WHAT UP???????

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

04sd
United States of America

Re: WHAT UP???????

Post by 04sd »

I've got two other threaded bungs welded to the top of my tank. One is for a vent line, the other is for a return from my surge tank. 302 with EFI. Low pressure electric pump pulls fuel from the factory pick up line to the surge tank with a return to the main tank with a tube that reaches almost the bottom of the tank. Bosch 44 high pressure pump in the surge tank feeds the engine with a return line to the surge tank. The vent line runs from the top of the main tank up the inside corner of the cab and then back down and out the lower corner of the cab. So my tank is vented, I just need an non-vented cap so I don't get any leakage on the outside of the cab.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

I am on here just about every day looking around but not posting much. I have been working on my 65 some after neglecting it for a while . reworked the steering column with new bearings, and have been sanding and redoing some of the bodywork. Still got to repair door bottom on the passenger side where its rusted through. It will be all primer soon if keep sanding all the chips and rust spots. not sure if Ill get it ready for topcoat before winter comes.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Bill
I know they changed the gas filler necks in 1972. and even further up like 73-79 trucks. I don’t ever recall seeing any of those years leaking gas down the side.
You might find it easier to use a later neck, and a non-vented cap, than one to fit the older necks.

Just a thought......
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

oldsmiley wrote:Bill
I know they changed the gas filler necks in 1972. and even further up like 73-79 trucks. I don’t ever recall seeing any of those years leaking gas down the side.
You might find it easier to use a later neck, and a non-vented cap, than one to fit the older necks.

Just a thought......
My brother has a few late 70's Highboys that still have the in-cab tanks. I'll take a look and see if they are any different/better.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

I bought an Innovative Motorsports DLG-1 April 2019. Just installed it yesterday in the 65 F-250. The display is dead. I'll find out if or what it will cost me Monday. Moral of the story: Don't drag your feet installing electronics.
Chris
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

On a positive note the old F-250 has made 10 ½ 1,200 mile round trips Texas to New Mexico over the last year and a half. One trip I had two blow out's and a tire separation on my trailer. Easy fix, put new tires on the truck and swapped the good truck tires to the trailer.
Chris
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

chris401 wrote:On a positive note the old F-250 has made 10 ½ 1,200 mile round trips Texas to New Mexico over the last year and a half. One trip I had two blow out's and a tire separation on my trailer. Easy fix, put new tires on the truck and swapped the good truck tires to the trailer.
I have a trailer I pull about 6500 miles a year to swap meets. I'll admit I load it kinda heavy. Been pulling the same trailer since 1988, and in the beginning I'd nearly have a blowout on every trip for about 16 years. I was thinking that my tire would blow out, and before I could get it stopped, that the fragments of the exploded tire was ripping my rubber valve stem out. It was a NEW tire and valve stem every time.
Then I realized that with the overloading, when you hit a bad dip in a road, the downward force would cause so much added pressure on the valve stem that it would blow the valve stem out, THEN ruin my tire. SO, I installed 4 BOLT IN metal valve stems that year and rarely ever have a blow out anymore. I can even get 5-6 years worth of use out of a set of tires now.

I got the Idea from Henry Ford. If he knew to put metal valve stems in my 1971 F-250 Camper Special (knowing it would be carrying added weight sometimes) I figured there must be a good reason for it. Just sorry I'm such a SLOW learner......
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Ford made 2 gas filler tubes, 1 non pollution < 57/72 > and other with pollution 70/72 . First thing people ask my truck has no pollution, well they do not know trucks, 70/72 trucks Ford called pollution as having charcoal canister, so the filler tube has a hose about the size of a heater hose going off filler tube to top of tank, then 2 smaller hoses going to a valve on back wall of cab, then another from there to pass. side of cab to the charcoal canister. Gas caps where from 57/72 NON POLLUTION, and then 70/72 POLLUTION and these where marked on cap saying pressurized and do not mix them up, 73/79 in cab tanks the filler tube was like the 70/72 but did not have that extra hose, then 73/76 gas fillet tubes 4 different ones for front tank and 4 for the rear tank that cannot be interchange and the 77/79 trucks was the same way 4 different for front 4 for the rear,, what was on most of the 73/77 in cab tanks where on 73/77.5 4x4 trucks, cab/chassis F-350 trucks and crew cab trucks,
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I ordered some seat belt mounting brackets, got them in today. Got them installed where I wanted them. Just for lap belts, (planning to run used belts, at least until I get my seat covered). I'll try and get them in tomorrow, if the temps will let me. In the mid 90's for the next 7-8 days, with killer humidity. Had to quit early tonight, too much sweat in my eyes to see what I was doing.

But on the bright side, maybe I can lose a few pounds in the process....

GOT THEM IN.........
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

I just don't make time to post anything after I've been in the shop, just come inside, clean up and go to bed. And sometime last year something happened with my phone so I can't log in on it to post anything. Too lazy to drag out the laptop and do it but hope to do better.

AND Tom, what's up with you in the hospital?!?!?!
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

getting old so had to get some bladder stones removed, hardest part was 2 days before that a virus check up the nose at least came back negative
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Glad to hear it wasn't too serious!! Sorry you had to get test sticks run up to your brain. Looks like they could just let you cough in a bag since "it spreads so easily through the air :roll: :roll:
I need to come up for a shopping trip soon
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

It's like I can't catch a break between the high temps and a shortage of free time. I broke a trailing arm on the rear end of my 64 S/B Saturday a week ago. Too hot and too busy to fix it yet. Will be getting ready for the Grand National F-100 Show. Will be working there all next week, then a week or week and a half to recover, and THEN might luck up and get time to start on the repair.

I have the rear end, and the 4 link set up. It's just the time and temps that are forbidding me to start sooner.

Guess I'll move it to my Projects and Builds page when I start.

Have you ever thought about what the Bible says about our allotted time on this earth?

James 4:14
Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

That's our whole 50, 60, 80, 90, or 100 years on this earth. If God promises me 20 more years, I'll be 86. If the next 20 fly by like the last 20, I better get on the ball....and SUPER QUICK.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Well, last weeks Grand National F-100 Show is now in the history book (a pretty darn good one, considering the worlds Virus problems), and I'm almost caught up from being gone.
With a few more daily temps in the 90's this week, then dropping back to the low 80's, I'll attempt to start making progress on putting my Slick back on the road. She looks so sad just sitting there, gotta get out my BIG BOX of F-100 BAND-AIDS and get to work.

Will be making posts on my Project and Builds page then.......

It's times like this that I get EXCITED about working :woohoo:

See ya there..... :D
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Hi all, I am just getting back to the board. I tried to go the Facebook route, and I do like the truck groups there, but I ain’t figured out a way to keep a build thread, from start to finish. Definitely easier to post pictures, but my post just go to a bunch of people I went to high school with 40 years ago and they can’t figure out why I am so excited that I got my windshield wiper motor working.

I use post image and it works, but is a pain.

So I have a new build going Blacktruck 65 and I am going to try to keep up here. I really enjoy seeing progress on other builds, great tips and knowledge here, it encourages my to get off my lazy butt and work on the truck.

JeffinMooresville
Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway