Trans and Ignition Questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

mac
United States of America

Trans and Ignition Questions

Post by mac »

Hello Everyone,

I just got my F100 back running after 2 years chasing ignition and fuel problems (got discouraged and let it sit.) So I'm going to get it driving again. I have a few questions for those more familiar with these old trucks, as I've only ever worked on my truck.

I don't have much experience related to points ignition: I ran an Accel points eliminator for years until they started acting up, couldn't get it to work right so right now it's got all new Echlin points, condenser, coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc. Just rebuilt the carb. Runs pretty good. I set the points initially with a feeler gauge at .019. Now I have a loaner dwell meter (that is unproven) and it's showing dwell at 550rpm at 40 degrees, should I mess with it? Also noticed they must be out of alignment because it's hitting high on the movable side of the point...how do i get it centered?

Now when I drive it it runs pretty good but when you let off the gas and cruise downhill @2-2500 RPM it snaps pretty loud out of the exhaust. It clears up if you keep a little throttle. It runs worse if I play with the timing in either direction. I thought it might be lean for the RPM so I fattened up the fuel/air to 2-1/4 turns on the autolite 2100, it helped a little. What else could it be? Valve lash maybe?

Transmission Questions: It has a 292 with a 3 speed trans. I know it's been swapped because the door tag said the truck has optional overdrive and the switch is still under the gas pedal but the trans looks nothing like what's in the shop manual. I'm trying to ID the trans. It has a 9 bolt side cover, shifter linkage on the side, non-syncro first. Side cover says AB-2227-B. Can't find a ID tag on it. Any idea what it would be? I'd like to get it rebuilt at some point.

It leaks oil pretty good. Can't tell if it's coming from the Y or the 3 speed or both. But it'll make a good puddle in 5 minutes of idling at temperature. I noticed it's collecting at the lowest point of the bell housing... then loading up the crossmember and axle where it drips from. I cleaned the bell housing off really well and theres a small hole in it, dead center, perfect hole..like it was on purpose...and oil collects there. Is that some kind of factory weep hole?

Thanks sticking out the long read and have a good evening!
64 f100 shortbox 292 3spd
SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Trans and Ignition Questions

Post by SteveCanup »

My '64 with 292 pops when going downhill if I lift off of the accelerator pedal. I always thought that was normal. The oil leak is one of two issues, or both, either your rear main oil seal is shot or the rear cam plug (I think that is what it is called) is leaking. The "cam plug" is located on the upper end of the rear of the engine block and is under the bellhousing.

I replaced my rear main oil seal a few years ago because I had the same symptoms that you did. I just dropped the oil pan and replaced it. It is a messy, possibly difficult task...but can be done. Mine still leaks....so I am thinking that the cam plug is the problem (or the rear seal is still leaking, lol).

I'm not an expert mechanic...more "shade tree" than anything else, so do your homework on this. There is some great info on this site and some really smart guys who can lead you in the right direction.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Steve-
1964 F-100
mac
United States of America

Post by mac »

Thanks for the reply Steve; I am a shade tree guy myself. I have an oil pan gasket kit and a Best rear main rope seal, going to tackle that soon and see if it helps. Did you do it with the engine in the truck and get the top half of the seal in above the crank? I want to rebuild the trans and get a new clutch but I don't want to ruin it with leaks. The trans leaks from the shifter bushings, side cover and drain plug; the synchronizer for second gear doesn't work, it grinds.
64 f100 shortbox 292 3spd
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Mac...if I recall correctly, I just pulled the old seal out with a pair of needlenose pliers....and yes, I did this with the engine in the truck. I had the tranny out of gear and rotated the crank to get the seal in. I really don't remember having a lot of issues getting the old seal out or the new one in....but, good luck! I hope that you can get it replaced without much problems.
1964 F-100