater_renix
United States of America

Post by beater_renix »

That's an awesome backstory. I'll be watching this build.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

A gas welder! You are a rare breed. Though I've heard if you can weld with gas moving to TIG is easy, and most people can use a MIG with a little practice.
Qcowboy

Post by Qcowboy »

bruceandersson wrote:A gas welder! You are a rare breed. Though I've heard if you can weld with gas moving to TIG is easy, and most people can use a MIG with a little practice.
Funny, I don't think of myself as a gas welder, since I'm just learning. I think of myself as an arc welder, which is probably an equally rare breed. I've been arc welding since I was around ten years old. But even with decades of practice, arc welding is an awful way to weld sheet metal. In a perfect world, I'd have simply taken up mig or tig for this project. I took up gas instead because I already have the tools. I have an oxy-acetylene torch and tanks because I put myself through college as a jeweler, and I use the torch to melt precious metal for casting large pieces and for recycling gold and silver scrap.
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Qcowboy, I know old square fridge beds aren't as cool as styleside ones,
but they will grow on ya. Great story about your friend Terry. Awful shame
he had to leave this earth so young. Proud of you for what you have in mind
for Terry's son as well. Hope you can drive it to Salina this August and hang
out with us. Keep us posted on the work! And :welcome: to Slick 60s! TR