Time for ... uh ... timing

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bigtrip460

Post by bigtrip460 »

I personally have timing issues, I cant advance or retard from where it is right now or it wont run, period.
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

I had to advance the timing on my 223 when I first got it on the road, I think because of the crappy gas these days.

Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Doc,
If you have one, put a Vacuum Gauge on it and advance the dist to get the highest reading and lock it down.
Fred
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

Doc, I understand you are running a vacuum advance on your distributor. I know from my experience, I got to play alot with timing back in the day in school. Most important rule of thumb in my mind is to run your vacuum advance on your venturi vacuum port on the carb. By using manifold vacuum, you lose your vacuum advance as the engine revs or loads. I would set my base timing with the engine warm, idle at a comfortable speed, and remove the vacuum hose from the carb. Once you found your 10 to 14 deg, wherever you feel comfortable, install the hose back on (ported vacuum) and your timing increase should minimally change. As you rev (or load) up, vacuum advance will increase due to greater demand from the engine for air, hence venturi vacuum increases. Your mechanical will start to kick in as your distributor velocity increases. I found on my old (I know way to big for a slick, 460 LOL), that I was able to achieve about 47 degrees total timing without any issues. That was from a modified stock distributor. I haven't set up my new MSD yet, but it shouldn't be much different.

Here is my first kick at some tech support in a while, hope it helps 8)
Mark