mono leaf springs

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

gumshoe

mono leaf springs

Post by gumshoe »

has anyone used the mono leaf springs on a 61- 64 F100? seems as it would be a fast and easy way to drop the front 3 or 4". any pros or cons on there use. my 64 sits 5" above the tire in front, not cool. Thanks
Bill: shasta lake ca. 1966 F100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: mono leaf springs

Post by SteveCanup »

I ran mono's on the front of my '64 F-100 for several years with no issues. I did add a sway bar, new gas shocks and disc brakes (not breaks...lol). The mono's are pricey, as mine were a little over $500. I pulled all of it out and bought an '87 Jaguar XJ6 IFS for $300 which lowered my truck several more inches than the mono's, is the same width as the Ford straight axle and gave me an excellent ride and handling. Just my 2 cents worth....
1964 F-100
charliemccraney

Re: mono leaf springs

Post by charliemccraney »

I've had mono's up front for the past 18 years, daily driven.

What I remember (be skeptical of an 18 year old memory) is that it handled a little better, maybe rode a little better, but still very much a solid axle truck, they won't do magic.

I'm not going to pretend to know the technical pros and cons but front installation is about as easy as it gets. If you ever decide to lower the rear, that is where you will have a little more difficulty, if you want it to be right, because lowering the rear results in a poor angle for the rear shocks, requiring the frame and/or axle mounting points be moved to position the shock more upright.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.