I'm hoping to SOON make some changes on my 64 s/b

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

oldsmiley
United States of America

I'm hoping to SOON make some changes on my 64 s/b

Post by oldsmiley »

The reason I said "hoping to" is because it all depends on how much free time I can create, and if I can keep enough funds coming in to finish everything....

I've been eyeballing this hanging on the wall in my shop for months, and how and where I could incorporate it into my project and think I've got a good spot for it. More Pics later as I begin the challenge.....

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: I'm hoping to SOON make some changes on my 64 s/b

Post by SteveCanup »

Subscribed and watching.....(no pressure, lol)
1964 F-100
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Well I just dug out these Image that I've been saving for something special. My favorite, LOW maintenance, American's..... Yep they'll work fine.
l
Let me go hunt for some more treasures.....
FlintMich
United States of America

Post by FlintMich »

I'm intrigued.

Following as well.
TJ

If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right! ~ Shayf
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

I love the grille, and turn lamps in the bumper.

Is the grille stock or modified that used to have turn lamps in the grille?
1964 Mercury short box 460 innies
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Ha, ha.....
Most people look at my truck and never notice the grill. I just never liked to have something like everybody else had. It seems that mild changes like that keep people coming back and trying to find out where the difference is and the all of a sudden they say "now I see it".

I had an extra grill from a parts truck that was bent on the end, but too good to trash. So, knowing I was going to drive it daily, and keep a painted grill anyway, I cut out the parking lights on mine and substituted those areas with bars from the bent grill. I do plan to do the lights in the bumper over again. The face of the bumper has a slight slant to it, so the lights tend to shine down just enough that they are hard to see during the day, but show up well at night. I also shaved the heads off the bumper bolts years ago too, for a smooth look and it makes it for a quick and simple wash job. It stood out pretty good in it's day, but needs refreshing one more time....but NOT to perfection.

This was my daily driver for 29 years, rain, sleet, or snow. I never got great mileage and when gas shot up a few years back I parked it. I never intend on selling it and didn't want to see it rot away, so now I'm putting it back on the road, and will probably drive it daily until my days are up. This time my goal is mainly fuel mileage, and just a neat 40 footer.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

:(

I know I said "SOON", but I had to work on getting it back road worthy after sitting for several years.
First "just to get it running" I started with removing the gas tank emptying it, shining a light through the sending unit hole and with my camera in the filler tube hole, if you can tell what you're looking at, the tank was as clean as NEW. YAY!

Then I reinstalled the tank and put everything new from the tank to the carb. It would crank 1st time and run like a kitten, but as soon as you touch the gas it would shut off....hummm. Then I decided to rebuild the 600 Holley. I expected some trash inside when I opened it up but not this....

Methanol gas...JUNK!

Rebuilt it, runs like a champ. Then... I totaled my Jeep Wrangler on Oct 30th, then I had to start using the 64 as a daily driver sooner than expected.
Time is still one thing I don't have a lot of but I'm here and there doing what I can, when I can.

Next in the close quarters of my shop, I managed to install a newly rebuilt automatic transmission (my old one worked but leaked like nobody's business).

Got that fixed, then had to do some Christmas card shots of my Great Niece :wink: She's a DOLL.

Then one cold Winter day when business was slow, I bought one of these.

and one of these knobs....

Since the threaded shaft on the new lighter was too small for the 61-66 style knob, I removed the brass insert from the 67-72 lighter knob, and the one from the new 61-66 knob. Had to drill out the end of the 61-66 knob a bit, then in the vice I pressed the 67-72 insert into the new 61-66 knob. I also had to insert 2 small washers for spacers onto the shaft before I screwed my 61-66 knob onto the shaft, and it LOOKS and WORKS like a pro. I don't smoke but I had to fill that hole on the dash and now I can recharge my cell phone as well....

Then yesterday was a good warm day for outside. Twenty four years ago I shaved everything off my 64, mirrors, handles, emblems, and all. I ran the truck with 3" peep mirrors hanging from the top edge of me door. That was then, this is now. I can't see out of them very well, so I drilled 2 small holes in my door and put 2 of the 67-72 truck mirrors on each side. That lasted 1 day and I didn't like the looks of them. I have a perfect extra cab (in case I ever wreck my truck) so I measured where the original mirror holes were and applied that to the doors on my truck, so I could cut out the original holes that I filled years ago, installed 2 original style mirrors and I'm much happier with the look, and usage of these...

I know that's not much but now that warmer weather is here I'm hoping to get more done. Until next time, stay safe from this Corona Virus. It's a serious thing.....
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

My stock mirror holes are shaved/filled in as well. Plan to do the same as you and cut the holes back out and go back factory style. Do you remember what size bolts you used to bolt the mirror brackets to the inside of the doors?
'63 F100 Wrongbed
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Yes Sir Zax63.
It was a 5/16 standard thread, 3/4" long. Mine came with flat washers but I threw them away and used lock washers (just to be safe)
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

This being a daily driver, is already being used for some hauling, pulling my trailer, and a little tailgating at local eat-outs until this CORONA-virus resides.....

The next step is changing out the rear end to try and get better gas mileage......
grump

Post by grump »

My wife and I had many picnics on the tailgate of my '66 flareside before I tore it apart. Lookin' forward to doing that again if I ever get the old girl done again. I'm gettin' there.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I know where you're coming from. It might take a while, but a dedicated 20 minutes each day will get her done.

Can't wait to see her...... :D
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

That photo reminds me of Shenandoah's song, "Next to you, next to me". That is a great way to enjoy a meal together! We've been doing quite a bit of parking lot picnics, not in the 65 cause I'm still working, but my wife will meet me for lunch somewhere if I'm close to town. And I really like your grille modification too, have been planning to do the same to my 63 and seeing yours seals the deal! Now to find a donor grille, and something else to do with my 20 minutes a day :D
On another topic and I don't intend to hijack your topic, but we need to have a Slickstock-East, I'm noticing a lot of posts from truckers on this side of the Mississippi.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Well, in 36 years....it's her 1st time ever on a trailer :(

Many moons ago (22 years) I wanted to run both tailpipes out the drivers side of my roll pan rather than the traditional Right & Left kinda deal. To do that we had to do away with the rear leaf springs so we could get both pipes on the outside of the frame (from the rear end back). I made 2 trailing arms from 2" square tubing 2" thick, then added a pan-hard bar to keep things straight, with chrome coil over shocks.
Well Wednesday night the truck started cross tracking and I stopped, looked underneath and discovered one of the trailing arms had broke. I baby-ed my truck on 3 miles of side streets to get it to my old shop. I left it there, got a ride home, got my other truck & trailer to bring it home on.

Guess I'll have to MAKE time to install my other rear end & 4 link suspension now. I was waiting for slightly cooler weather, but I guess I can make it through the upper 90's and get it done. Should have put A/C in my shop years ago...but I was tough then and nothing bothered me. Guess what? THINGS CHANGE!

Will be making more posts SOON.....

SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

That truck looks good even sitting on a trailer! Be sure to post pics of your rear-end work. I am wanting to do the same with mine for better gas mileage. I like to drive mine to much and the gas mileage just kills me.
Also...on another note....we DO need to have an East Coast Slickstock sometime. There are a lot of us guys from NC, VA, Ohio, etc on here following each others builds and encouraging each other. It would be great to get together on a Friday and Saturday (I can't do Sundays...) and meeting up somewhere. Just a thought.
Good luck on your rear-end repairs....post pics! Oh...and the mirrors look great! I like the stock ones best.
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Hopefully you've found some time to spend on your truck. I sometimes wish there was AC in my shop too but I'm thankful for the heater that's in there for the winter. It's usually later in the day during the summer before I get in the shop so I'm still "young" but mostly dumb!! I have lots of memories of seeing your truck over the years but can't remember ever looking under her skirt, interested in the rear setup and watching for repair/rebuild photos.
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Just wanted to bump this topic and see if you've had any time to enjoy the cool weather!!
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I had a Tarp on my truck because the windshield had been leaking. I finally got a few minutes of free time (kind of unheard of around here) so I pulled the tarp off to start taking the bolts out of my bed to get it out of the way. All of a sudden something landed on my hand and nearly scared the POOP out of me. It was just a harmless tree frog....

It didn't take long to remove all that was holding the bed on, BUT....my gas tank is built into the front of the bed and was nearly FULL of gas when my rear end broke, so I had to drain all of that. The bed was removed and now I'm wondering if I'll be blessed enough to get some of the work done before I get SUPER busy again.... I want to drive my truck :cry:

Maybe more pictures by Monday.....MAYBE!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Progress! Great to see.....! (lol)
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Your tree frog surprise made me laugh cause it brought back lots of memories of times things like that have happened to me or a buddy when we've been laying under a dash or an old car!! I'm sure it will happen to me again and it does scare the poop out of you, but hopefully nobody is a witness. Your post also reminded me of the gas tank relocation kit you used to sell. Are you still doing any of them?
And it is good to see you're getting some time to spend on your truck!! Looking forward to pictures of the repairs