New steel bed floor sections coming!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

needmoretime

New steel bed floor sections coming!

Post by needmoretime »

Carolina Classics is asking for feedback on the possible release of steel bed floor sections. Rick has these calculated to ship reasonably in sections. A whole floor would be cost prohibited due to shipping size. Either way he needs to know your feedback before investing in the expese of dies and production. Your support allows repop parts to become reality.

Thanks for helping with this,

WK

[albumimg]2930[/albumimg]
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

I'll take 2 please cheerleader.gif Any idea what prices are and when the'll be ready
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

Hey Mike,
Give Rick a cal land talk to him. He is on to something here but needs our help as well.

Hope all is well.

:cheers:
65 F100 CC

Post by 65 F100 CC »

i am interested, especially if they will be ready before the F100 SuperNats next March, will save on shipping.

Mark.
If you drive a Chevy, you better have a Good Wrench and even the name Dodge, tells you to avoid it!
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Will these floors fit all 61 to 66 Styleside Short or long wheelbase? Sounds great.
Jim
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

I need to replace a front section. the add looks like 3 sections to replace a bed floor?
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Yellardawg

Post by Yellardawg »

I called them this morning to tell them what I thought and was told that they haven't had alot of feedback and sounded concerned about the start up costs of this part.

Give them a call so they know that there is a need out here.
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

very interested in the bed sections for '65-'66.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

dotcentral wrote:I need to replace a front section. the add looks like 3 sections to replace a bed floor?

Maybe you could buy a full set and split it with someone.
Jim
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Man, if they do them in the sections pictured, that makes for some mighty long welds. :shock: A nice, new, straight, rust free bed floor sounds awesome, though!
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

Alright, would you spend hundreds of dollars shipping a whole floor or get a whole floor in 3 sections and piece it together? My thought is most everyone only needs pieces and sections and would not replace an entire floor. It would be possible to replace the whole floor and if that is the case a long weld on a truck thats needs a whole floor is probably not as big a deal as the project itself! Most beds need the front and rear unless a big ol 352 was rolling around in the back.

:2cents:
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Just buy the three pieces and do with it as you like. That's what fabricatin' is all about........................
Jim
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Ok, I hear ya. :)
Sooo...is it better to have them made in sections running front to rear, or side to side? For example, usually the rust at the front of the bed goes all the way across, so having one piece would be nice...but trying to weld across all the peaks & valleys could be a pain.

In the case that a guy would want a whole floor, I suppose the three sections could be laid out on the floor, welded up, then lifted into the bed as one piece & welded in from there.
Maybe the repop pieces could be made with stepped flanges pre-made into the pieces, so they sorta fit together like a puzzle as you tack 'em together?
I dunno, I'm just spitballing here. :popcorn:
Regardless, I'm happy to see more good repop stuff coming our way. :thumright:

jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

I dunno, I'm just spitballing here.

I think this product offered in sections will benifit many projects but I DEFINATELY see where you are coming from Slick Fan. I am going to replace my floor in one section. My bed floor has rust issues and the seam (just welded in a few spots) where I shortened my box. The body shop I deal with at work hooked me up with a guy that has a damaged '03 Superduty box. The floor is good, the measurement between the wheel tubs is the same as my '66 slick box, and the "ribbs" are very close if not exactly the same as the slick. I will definatly be a challange removing the "material" but I think in the long run it will be worth it. I'm stoked, I pick up the Super Duty box tommorow night.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Sounds great! I'm betting the ribs are a bit different from a purist standpoint, but who cares? A nice, straight, rust free floor will be the prize!
Show us some pics of the ordeal when you can. :D

jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I agree with Slick Fan. If you are lucky enough to score a new bed, go for it. I never have been a fan of "Every bolt has to go in a certain hole" to be correct. And yes, we want pics!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
Comet

Post by Comet »

JC Whitney already sells 1/2 sections. That market is taken care of. I would love a full section bed floor. I've actually been looking for years for such a source. I ended up buying a used bed from a junk yard with a good floor, but finding that took years too.
I have no problem with fabbing two pieces together, but I wanted a clean full bed floor with straight as an arrow lines.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Comet wrote:JC Whitney already sells 1/2 sections. That market is taken care of.

Not so fast.
I believe those a 'generic' bed floors, and the contours do not match those found in the factory bed.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
MrEvil

Post by MrEvil »

If it'll work for a Uni, I might be interested, otherwise no.
Vehicles:

2000 F250 Superduty Crew cab
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(work beater)
1961 F100 Uni (my baby)
1966 Thunderbird: someday.
Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

If they were to purchase a pressbrake rib die at least 8' long, they could run it in a 12' press and offer several configurations, including a full floor. Thing is though, it probably wouldn't be exact (I think some of the ribs are continuous and some aren't), as the ribs would all have to be the same. The panel size would only be limited by the blank you started with. Some floors might be a custom order if you wanted larger panels. Just a thought.