Cowl Panel Patches

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Cowl Panel Patches

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Have y'all seen Carolina Classics patch panels for the outside lower cowl? I know there is usually still alot more to replace behind these pieces but excited to see more new replacement panels coming out for 61-66's
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Re: Cowl Panel Patches

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Looks like real nice piece, only thing I have encountered is that if it has cancer in the inner kick panel and is gone or gone into the bottom where the bolt bolts on the bottom of fender then that part will not help in those areas, Original Ford had a replacement part that was the whole panel < inner/outer > but have not seen them in years, Of Course I have been selling these inner/outer kick panels for years now for 61/64, 65/66, 67/72, 73/79 Trucks,, Still looks like I nice item,, Did not see any price yet ?
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Oh you're right Tom! If you have to replace this part, you have alot more repairs to do underneath these. Only good thing about that is most of those parts are fairly straight pieces and don't require much as far as forming weird curves. The price is a 60-day special for $160/pair (not sure when the 60 days are up) I received a set yesterday and they are very nice. They are in e-coat primer which is good with me cause these will be on the shelf for some time until I start another project. They are not a full panel, only go past the inspection hole about an inch or so, but the upper part usually isn't rusty.
Here are mine:
Sure would have been a timesaver a few years ago for me but.........
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Did they come from overseas ??? always ask when I see that E-Coating ? , OH well we will see how they go, we will still sell our complete ones that are the complete one with lower door hinge, kick panel and part in pic etc.. I know the 53/56 cowl panels are pure junk , when the 53/56 where made in the USA where great, then they went to the Tawain specials and pure junk if want it right about half gallon of bondo will work to make those right..

160.00 a pair seems to be a good price, will save a lot of work if also they are good and thick, only reason needs to be heavy is all the road trash kicked up from the front tires will put a hurt on them if they are thin
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

My wife's nightmare
United States of America

They seem heavy enough, very close to same gauge as the originals. I'm definitely not trying to keep people from buying a complete unit from y'all, just sharing some options, and I know you didn't take it that way. Its really hard for me to watch you cut up them rust-free cabs y'all bring back :D (I'm a bit sentimental!)

And "oldsmiley" I can't seem to get a PM back to you, but you are correct
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

I am glad somebody is making them, a lot more parts could be made if it's going to be good quality and fit right, that's all anybody should ask for
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Fredsf100

Post by Fredsf100 »

I read this post last week about the new Carolina Classics Cowl replacement panels, and was sort of confused.
Maybe it's just me but I never have liked "guess work", I'd rather know for sure. SO, today I had some time to spare
and I rode down to Carolina Classics to pick up a pair of the Cowl panels for myself. While I was there, I even took
the time to check the thickness on the 1964 cab that they had taken the cowl panels off of to use for the pattern. When
I checked the original thickness, It was 18 Ga. and I also checked the new ones and they too are 18 Ga.

Image Image Image

They have always made great parts and this one falls right in there with the others. It sure would be nice if they made
ALL the parts that they sell, but with 30-35 different suppliers, who make some of the other parts, they just have to find
the supplier who makes the best parts and buy from them.

At least now I KNOW that these are high quality parts, and there's no more wondering or guess work.

Oh, and Rick was also making some more SHORT bed moldings, and cab corner moldings for the 1965-66 when I got
there. Just so you guys who are waiting for them can know that they are coming.

Image Image
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Glad to see they are made in same gauge since that part will always take a beating from road trash and also the trash from sitting under the trees with coming in from the vents,, That was my main concern,, I know if Rick made them will be good since he has always been like that but this E-Coating on some parts have been taking a bad rap over the years and here I only thought is was done over seas
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Concerning slick body parts, did Ford use the same gauge metal on all of there cab? Were pieces like cab mounts, floor pans and braces thicker?
Chris
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

chris401 wrote:Concerning slick body parts, did Ford use the same gauge metal on all of there cab? Were pieces like cab mounts, floor pans and braces thicker?
Door pillars and cab mounts are structural parts of the cab, just like the brick and block foundation for a house. The stronger pieces hold everything else together. The door pillars are 14 gauge, cab mounts are 14 gauge, the floor pans are 18 gauge. You also have to consider 18 gauge US metal is very different from 18 gauge foreign metal.
Most everything else on the cab you’ll find is 18 gauge . Even 18 gauge sounds flimsy but with enough stampings, dimples, and bends in metal that thin makes it very strong.

It’s like this you could find good and bad metal parts for F 100s that are made in the US and foreign countries. It depends on who’s making them, and whether they’re out to make a lot of money, or to make a good part

It’s safer to just ask the members of Slick60s who have already purchased some whether they are good or bad pieces.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

I was thinking the other way, 14 is pretty thick. My headliner is gone, the point where I can put my finger in the hole above the visor feels like it was no thicker than the floor pans. The pieces I robbed from an old cab made me curious but I haven't cut into the pillar support either.

EDIT: I'll cut into that spare cab support one day and see what is in there, likely your right. It has been over 20 years since I was tossing sheet metal onto an Amada.
Chris
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Sorry chris401

That was an honest misprint on my part. The 61-66 door pillars are 16 ga., 61-64 floor pans (the good ones) are 18 ga., and the 61-64 cab mounts are 14 ga.