INTAKE MANITOLD STUCK

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

fire704

INTAKE MANITOLD STUCK

Post by fire704 »

HOW DO I GET IT OFF? ALL OF THE BOLTS AND NUTS ARE REMOVED, BUT IT IS STUCK. 64 F250 292. I HANE TAPPED LIGHTLY WITH A HAMMER. THANKS
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: INTAKE MANITOLD STUCK

Post by unibody madness »

I had to lightly pry it up on mine to pop the seal. look for slots where a flat bladed screwdriver will slip in on both corners and it should pop. It's usually RTV around the water jackets that cause the problem, but who knows what a po might have used.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
wwhite

Re: INTAKE MANITOLD STUCK

Post by wwhite »

You could make a tool, I have done similar but with a 4cyl aluminum alfa motor, separating head from block.

The tool would become a 'custom intake puller'.

What you can do, is create a tool where 'feet' or the lower part of the tool can rest on the heads, not touching the intake.
Then, from the top of the tool, have holes where long bolts can go through the tool and into the intake, either using the studs from carb, or bolts into threaded holes on the intake. Making sure the feet of the tool are long enough, that the tool has a gab between top of intake and tool.

Then, tighten the bolts or nuts down, which tightens tool pressing onto heads, which will actually lift the intake.

I've made one out of wood. Wood will break before metal if it is really 'welded' on.

I can draw up a diagram if that helps.
1964 Mercury short box 460 innies