go directly to the parts store, do not pass go, aaaargh!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ICEMAN6166
Poland

go directly to the parts store, do not pass go, aaaargh!

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

last august this happened which i posted in a thread started by Rich 64f100 about radiators

the other day my thermostat stuck closed
steamed out on the side of the road
i was only a few miles from home so i had my wife bring some h2o
big green sticky mess all over the engine compartment
yesterday i took out the t-stat, only 3 years old and even USA made
always used 195*
when i bought that one i bought 2 so i had one for a spare
decided 3 years was not long enough life so i decided not to use the other new one, instead opting for an almost new still shiny stant 180 i had
after i put it in seemed like i had a radiator leak
out with that radiator
i swear that thing weighs 50 lbs. empty
cleaned the whole thing off real good set it up in the 90* sunlight and plugged the hose ends and filled it with water
never did leak a drop , and the sun dried it all out so once again i lifeted in the heavy thing
ran the truck for about 40 minutes varying the idle,never topped 180
bought a new cap too
now i can drain out the h2o and refill with the proper coolant

if your temp gauge always runs in the same spot and even on a hot day you notice its 10 degrees warmer on the gauge, investigate
i was pushing pretty hard in some steep hills
stopped about 20 miles before the steamout, was no hissing or steaming there, only the extra 10 on the gauge
but after that i got stuck behind a very large farm tractor taking up the lane and the shoulder going about 20 mph
time i got past him the temp had gone past 220 and speed would not bring it down

now the rest of the story

truck was inside all winter front clip off while i was redoing the floor, core support and a bunch of other work
finally got things back together where i could start it up again and now this

truck suffered a semi-serious setback yesterday, im sure related to the stuck closed thermostat i suffered on the way back from your house last year
after replacing it seemed like everything was ok
truck was apart all winter and just last week i repaired the end of my oil dipsick and the oil was still a nice new color and texture
i had gotten a new sending unit for oil pressure but when i started my truck up wed nite it did not work, i have setup boith gage and light and the light did work.anyways let the truck warm up to operating temp and sounded and idled good
yesterday seemed very nice, a little wind and so i backed out of the garage and Terry helped me with bleeding my brakes
as i had installed a new mc,wheel cylinder and rubber lines up front
after lunch i went to the parts store to see about the sending unit and a possible warranty return as it had been a few months and its box went in the woodstove.the store owner told me if i brought it in he would test it, by reading the ohms
under pressure. i was attemting to do this underneath the truck with it running when i noticed a small oil drip but it was milky grey, not the new color of a week ago when i last checked it. sure enough when i pulled the dipstick the water and oil mix was readily observed
so i spent last evening tearing down the top end, removing both heads
the heads looked very good and so did the cylinders, nothing seemed very off in either
so this morning
go directly to the parts store,do not pass go and do not collect but likely spend $200
Terry said better here in the yard than someplace in the middle of the USA where you cant do much about it

dont know why the gaskets did not blow when the t-stat stuck but i think they were severely compromised and it took just a bit to kill it. not sure which side as they did not come off whole and it was late and i was pretty tired
sure wish i had known this before reassembling the front clip as its a whole lot easier to remove them standing beside rather than leaning over the fenders :lol:

slickstock or bust
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: go directly to the parts store, do not pass go, aaaargh!

Post by slick4x4 »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:
slickstock or bust

:clap:
see you in AUGUST :D
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

slick4x4 wrote:
ICEMAN6166 wrote:
slickstock or bust

:clap:
see you in AUGUST :D
the other night Terry woke up because the dogs were making a lot of noise.
there were 3 loose horses in our yard
i asked her why she did not go out and lassoo them so i could hook them up to a wagon and have a 3hp ride to ss :lol:
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Dadstruk
United States of America

Post by Dadstruk »

have a 3hp ride to ss
But why would you want a cheby? :lol:
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Brian,

I feel your agony & frustration, but I admire what you're doing.

Try to look at your situation this way - consider the guy down the road with the 2005 or newer PSD 4X4 F250 truck will likely NEVER get the satisfaction out of doing that type & degree of work on his truck. Sometimes I envy the fella that has the ability to simply drop off his truck at the dealers for the PSD head gasket replacement......but I don't envy the shock he'll get when he sees his invoice for the PSD head gasket replacement work.

BarnieTrk
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

much as i dont care for the time delay in getting my truck back on the road, nor the mess to clean up it did give an opportunity to inspect the innards , which is not a bad thing.
the valves look very good, very minor ridge at the top of the cylinders, pushrods and rockers in fine shape so once everything is cleaned, painted and put back together i can be happy about knowing the condition before a planned long trip.
i ordered the full gasket set, oddly it was almost $30 cheaper than the head set and even though i had a lot of them already i never cry about having spares.

the work itself does not bother me much, would much rather do it myself as i can see and examine everything first hand rather than at a shop where
"you are entitled to the return of all parts except those which are too heavy or large or those required for core"
i could argue all day about too heavy or large, imo if i can get it in the bed myself its neither of those and you never get to see what gets sent back for cores
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Wow Brian, glad you found that now. Much better
than having to do it out on the road somewhere else.
See you in Salina! TR