1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Post by theastronaut »

The firewall to kick panel flange was really wavy around the spot welds so that was straightened, then I ground back the edges until the height of all the layers matched. (I thought more of this was visible, but it's mostly hidden under the inner fenders after test fitting them.)

The flange of the cowl skin was wrinkled and uneven so I trimmed both sides before final blasting.

With those spots finished up I rolled it out and blasted the inner layers of the cowl sides that were cut open, and I lightly blasted over the floor, firewall inside and out to prep for two coats of epoxy.

I started bodyworking the firewall by skimming the upper face and flange.

Once both sides were filled/blocked into the correct shape and straight I masked off the inside corner and used a spreader with the corner rounded off to make an even radius from side to side.

Floor pan and tunnel welds smoothed up enough for Raptor Liner.

Starting to straighten out the stamping distortion in the firewall.

Another coat of epoxy to seal the filler and extend the 7 day recoat window. Both mom and dad have had covid for the last 2.5 weeks so I wasn't able to get much done within the first 7 day window. They're both doing much better now and things should be back to normal soon.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

Now that my fingertips have grown back enough to type out an update... This is the real reason shaved firewalls are so popular lol.

I finished skimming and correcting the distortion in the firewall, then shot it with a few coats of Clausen All-U-Need. I've been wanting to try it since it's waterproof and is supposed to sand easier than Slick Sand, which I believe it does now that I have some experience with it.

The top section and it's flange was sanded flat up to 150 grit, keeping the edge of the paper slightly off the edge of the block to not sand into the corner and cut a sharp edge.

Guide coat applied, then the corner was sanded with a Durablock with a corner rounded to the correct diameter. Tape was used on the upper half of the block to keep the block from digging into the section that was already flat. Just the radius is shaped this way.

I blocked the tops of the raised stampings first, using a block wide enough to cover the areas where a section split off when applicable to keep the two sections on the same plane. The inner flat sections were next, same approach using custom cut blocks to leave the corners untouched, then the inside corners were shaped after the inner flat was fully flattened. Forgot to get pics of all that.

Brake brace details. I sanded the flats first, scribed a line of where I wanted the corner to start, masked on the line, then rounded the corner evenly top to bottom.

Some of the inside corners had large radii so I sanded a short durablock to the correct shape and used it to sand the corner.

The raised area around the heater box had four flat spots so those were blocked first, then guide coat applied and the outside corners blocked until they rounded into the flats evenly.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

Same process on all of the random shapes.

Top edge and corners of cowl masked on the flat then blocked out to establish a consistent starting point for the edge radius.

Lower seam lip blocked straight.

With the shaping finished I shot a couple coats of black SPI epoxy to seal up the areas that were low and needed filler, and to make the surface somewhat reflective so imperfections could be addressed. Some of the lower areas have 80g stratches showing and weird sanding patterns; those areas will be hidden under the inner fenders and shot with Raptor Liner later on so they were only quickly sanded for adhesion, not to correct their shape. The gloss level of the epoxy will really help with being able to spot fix the areas that need touching up, then shooting a few light coats of red epoxy so it's ready to wetsand and paint.

Back of the cab stripped and shot with epoxy. I left the drip rails and the cab corners bare since I'll be reworking those areas when fitting the doors.

My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Unbelievable commitment to detail!! I sure hope the owner of this truck understands what all you are doing. I definitely appreciate all of the metal working you are doing. I just thought I was going overboard blocking my frame! Thoroughly enjoying your posts and the progress on this one
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

My wife's nightmare wrote:Unbelievable commitment to detail!! I sure hope the owner of this truck understands what all you are doing. I definitely appreciate all of the metal working you are doing. I just thought I was going overboard blocking my frame! Thoroughly enjoying your posts and the progress on this one
Thanks!! The owner followed the last F100 build thread and contacted us about having his truck done by us after seeing the detail work we put into the first one we restored, and was willing to wait for an opening so he's definitely appreciative.
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

I did a quick/light blocking with 220 on the areas that were already pretty good, and 180/220 on a few spots that needed a little more flattening. 3-4 spots needed a small amount of filler, and it was ready for the last coats of epoxy to seal it and make it ready for wetsanding and paint.

I mixed in a bit of red epoxy on the first coat, then shot two more coats of black epoxy. When I wetsand it to prep for sealer/paint I don't want to sand through the epoxy layer, so I'll be able to stop sanding if I start seeing the red tinted layer.

Checking the reflection for imperfections while it was still wet. That's the look of a man who's happy to be finished sanding such a detailed panel. :lol:

The vid shows how flat each facet is.

The blocks used, plus the PVC tube with slots cut to make it flexible for the double concave area on the back of the cab above the rear window.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

With the firewall finished, I moved on to assembling the panels to start correcting panel fit and gaps. I mounted the cab back on the frame along with the front clip after blasting the header panel and doing a bit of initial straightening on the inner fenders. The fenders and radiator support are aftermarket and the fit so far is really good, I haven't had to do any cutting, bending, or slotting of holes to get them to bolt together.

The new hood hinges held me up from getting the hood mounted. The old hinges were super worn and sloppy so the hood would never stay in alignment if they were reused, and reproductions were available. Their fit left a lot to be desired... with the mounting flange flat against the firewall the lower mounting hole was off by half of the bolt diameter.

Tilting the hinge to show how far the flange needed to be bent to align the lower mounting hole.

When the two bolt holes on the main flange were lined up the inner mounting flange was also off; not just width-wise but the shape of the flange didn't match the angle of the firewall.

The curved lip on the back side of the inner flange interfered with the lip on the firewall so I reshaped it and ground it back to fit better, and so the edge had a shape that flowed better.

After about 40 trips between the firewall and vise to tweak the flanges into shape the hinge finally fit flat against the firewall and all four bolt holes were in pretty good alignment. Now when the bolts are tightened the flanges won't pull or twist the firewall out of shape, and won't chip the paint from the edges digging in.

Same process on the other side.

grump

Post by grump »

I hope the owner is going to drive this truck, it would be a shame to have a truck this nice and nobody gets to see it. Keep up the great work.
sfccolts

Post by sfccolts »

I'm late to this post so pardon me if I am rehashing someone else's comments. I absolutely LOVE the cut down steering wheel! I also am curious about what looks like the brake and clutch pedal being welded together?
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

grump wrote:I hope the owner is going to drive this truck, it would be a shame to have a truck this nice and nobody gets to see it. Keep up the great work.
Thanks Grump, I'm sure it'll see plenty of use and car shows once it's finished.

sfccolts wrote:I'm late to this post so pardon me if I am rehashing someone else's comments. I absolutely LOVE the cut down steering wheel! I also am curious about what looks like the brake and clutch pedal being welded together?
It was converted from manual to auto and the pedals had a bar welded across the two arms.
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

Long winded update hood hinge, I'll break it up into a few posts. The reproduction hinges ended up not working out once the hood was bolted on. Long list of problems with them-

1: The joints were too tight. I had to use a 24" adjustable wrench slipped over the flange that bolts to the hood to get the hinges to open and close, even with the spring off.

2: The individual arms are thinner and flexed easily which let the hood shift from side to side.

3: Each hinge angled outward front to rear by 5-7 degrees, so with the hood bolted on the already stiff joints were then in a bind from the joints on both sides not hinging parallel to each other. The thin and flexy arms somewhat minimized this problem :lol: This also made the flanges that bolt to the hood misaligned with the holes in the hood.

4: The passenger side hinge wouldn't fully drop as far as it should, so the back edge of the hood was kicked up above the cowl.

5: The joints were eating themselves. I cycled the hinges a few hundred times with the 24" wrench hoping they would "wear in" and loosen up, periodically adding oil to the joints to flush out the metal shavings that were building up. They eventually loosened up some but not enough.

6: The supplied springs were barely capable of holding the hood open, and not able to hold the hood all the way open. The hood has a section cut out at the very front for rust repair, no emblem, and the paint is stripped so it's lighter than a finished/painted hood. The friction in the joints were the main factor in the hood barely staying up. A full weight hood wouldn't have a chance at staying open.

7: The stops that set how far the hood opens were not shaped correctly.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

After searching the Ford truck forum for hood hinge info it seemed like the hinge rebuilding companies that others had used in the past were no longer willing to rebuild this style of F100 hinges, I think due to the hinge pin's rectangle shaped end that is used to rivet the pin in place. So, armed with the Atlas lathe and Bridgeport I set off to rebuild them myself.

I'm not a machinist, and certainly not very educated on how to properly use a lathe or milling machine... anything I've done with the lathe until now was just to rough out parts with no real need for precision. Preparing to make the lathe work correctly and then learning to use it somewhat correctly involved binge watching mrpete222, This Old Tony, and Blondihacks on youtube. The Atlas lathe was in desperate need of a tune up to make accurate parts; nothing was worn, whoever had it before us never really set it up correctly. None of the gibs were adjusted so there was play in everything. Eventually with considerable trial and error I figured out how to make a hinge pin.

I bought a Columbian 506 M2 vise awhile back but hadn't mounted it yet, so I went ahead and did that to hold the main hinge frame during the rebuild process.

I also recently found and bought an old Delta carbide grinder so I could shape and sharpen my own hss lathe bits and tune up the brazed carbide tools that came with the lathe. This would come in handy on the longer pin that the spring is hung from.

Once back to the shop I started cleaning it to see if I could get it back down the the original paint. I'll get around to cleaning up the rest of it eventually.

I checked the hinges on the parts truck and they were tighter than the original pair so I started with those.

The arms fit flat against each other, which creates wear and friction. I addressed this during the rebuild.

I carefully ground down the riveted end of the pins, and used the mill in the tighter areas where the grinder wouldn't fit.

Pressing out the pins.

Tons of wear and gouging. The metal was deeply pitted, likely from the metal galling.

The link between the two main arms was thick enough to rub both arms, removing the coating and causing friction.

The measurements show how worn the parts were.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

The arms were out of alignment, none of the pivot points were parallel from one end to the other. Some had high and low spots along the friction surfaces.

After straightening.

All of the areas that were worn were welded up and ground/filed smooth. The holes were all reamed to make the exactly round again.

Flatness was checked against a block of steel with a machined face.

The pins were machined from 1" steel bar. I sized them for about .002" clearance for minimal play and room for grease. I also added .030" length to the shoulder so I could add a washer cut from UHMW. This will slightly cushion the joint, space the arms apart so they don't rub the paint off each other, and will reduce friction and wear in the joint.

.030" UHMW sheet from McMaster Carr.

Drilling/tapping for 5/16-24 hardware to hold the joints together. The original pressed rivets are not a precise way to hold the joints together so I didn't want to copy that aspect of the hinge pins.

Milling the square ends that set the depth of the pin. This determines how tightly the joint is assembled so it was critical to measure the arms, UHMW washer, and on the main frame the offset of the raised friction surface. Too deep and the joint froze up, and the joint was too loose and wobbled if the depth wasn't cut deep enough. I ended up cutting the step slightly too low on purpose so I could remove material from the arms to incrementally loosen up the joint until it there was no play but no binding.

Compound set to 12.5" to cut a bevel in the head of the pins.

One of the pins on each arm were longer with a groove to mount the spring. I used the Delta carbide grinder with the table set to 7* to reshape an old/broken 60* threading bit to match the shape of the original groove.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

The finished pins, along with billet countersunk washers from All American Billet.

This is where a lot of time was spent getting the joints dialed in. The pins were machined a few thousandths too short which made each joint too tight when the hardware was fully tightened. I assembled each joint but only lightly tightened the screws; this made the joints snug enough leave a visible contact pattern of where the head of the pin was rubbing the arm. Then I used the 2" grinder with a 100 grit disc to lightly sand down only the areas that were contacting. I did this repeatedly until the joints were just snug enough to not have any play, but loose enough to not bind.

I also monitored the inside of the joints to make sure there weren't excessive high spots or weird wear patterns.

Assembled joint with UHMW washer between the arms. The washer is barely noticable.

I didn't use UHMW between the larger friction surfaces of the main frame joints. These already had a wide friction surface from filing the area flat. I made these first and hadn't quite got the hang of setting the pin's shoulder depth yet, so they ended up loose at first. I used feeler gauges to check the clearance between the arms so to determine how much shorter to mill the shoulders.

The connecting link between the two main arms was thick enough to rub both of the arms, and the holes were worn oversize. The holes being worn allow one arm to move before the other when closing the hood, which makes the hinges "pop" when the link finally does start pushing the second arm into motion.

The link was a stamped part so one side isn't flat. I fixed that by milling it flat, and fixed the rubbing by milling it thin enough to fit UHMW washers on each side.

Checking clearance after the initial cut to know how much extra to shave for washer clearance.

Machining bronze bushings to fit in the holes.

Reassembled with washers after reaming the holes to precisely fit the pins.

The last issue to address; adding the UHMW washers made each joint wider, which pushed each arm outward .030". The last arm to go on no longer lined up with the hood mount bracket, so I had to bend the arm slightly into a Z shape to compensate.

With that finished I had functioning hinges with no play and no binding. I hadn't done anything cosmetically yet so I disassembled them and used the 2" grinder to even out and smooth all of the stamping marks, then ran over all of the surfaces with a 3" DA and 60 grit to remove the grinding marks. After that I thoroughly scrubbed each part with Dawn, then Ospho to remove the fingerprint rust from handling bare steel parts. I lightly oiled them to prevent excessive rust during mock up until final disassembly and pain.

My wife's nightmare
United States of America

WOW! That's really going above and beyond. I haven't bought any repop hinges but have heard/seen stories of them being bad. (trying to use nice language :) ) I've tried to pick up as many original sets as I can find for future use and or repairs. Thank you for all of the details during your rebuilding project. I hadn't considered using bushings in the link arm but that is going to make a huge improvement in the hinge function. Too bad you are busy doing bodywork, you could have a good side business rebuilding hinges!!
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

My wife's nightmare wrote:WOW! That's really going above and beyond. I haven't bought any repop hinges but have heard/seen stories of them being bad. (trying to use nice language :) ) I've tried to pick up as many original sets as I can find for future use and or repairs. Thank you for all of the details during your rebuilding project. I hadn't considered using bushings in the link arm but that is going to make a huge improvement in the hinge function. Too bad you are busy doing bodywork, you could have a good side business rebuilding hinges!!
Thanks, I'll offer rebuild service once I'm done with my current shop projects. I've been planning on scaling back from full jobs like this F100 to smaller jobs once this one is gone, and adding hinge rebuilding to the list of services offered will help keep me busy.
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

that looks better than what ford made and im sure functions better.i hate to think of the man hours involved in the hinges but looks like its worth it.
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Man, that's kinda good news/bad news! I really enjoy watching your body working skills but glad to hear hinge rebuilding will be offered in the future, especially since I'm not too far away from you!!
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

ratrapp wrote:that looks better than what ford made and im sure functions better.i hate to think of the man hours involved in the hinges but looks like its worth it.
I have around 25 hours in rebuilding a pair, not including painting them. The hood opens smoothly now and can easily be lifted with one finger. It also closes in the same place every time and doesn't move side to side at all- very important to get the body panels in perfect alignment and keep it there.

My wife's nightmare wrote:Man, that's kinda good news/bad news! I really enjoy watching your body working skills but glad to hear hinge rebuilding will be offered in the future, especially since I'm not too far away from you!!
I've been wanting to get away from working around bodywork materials and their health hazards, and focus more on sheetmetal work. I'll keep posting, I have a lot of people on the various forums I post to that like to follow my work so I'll start a general catch-all "what I'm up to" thread later on.