Bolting Up A 65/66 2WD Slick Cab To A 73-79 2WD Chassis

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

chris401
United States of America

Bolting Up A 65/66 2WD Slick Cab To A 73-79 2WD Chassis

Post by chris401 »

I read here that other than the bed the cab and front clip are a bolt on. If I was to find a 73-79 short step side F-100 or F-150 would it be a good match to how a 65 short step side would have looked?
Thanks
Chris
chris401
United States of America

Re: Bolting Up A 65/66 2WD Slick Cab To A 73-79 2WD Chassis

Post by chris401 »

chris401 wrote:I read here that other than the bed the cab and front clip are a bolt on. If I was to find a 73-79 short step side F-100 or F-150 would it be a good match to how a 65 short step side would have looked?
Thanks
Interested mainly in how the 65 and 70's sheet metal structure match. Would I loose the the 65/66 narrow rear - wide front axle? The newer trucks proportioned better?
Chris
Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

The dentside era trucks had a longer wheelbase for the longbox but I cannot recall on the shortbox. 73-79 cabs were 4" longer to make it bigger but yes it bolted in the same place. The frame is the same width from under the cab forward but is wider from the rear of the cab to the back. The box should be the same 53-77 1/2 and then in 77 1/2 to 79 the sides and bulkhead appear to be the same as the longbox Flareside just made shorter. This means the late dentside box is likely 5" wider than than the earlier shortbox. The box tops also laid flat instead of on a 45 degree angle from 77 1/2 - 79. One last thought for you is the V.I.N. is on your frame. Make sure of your local DMV laws before you lose your title/registration.
Ford... the other four letter "F" word

Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

Six cylinders make farting sounds
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

The rear axle is wider on a dentside truck. The wheelbase is also longer. Would not be a bad swap, find a truck with disc brakes and power steering if you do it.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Gravemetal touched on all Especially this one,, One last thought for you is the V.I.N. is on your frame. Make sure of your local DMV laws before you lose your title/registration. This past weekend @ F-100 Reunion with so many came up to us trying to figure out on get titles, etc due to some have changed frames etc ++ also remember this if your going to sell it down the road title issues can be a factor,, if for some reason something happens down the road and have to move it fast will be a problem,, I know it could be a 50,000 truck but if nothing matches then its JUNK to us, we refuse a lot of trucks due to various issues.. I see problems with Vins on E-Bay, Private auctions, Estate Auctions, Insurance Etc.. all the time and seen some vehicles taken away from the owner after paying $$$$$$ due to title/Vin# issues

Any of the 73/79 F-100's/150's ALL Had Disc Brakes, some with power brakes, some with out,,
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

A local man said had a 75 Camaro replica because the Camaro body was sitting on a 4X4 chassis. The VIN change would be a deal breaker if I had to adopt the frame donor VIN. I am 3rd generation owner sinse 1966, no point in messing with it now. I am hard headed enough patch the cracks or splice them out.
Thanks
Chris
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Did some on line reading and a phone call to the Texas DMV. So far there is no legal way around having to adopt the frame vin to the cab. To be continued.......
Chris
grump

Post by grump »

I thought it had been discussed on here that not all frames got stamped with the vin. I know my 66 does not have the vin on the frame and I have looked high and low and even sanded the frame to see if I could find it. I just wonder if the situation would be the same with dents.
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

chris401 wrote:Did some on line reading and a phone call to the Texas DMV. So far there is no legal way around having to adopt the frame vin to the cab. To be continued.......
I don't even know if there is a VIN on a dentside frame, but if there is, and it was my truck. Weld over the VIN, grind it down, buy a stamp set, and stamp in your slick VIN in the correct location.
Bill
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

yes their is Vin # on 73-79 trucks as well and grump is right since might have been us on this where have seen no Vin #,, as far as stamping another # ,Our DMV Officers are smart,, they know that all #'s are not stamped straight, spaces ++ a design similar like this * front and back of the # ++ also a fresh stamped Vin # is a red flag as well ++ Original rivots on the data plate and where location is
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

My 65 and the spare 66 chassis I picked up have the vin# stamped on the top right of the frame inline with the alternator. Don't know if it is on my daily driver 65 F-250. I might pickup another rough long wheel base 65 F-100. We will see how it goes.
Chris
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:yes their is Vin # on 73-79 trucks as well and grump is right since might have been us on this where have seen no Vin #,, as far as stamping another # ,Our DMV Officers are smart,, they know that all #'s are not stamped straight, spaces ++ a design similar like this * front and back of the # ++ also a fresh stamped Vin # is a red flag as well ++ Original rivots on the data plate and where location is
It's hard to imagine that if I stamped a VIN on the frame, then sandblasted the frame, primered it, then painted it, that anyone could tell how long it had been on there. Luckily in my state it doesn't seem to be an issue, I've swapped chassis in the past on multiple vehicles and never had an issue. At least now, not sure about back in the 60's, you can go buy a new frame from Ford to repair wrecked truck. If you could back in the 60's what did they do about a replaced frame that came with no number.
Bill
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

we deal with many states and so many people say all things but you all need to remember that trucks always do not stay in the home state and as time goes on every state will be on the same page and like I said before I know it could be a 50,000 truck but if nothing matches then its JUNK to us, we refuse a lot of trucks due to various issues.. we have gone to Pate Swap Meet several times over the years and refused many trucks that where decent rust free trucks due to title issues,, also need to think about this, your driving down the road just bought a nice truck BUT vin "s and title issues are checked in a random inspection and find out that's it was altered due to stolen, DMV Officer calls the wrecker and everything is impounded and your out a lot,, Oh yes we have been checked several times on the road with parts and trucks so it can happen at any given time,, now a major ? you live in another state and move to a state that is on the top laws and you have 3 vehicles with altered things, as your talking to DMV and he comes out and say your screwed since we cannot issue a title to you.. OH yes it does happen
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

As Tom stated; and it is getting tougher all the time!
Luckily in Texas there is a mechanism in place but it's involved and you are likely to end up with a rebuilt title.
Now back to the basics; despite what is posted on a normally reputable website; there are several misconceptions.The wheelbase IS longer on the dents.
In the case of the LB slicks it is four inches longer. That dimension changed with the bumps; with the two inch longer wheelbase; then again for the dents.
;'65/'66 coil sprung slick cabs are a direct bolt-on. The change is between the rear mounts and back of cab. So bed lengths stayed basically the same; the extended wheelbase was for the longer cabs.
The F250 4x4 and F350 dents retained the 34" frame width: while the other light trucks had a frame which was widened behind the cab. A 4" wider rear end was used on the dents and will fit under the slick Stylesides by moving the spring pads.
The F250 4x4 and the F350 also had the rear cab mounts outside the frame. Two holes in the crossmember will allow the slick cab to bolt on.
IMO; that is much superior to re-drilling the cab. The lower cab rail does have the boss for the external mounts since that rail is shared by both applications. However it is NOT reinforced on the slick cab.
I agree with Tom; people doing frame changes are likely to decrease the value of these vehicles as things become uniform state to state. It's already creating massive headaches when buying out of state.The other issue which Tom may have yet to experience is the "hidden" identification on all cabs allowing law enforcement to match the rearward frame VIN with a particular cab.
In most cases it would not likely get that far but it does happen in certain circumstances!
So since everything except the rear end is a direct bolt-on for a slick: why not just swap suspension and braking components and leave the truck with an easily identified legal frame?
Paul
Still plodding along with the "orphanage" and an expanded ICU!
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

Toyz wrote:The F250 4x4 and F350 dents retained the 34" frame width: while the other light trucks had a frame which was widened behind the cab. A 4" wider rear end was used on the dents and will fit under the slick Stylesides by moving the spring pads.
The F250 4x4 and the F350 also had the rear cab mounts outside the frame. Two holes in the crossmember will allow the slick cab to bolt on.
F250 4x4 had a 34" frame only through '77 1/2. After that it had the wider frame, no more gas tank in the cab, etc. F350 is a different animal because you have both pickups and dual wheel cab and chassis. Cab and chassis were always 34" but at least the '79 F350 4x4 pickup had the wide frame.
Bill
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Should have specified "highboy" and F350 c/c1
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

04sd wrote:
chris401 wrote:Did some on line reading and a phone call to the Texas DMV. So far there is no legal way around having to adopt the frame vin to the cab. To be continued.......
You may want to dig a little deeper in the TDMV Motor Vehicle Title manual. They have "cleaned up" the process. Ford vehicles '32 to '56 STILL are titled by frame VIN; later passenger vehicles and light trucks by body VIN. That means the title should follow the cab. This works well for chassis conversions; not sure how it affects chassis I have sold in the past with title per old regulations!

I don't even know if there is a VIN on a dentside frame, but if there is, and it was my truck. Weld over the VIN, grind it down, buy a stamp set, and stamp in your slick VIN in the correct location.
Any change to that VIN for whatever reason is a federal offense. NICB and auto theft investigators know exactly where to look for frame and cab numbers both "public" and "hidden"! In the case of a major insurance claim on an older vehicle they will inspect said vehicle. If the VIN does not match the policy it can be "claim denied".As to not having a stamped VIN they are in two locations on the frame which covers many states but not Texas. '96 and up vehicles insurance adjusters will pull the computer; if VIN doesn't match policy; then they start digging or cutting.
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Toyz wrote:
04sd wrote:
You may want to dig a little deeper in the TDMV Motor Vehicle Title manual. They have "cleaned up" the process. Ford vehicles '32 to '56 STILL are titled by frame VIN; later passenger vehicles and light trucks by body VIN. That means the title should follow the cab. This works well for chassis conversions; not sure how it affects chassis I have sold in the past with title per old regulations!

Any change to that VIN for whatever reason is a federal offense. NICB and auto theft investigators know exactly where to look for frame and cab numbers both "public" and "hidden"! In the case of a major insurance claim on an older vehicle they will inspect said vehicle. If the VIN does not match the policy it can be "claim denied".As to not having a stamped VIN they are in two locations on the frame which covers many states but not Texas. '96 and up vehicles insurance adjusters will pull the computer; if VIN doesn't match policy; then they start digging or cutting.
That is one reason for keeping it legal. You never know what could happen and how far things can go at the drop of the hat.

Concerning frame width and cab mounting the 68 F100 cab/67 F350 frame I am scrapping out verifies what has been mentioned.
Chris