Removing Volare suspension

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

4wheelerbill

Removing Volare suspension

Post by 4wheelerbill »

So I put a Volare suspension in my 62 about 15 years ago then pushed it into corner of shop and left it. Well I recently decided it was time to do something with it after all this time. Thinking about pulling Chrysler suspension out and doing a crown Vic. Has anyone ever done this on here ? Just curious about the frame repair I’ll have to do and what recommendations are out there? Thinking laying some rectangular tubing into frame to fill it in.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Removing Volare suspension

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Pictures might be worth a thousand words. I can only guess what your frame might look like now.
At the same time tubing inside the frame (boxing) is never a bad thing.
My frame is boxed for strength, even though it is all stock suspension.

If you have read up on the CV set up there are choices to be made on height of installation. Depending on your desires and future plans. Repairs and reinforcement should be done with furthering your vision of the build in mind. :2cents:
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
Sportinlife
United States of America

Post by Sportinlife »

There's nothing wrong with the volare front end. It's the right width, has a workable bolt pattern, the steering is just fine, the height is adjustable, and it's already in there. Why would you want to change to a setup that is too wide?
I guess I'm saying give it some thought before you go for the latest thing.
1964 F100 Flareside, "The agricultural sport coupe"
Chris W

Post by Chris W »

4wheelerbill wrote:So I put a Volare suspension in my 62 about 15 years ago then pushed it into corner of shop and left it. Well I recently decided it was time to do something with it after all this time. Thinking about pulling Chrysler suspension out and doing a crown Vic. Has anyone ever done this on here ? Just curious about the frame repair I’ll have to do and what recommendations are out there? Thinking laying some rectangular tubing into frame to fill it in.
how did you install the Volare front end I cut my frame on my unibody and didn't like it after I got in in, so I found a 95 crown vic and used the whole frame with the 4.6.
4wheelerbill

Post by 4wheelerbill »

Still up in the air about it. I do like the way it sets now and the width. I would also like to stay with 15” wheels as I’m kinda old school and think classics just look better with them.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Here's another option, JAG IFS. Comes out of a vehicle that weighs as much as your truck, has forged control arms, and decent size brakes. The only downside (IMO) is the 4.75" Bolt Circle *ie: Chevy bolt pattern on the hubs....

Complete install documented in Matt's write-up in the link below

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21313
Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

Thread hijack... Mr. Sportinlife that is a fine auto mobile you have there and I love your agriculture caption
Ford... the other four letter "F" word

Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

Six cylinders make farting sounds