need some advice

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RED

need some advice

Post by RED »

All right so the Mercury front clip that was grafted on the front of my 61 is twisted and pretty much shot. Now I have the problem of what to do next. New frames with airbags and everything I want are expensive and I really haven't check out any other avenues as far as subframes go. I did have someone tell me about a '77-'81 camaro preferably trans-am(a little more heavy duty) that he said they unbolted and put on pickup. I am just starting the project and have so many decisions to make. I will soon post a few pics so you guys can give me a critique. I also have the age old question of carb or EFI. It already has the EFI, but is it worth the money really. The more i get ripped apart the more you will hear from me. BTW I have got some hood emblems that I have from an F-600. Anyone interested let me know.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Re: need some advice

Post by Johnny Canuck »

RED wrote:All right so the Mercury front clip that was grafted on the front of my 61 is twisted and pretty much shot. Now I have the problem of what to do next. New frames with airbags and everything I want are expensive and I really haven't check out any other avenues as far as subframes go. I did have someone tell me about a '77-'81 camaro preferably trans-am(a little more heavy duty) that he said they unbolted and put on pickup. I am just starting the project and have so many decisions to make. I will soon post a few pics so you guys can give me a critique. I also have the age old question of carb or EFI. It already has the EFI, but is it worth the money really. The more i get ripped apart the more you will hear from me. BTW I have got some hood emblems that I have from an F-600. Anyone interested let me know.

Welcome red! :welcome:
first of all I am gonna assume the Mercury clip is not from a Mercury slick and you are referring to a Mercury car of some sort. The camaro/firebird clip is basically taking the front 3 feet or so of the frame rails and grafting them on to the slick frame. This is not for the weak of heart, involves some pretty dependable welding, and is designed for a car with entirely different dynamics from our trucks. Basically It's a disaster waiting to happen.I am not sure how much of the original truck frame you have still got, but there are better solutions, this one is like duct taping the plastic bust of George Washington on the front of a Boeing 747, to use for a hood ornament.
You can do it, but why? :cry:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Shiny

Post by Shiny »

The Camaro clips work awesome on trucks.But don't expect to tow or haul everything you can in the truck like a truck.
They handle awesome.Put some lowered coils in and its amazing how they handle.I've done dozens of em and wouldn't hesitate to do it again on a two door truck.
There is other options but the camaro is prolly the cheapest to do and the cheapest to rebuild and gets parts for.

If your one of the 'gotta keep it blue oval' look for a Torino clip and graft it on.

-Shiny
every movie I've seen the bad guy in the Camaro outruns the cop in the Crown Vic everytime!

'66 Merc "Crewlcab", SWB, clipped, c-notched etc
'65 Merc extra-cab,soon to be 3/4ton 4x4 SWBSOLD
'66 Merc J-Lo and Redford movie truck, from the movie "an unfinished life"
'66 Merc Crew Cab project 4x4 Cummins!
'65 Chevy crew cab
RED

hey shiny

Post by RED »

Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*WARNING* For those about to click that link it contains swearing
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

:laughing:
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

if it has no sway bars, then it's not worth what he thinks especially the trans-am and Z-Cars have the bigger sway bars that makes the difference,,, thats :lol: Johnny and :iagree: on the subject
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

AACH! My eyes... those 5 letters burned themselves into my eyes... I'm forever scarred!
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
RED

little help

Post by RED »

johny, a little help on some of the better solutions? Thanks
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

OK get ready for some reading dude.
this says for 48-60's, but the frames are the same width up to 79 in front so it applies to our trucks too.
11 parts, including the Camaro, have at 'er
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/10/0/
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

And with a GM sub frame what would you do for wheels. You sure don't want one of those wimpy GM rear ends out back just to make bolt patterns match. Use a Ford sub frame and you can still find a 9" with matching bolt pattern.
Jim
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

If you want more of a truck suspention talk to Elpolako. He make a kit for our trucks that mounts a Dodge Dakota suspention on our frames. It is a much better if as far as the numbers go (GVW, Front Axle weight). This is what I am using on my 63. A number of others are doing the same.

Good luck, and good to have you!
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
cookster4495

Post by cookster4495 »

I wonder how a 72 on up ranchero frame would measure up for a swap?
anyone know of one to measure up ???
1961 f250 4x4
1964 f250 crew cab
GDG

Post by GDG »

Red, I don't think you can beat the 03 and up CV frt suspension, for ease of installation and over all fit without a lot of fabrication. Those cars are coming into the junkyards all the time now. The CV unit takes away a lot of guess work and provides you with good components.
Doug
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

GDG is dead right. Crown Vic would be my first choice if I were to do one today. Ain't my truck tho. :wink:
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Welcome to world's greatest truck site RED! You didn't include where you are from or any info about your truck. Might be someone in your neck of the woods among our members.
I have a Camaro subframe under my 56 F100 panel truck. It was a vast improvement over the stock straight axle, manual steering, and drum brakes. I will never put another under a truck again. Too complicated and you have to cut your truck frame in half. My choices (in order) would be JAG, Aerostar, or Chrysler Volare' type. I strongly suggest you read the 11 articles posted above just to familiarize yourself with what options are available and the pros and cons of each.
I have an extra 64 frame that I think I am going to modufy this winter to keep myself occupied. So far, I think the JAG IFS will find it's way under it. The downside is that I will probably put a Camaro rearend under it just so the wheels will match, front to rear. No since wasting a 9" on something I'm not going to keep.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
GLindley

Post by GLindley »

Truckfarmer, I read where you said you had been laid off. I hope things are okay....
Gene
1961 Intregal cab SWB 223 (getting 302 & TIB)
1969 LWB 302 automatic (Donor for the '61)
2000 F150 XLT SWB (Daily Driver)
RED

some pics

Post by RED »

Here are some pics.
RED

changed my mind

Post by RED »

Ok scrappin the trans am clip idea. I am going to get all the sheet metal off the front and the engine out and see how bad it really is. I never had any problems with the steering (no bump steer and it always aligned great) so i will take it to a few frame guys and see what they say. Thanks for all your input. I can tell I am going to learn a lot right here in front of this little screen.
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

The dash and seat remind me of a mid-80's LTD. They were a midsized car then. Please make sure you post the photos of the frame so we can see where you are in this project. Looks like you found yourself a nice Unibody.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!