wiper motor problems

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

tomsrod
United States of America

wiper motor problems

Post by tomsrod »

I've owned my truck for 19 years. In that time, I've never had dependable working wipers. When I first got it, the wipers wouldn't stop so I just unplugged the switch and plugged it back in when it rained. I pulled the wiper motor and mounting bracket found they were from a 50s era ford truck so I put in a used motor from a salvage truck and a nice bracket from a 1966 F100 (thanks member Jeff - pikupmn for the correct mounting bracket). The used motor didn't work at all so I bought a Cardone motor from Autozone that growled terribly and wouldn't park right either. I took it back to Autozone and got another, same issues so it went back too.

So now I have a two-speed motor from Dennis Carpenter that runs quietly, but I can't seem to get it to park properly. It does have an adjustable park setting that I can't seem to set right. I put the wiper arms on and run it, but it stops too high. I remove the arms and set them lower and the cycle runs the wipers into the cowl. The lowest position on the down stroke is 3-4 inches lower than the park position. As we all probably know the wiper arms are difficult to take off.

I'm looking for help in knowing how to set the park position correctly and to keep the wipers from scratching my cowl on the down stroke. Anyone else had this issue?
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: wiper motor problems

Post by FarmMotorSports »

If that pivot arm on the motor and the arms under the cowl are 50's / or of unknown origin, the odds of ever getting it to park correctly are zero. :2cents:

It sounds like you may have an non original arm on the motor not clocked correctly for your truck. PS. The main arm on the Motor can only be installed two ways, so since the motor isn't trying to park at the top of its stroke, you have it correctly positioned, even if it belongs in a 60's truck or not.

Now as far as adjustments. My arms under the cowl , have two lock washered nuts that clamp on to the stud, and have slotted holes for slight adjustment.

I have never played with the internal motor parking adjustments.
Hopefully one of the other members can give more useful details on that.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
Blackwaterforge

Post by Blackwaterforge »

NOS wiper motor
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/p ... per-motors

The above page may help, the details of park adjustments are near the bottom of the page.
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Maybe this will help. On Carpenters motors, supposedly you run the motor without hooking any wiper linkage to it, then cut it off. After you cut it off, you bolt the short wiper linkage to the shaft in the area as pictured.
Then run it again and cut it off, Now is when you install your wiper arms & blades and they should be correct (or at the minimum would only need to be move 1-2 splines either way on the wiper pivot to get it right).

Personally I'd tape a short toothpick to the pivots, run it, then cut it off several times and be sure it stops in the same place every time before installing the arms & blades.

Sure didn't have to do the old motors like that.......

FarmMotorSports
United States of America

So a carpenter motor is splined, not flat sided on two sides.

That could make it a real pain to get right, but makes it easy to sell for all the models they sell parts for...
It never occurred to me that they were selling universal fit motors. They are supposed to be our supplier for Correct parts.... :hm:
61 F250 Unibody
Disk brake straight axle
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

I finally got a chance to work on this yesterday. Still no progress. The problem is with the adjustable arm that comes off the motor. I don't see any other external adjustments. The Carpenter unit is a nice unit, I'm just having trouble setting it right. Thanks to all for your help. I'll keep at it and post updates soon.

Pat
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

This below applies to non delay and delay set up

wiper motor is the same from 1967-79 trucks,, switches are different but needed is the 73-79 that was for delayed and be sure to ground the switch,, not all of the 61-64 wiper motor brackets, ALL 65/66 will accept the 67/79 motor, need to used that little bracket that was attached with a 7/16 wrench of the 67/79 motor, and on the switch cut off a little on the shaft to accept the factory 61/66 knobs, one thing also is mark where your original motor parked and then be sure it parks in the same place after done so what we do is bench test it so you can see where it parks and see how it delays BOTH the 61-66 and 67/79 trucks will park in the same position when bench testing. Also look at your wiper arms if you bought repo wiper arms BE SURE they are exactly like what they are in the bend area and if they came from LMC or some of these other vendors throw them away and start over

I have not sold a Carpenters wiper motor in at least 10 years now, Reasons the 67/79 motors are so many of them out there new and used, switches are out there, if anything messes up with Carpenters will have to back and get it from them, Only + is they are splined BUT if your wiper transmissions arms under the dash have ever been mixed up # 440 or #508's then will still be a problem
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo