BlackTruck Build 65

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Re: BlackTruck Build 65

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Haven’t posted in a while, kinda hit a wall on my project. I really need to get motivated, get off my rear and get busy. I took a year off work ,planned on retiring… but with the market killing my 401k and the economy… I have gone back to work. Feel like I have squandered the time off and should have focused on the truck. Oh well, life happens.

I did get a start on putting the clutch, and transmission back together with engine, so I can put that in for the final time. My gauges have been on back order, but they are supposed to ship by end of July, so hopefully, I can wrap up cab wiring.

Oh well, let me stop complaining and get back to work.

Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

We need to knock that wall down and get back on this green truck!!
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Ok, went over to Doug’s house and seeing his progress on his truck made me want to get off my ass and get back on it. Friggin hot in the shop, even in the morning. getting a couple of small items done, Got the trans ready to put back on engine and get it in the truck.

Putting Tremec 5 speed trans on and this came as part of kit from American Powertrain.

cleaned up flywheel and got it torqued in place.

Clutch and pressure plate installed.

And finally the hydraulic clutch actuator on the transmission.

Did the measurements for the spacing and with the blue spacer and post included in the kit for ford, it aligned perfectly. Will finish up the assembly and get it ready to put back in the truck (hopefully for final time.
Jeff in Mooresville
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Got a few small things done this weekend. Been working on getting the firewall buttoned up. Got windshield wiper mechanism installed, gas pedal and a few other items.

I am a pretty much ready to wire the dash, but I am waiting on the gauges that I ordered in February ! Really had my heart set on a set of Stewart Warner Green line gauges, but if I don’t hear something soon, I may have to find an alternative.

I also am going thru the front end doing the “final” install and torque everything down. When I installed front end suspension , brakes and spindles, I did a dry fit. So now, I am going back and finishing up the install. There were a number of places on the spindles that I had to cut for the brakes, and other places that were bare metal that have rusted over, so got those all pulled off, cleaned up and will throw the paint to them this week and get everything re-installed.

Had to go to 3 stores to find satin black paint.

Still pretty hot in the shop, but like my dad would say… that truck ain’t gonna put itself back together, so I have to stay on it.
Jeff in Mooresville
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Alright, made a little slow progress this weekend. Got the front end reassembled, dialed in the brakes and got everything torqued down. You know how you have something that you think should take a couple of hours, and it takes all day.

Hoping I can get master cylinder bench bled and get my brakes operational.
Jeff in Mooresville
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Got the master bench bled and installed on the truck.

Cracked the rear right bleed screw and figured I would let it gravity bleed, and it did…. By the time I got back from parts store it had drained rear cylinder all over the floor. Rookie mistake, anyway, I got it cleaned up snugged the bleed screw down and called it a day. I wasn,t able to get back at it for a couple of days, but when I did, I noticed that the front cylinder had also drained empty. Appeared to be either where the fitting goes into the cylinder or the flex line connecting cylinder with hardlines.

I reassembled using some thread-seal and snugged up. This time I am using some rubbing alcohol for the leak test and will pull the master and re bench bleed it after I get the leaks fixed. It’s always something.
Jeff in Mooresville
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Picked up a grill a couple weeks ago. Truck had a 66 steel grill and I really wanted a 65, so found this locally. Seems to be in pretty good shape, I guess I will need to do the oven cleaner thing and polish it up.

Image.

I have been working on wiring, seems to be never ending. My gauges finally came in (I ordered these in February) , so I have been working on a wiring harness. I have the power, ground and lights, just have to determine how I am going to connect the gauges. Don’t know if I just run everything thru single connector.

Gauge set did not come with indicator lights for turn signals or hi beams, so I have to find some that match the gauges. And figure out where to install those.

Jeff in Mooresville
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Looks great
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
grump

Post by grump »

I like that dash insert and the gauges, that's going to be a really nice looking truck when it's finished.
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Thank April and Grump, slow progress is better than no progress.
Jeff in Mooresville
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Ditto on the gauges looking good! I've always liked SW stuff and when they brought back the greenline series I was very excited. I almost bought the same set, but I really wanted to have an all-in-one style for this one. Still wound up with three gauges but they'll be ok. Time to get serious about tying up your wiring so you can drive it!
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Major step today . Doug came over and helped my get Trans on Engine….. and installed in truck. Trans was a little snug going on, but a little persuasion, it finally went.

Also finally got the trans Cross member installed.

Man , my back is glad that is done. How great it is to have a good friend that is also mechanic when you need some help,. Thanks again Doug.
Jeff in Mooresville
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Looks so good.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

With the engine in, I can start to install the components and move closer to starting this thing up !

Got headers, carb and alt/power steering pump and front serpentine system.

I did have an issue with the Starter. The starter has a lip on it that us just a little larger than the alignment plate by the flywheel. Even if it fit, it appears to be too deep… and I am afraid it would hit the balance weights on flywheel. The plate is 1/16” thick MAX…. But the lip of the starter is about 3/16”. There does not appear to be that much room in the starter pocket.

Anyone have any advice on this?
Jeff in Mooresville
grump

Post by grump »

Jeff, maybe I missed it but what headers did you use? I have a 351 windsor also, I have GT40P heads and wondered what would work.
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Hi Grump. I found these shorty headers on Craigslist and the price was right so I chanced it. I don’t think they have a brand name on them. I have aftermarket alum heads, but the headers were just smalll block ford. I don’t know if the GT40 heads have a different pattern. They have plenty of clearance as you can see from previous mock up.

Jeff in Mooresville
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

I found the problem with the starter. I bought the wrong one. Evidently this is correct starter for 351W with 164 tooth flywheel and manual transmission…. Except if the transmission is a T5/ Tremec 5 speed . :roll:

So… bought starter a while ago, so can’t return it… and have to buy new starter.
Jeff in Mooresville
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

It's always a pleasure to help move your project along! Wish I'd stayed around to see the new valve covers and breather go on!! Glad you figured out the starter deal. Keep checking things off on the list, we'll be riding before too long!

Hey Grump, as for the headers, if you actually have "P" heads, you're unfortunately pretty limited on header choices. The spark plug angle is different and that's why it is very difficult to make regular small block headers fit. Best bet is find a V8 Explorer and use its headers. Or if you win the lottery, have a set custom made.
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Made a little more progress.

Inner fenders and core support in place.

Radiator assembled and installed. I used same radiator that I used in the 63 - Cold Case.

Also got the Lokar throttle cable installed…

And made up the last hose for fuel line.

Still a long way to go.
Jeff in Mooresville
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Ok, with the radiator and engine in… the previous placement for my electrical was in the way of the alternator…. So I had to relocate again….

Pulled the rad support… for easier access… what would we do without the hoist?

i have this box that has all of the relays in it…. Nice package, but takes up some room. I wanted to try and keep engine compartment tidy, so mounted the starter switch under the battery box.

I did get the new starter installed. Still have some routing to work out for engine wiring… but getting closer.
Jeff in Mooresville