Working a side job

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Working a side job

Post by shipwrecked »

A few months ago I did that heater core job on a dodge Dakota. The lady I did that job for knows a guy who works out at our base gym. He needs help on his boat because arthritis, pinched nerves, cancer etc has taken a toll and he can’t boat anymore. His boat has sat almost as long as he’s owned it and it needs work in prep for sale.

I agreed to come down and help him out when I have time, to make a little cash on the side. This also was agreed upon before government shut down. I was hoping to make money to buy tires for the f100. Now I’m just putting it in savings.

Anyway, here are some photos of the job I’m working. Needed to remove an old battery charger that doesn’t work. Fix the battery hookups. Chase some failed equipment and whatnot.

He paid a marina mechanic to install new batteries. This wasn’t even a concern to mention to the owner apparently...
Some people shouldn’t own boats.

These are the house batteries.

This is the engine battery. No charger attached.

Found random wires not even hooked up. The terminal connector was broken off.

I spent a lot of time tracing wires, adding new connections, waterproofing etc.
New battery charger installed.

I did what he asked, made $100.00 cash and got myself more work to come on this boat. He’s got things here and there that need attention.

$100.00 was the easiest I’ve made. I am not selling cheep or charity. I charged due to complexity. This was easy.

Money on the side is helpful in emergency.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Re: Working a side job

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Sounds like a good deal both ways, I used to charge $25 - 35 an hour mates rates, sometimes didn't take any money
Had a tree Lopper friend come over and cut down 2 palms a couple of weeks ago, he was here 1 hour flat out and I removed all
rubbish. He charged me $160.00.... some mates rates, I find it hard talking to him at the moment. I must be too old school or just a cheapscape !
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

April that's real good that you can do things for some extra $$$ and shows that have other skillls
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Great work April. That's what I've done my whole life. I exercise my talents in doing jobs that computers can't take over.

In most things I do with the talents that the Lord blessed me with, it would be extremely hard to replace me. Not that I'm
stuck up or nothing but I usually won't take on a side job until someone says, I can't find anybody that can fix it. It's more
of a "don't tell me that I can't fix it" thing, but I still don't overcharge anyone. I was fixing minor dents in cars for
people when I was 13 years old.

Most people say I wouldn't do it for that amount of money....... I try to make everyone happy.

I don't get rich, but I haven't been broke in over 52 years.
skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

Alan Mclennan wrote:Sounds like a good deal both ways, I used to charge $25 - 35 an hour mates rates, sometimes didn't take any money
Had a tree Lopper friend come over and cut down 2 palms a couple of weeks ago, he was here 1 hour flat out and I removed all
rubbish. He charged me $160.00.... some mates rates, I find it hard talking to him at the moment. I must be too old school or just a cheapscape !
Wow that is cheap I had 5 trees cut down in October and they left all the burnable wood only hauled of branches and it was 7K dollars. The good news is I put a sign in the front yard free fire wood and 1 week later and 10 pickup loads and 5 trailer loads all the wood had been hauled away, When winter in Montana is coming there is no issue getting rid of wood.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Skidoo, they were palm trees, basically 2 x 20ft x 1ft dia round poles, that don't burn easy ..
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

How long did you work on the boat? $100 seems cheap if you spent any amount of time on it. My trade is electrical/HVAC, I could work as much side work as my extra time would allow. I charge about half what contractors charge around here and do about twice to work. An HVAC service call is $100-$120 and a min of three hours the labor rate. I try and level the playing field so everyone has a chance to get work done without missing next weeks dinners. Good for you April for getting after it!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Honestly I didn’t spend a ton of time there. Maybe 5 hours.

I’m going over again in a bit to do more work. It’s been raining and cold. I have another job after 4 today to do, so I can’t spend all day at the boat.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

April to me that’s not enough money, but you made the agreement. To me you shouldn’t sell your skills for less than $35 hr. I know many think of this differently with the overhead of business, but make sure you are being fairly compensated for your time. Just my two cents.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

ohmthis wrote:April to me that’s not enough money, but you made the agreement. To me you shouldn’t sell your skills for less than $35 hr. I know many think of this differently with the overhead of business, but make sure you are being fairly compensated for your time. Just my two cents.
:clap: could not agree more !

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS