Did a search for information on kickdown linkage and found

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Did a search for information on kickdown linkage and found

Post by 64 f100 »

390 C6 install with aluminum intake and 1 inch carb spacer. I've found a couple of problems . One the rod hits the firewall protrusion. Second how critical is this adjustment on a C6? How much does it have to move to work correctly?
chris401
United States of America

Re: Did a search for information on kickdown linkage and fo

Post by chris401 »

64 f100 wrote:390 C6 install with aluminum intake and 1 inch carb spacer. I've found a couple of problems . One the rod hits the firewall protrusion. Second how critical is this adjustment on a C6? How much does it have to move to work correctly?
They need to provide the right detent for the engine load. Your post reminded me of when I had a C6/390 with Street Master and Port-O-Sonic intakes. I had a few different rods, some bent, some dinged flatter and one made from two different rods held together with heater hose clamps.
Chris
DanSanDiego2000

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

For a customer with a '66 F100, 390, C6, I did a cable kickdown from Jegs, or Lokar, or similar. It was quick, clean, simple, and inexpensive. It would probably alleviate most challenges from Carb Spacers, Sloppy Linkages, or any other peculiarity we often encounter. With the intake swap we did, and the kickdown conversion, this truck went from a slushy, boring 3-speed, to a responsive, haul-ass, passing gear launching Hot Rod Truck.

Dan
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

DanSanDiego2000 wrote:For a customer with a '66 F100, 390, C6, I did a cable kickdown from Jegs, or Lokar, or similar. It was quick, clean, simple, and inexpensive. It would probably alleviate most challenges from Carb Spacers, Sloppy Linkages, or any other peculiarity we often encounter. With the intake swap we did, and the kickdown conversion, this truck went from a slushy, boring 3-speed, to a responsive, haul-ass, passing gear launching Hot Rod Truck.

Dan
That is a good idea. I ran into firewall interference when stacking spacers.
Chris
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Thanks for the response's. Seems like I have a kickdown Lokar cable I was not impressed with laying around here somewhere. I had not installed it as I have not finished the truck it was bought for. May be a good time to mess with it. For the money it looked like a ripoff to me, as you have to build your own brackets and stuff to make it work. As is, I have to rebuild the cable bracket on the manifold to make that work, so no stretch there I guess. I am getting tired of work arounds, seems like this whole engine change has been a work around. Might have helped had I not decided to change to disc brakes, power steering, motor/ transmission all at the same time. Been nothing but fun trying to get it back on the road. I hope it all works right when back on the road. Frankly, I feel lost without my everyday beater. Hopefully, by this weekend I will have it together and on the road.