Beware of Rock Auto

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

BobbyFord

Beware of Rock Auto

Post by BobbyFord »

I normally buy my parts from the local auto parts store but for performance parts or other goodies I use Summit Racing. I looked for a specific part on Summit's website and they didn't have it in stock and the estimated delivery date was the first week of January. I did a Google shopping search and Rock Auto came up. I've never bought anything from them so I thought I'd give them a try because the item was "in stock" and would ship immediately. I normally use a web based email address when ordering online but I screwed up and used my primary email address. Within one day my email was blowing up with spam from alphabet jumbled email addresses. All of it was home related stuff; window replacement, home loans, time share, solar, house warranty, etc. Non-stop now for four days. The only other thing I order with my primary email is coffee and I've never had a problem with spam ordering from Keurig.
It gets better. The parts arrived today. I ordered Moog tie rod ends and Monroe shock absorbers.
Moog is Moog and comes in factory boxes. The shocks arrived in plain wrap boxes. When I took the shocks out of the boxes I could tell that the factory product labeling stickers had been peeled off of the shocks leaving the sticky adhesive behind in a rectangle shape. Upon further inspection it was obvious that the shock boxes had been opened and resealed with a glue gun. I have no idea what brand shocks were in that box and I've never seen quality brand shocks without factory product name stickers. Clearly, bait and switch. The shocks are already on their way back to Rock Auto and I sent them an email to alert them.
I'm curious to see how they respond.
tomsrod
United States of America

Re: Beware of Rock Auto

Post by tomsrod »

I've bought a number of parts for a 1969 Wagoneer that I'm restoring without a single problem. I go to them when the local stores can't help. They've always handled returns quickly and fairly. I suspect you may have been sold parts someone returned and swapped other shocks for. It happens all the time in retail. My neighbor's daughter works at the Wally World customer counter. She said people put items in original boxes and then return them and keep the original item.
Rockauto does a lot of drop shipping so your shocks could have come from anywhere. Let us know how it comes out. It may influence future purchases there.
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

Tomsrod, do you have pictures of the Wagoneer? always liked the ones with the 350 Buick.
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

I've bought parts from them, never really had a problem and you can sometimes get some really good prices. They ship from multiple locations so as others have pointed out likely drop shipping from other suppliers. Post back your results on the returns.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

ImageIMG_7239 by [url=https://flic.kr/p/2cmL6Kx]ImageIMG_7245 by [url=https://flic.kr/p/2dKpCJP]ImageIMG_7237 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/112689363@N07/]

It has since been gutted, stripped to bare metal and will be off to paint right after the new year. It does have the original Buick 350, TH400 transmission and Dana 20. All power train components have been rebuilt as well as all fuel, brake and electrical components. I'm either going with Jeep Hunter Green 1991 color only or Ford Guard Green from late model F150s. I still have my 1966 F250 4x4, but have always like the Kaiser era jeeps and got going on this one.

Pat
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

That's the one I like! Thanks for posting the pictures. Can't wait to see it finished.
BobbyFord

Post by BobbyFord »

Parts were confirmed returned three days ago.
No response from emails, no correspondence, no refund.