Distributor

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Distributor

Post by shipwrecked »

How can you tell what engine a distributor went into? Example, I have a six cylinder dizzy that I got last year in a stack of parts. He had a 64 or 65. But it wasn’t a 223.

No markings on the dizzy that I can see.

I want to replace my 223 dizzy but need something that will fit.

Considering a 300 swap dizzy but I have to get one. NAPA doesn’t sell it unless you present a core.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
greentruck
United States of America

Re: Distributor

Post by greentruck »

Most of the time theres a number stamped or cast directly on the distributor. Have also saw them with just a tag. If you do swap to a 300 distributor I recomend a duraspark unit , looks like rock auto has them for like 45 dollars with no core charge. Whats wrong with your current one?
66 f100 4x4 ,64 f100 4x4 ,65 f100 2wd, 76 bronco, 74 bronco, 68 bronco, 69 mustang mach 1,68 torino gt,42 ford gpw
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

a 300 will fit your 223 with mods you will need to bore out the 223 drive gear to fit, and either replace your oil pump to a 64, or adapt hex drive key from 5/16ths to 1/4" on one end.
By the way a core is just a core ,use your parts dizzy as one
Last edited by unibody madness on October 17, 2020, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Okay- i wasn't sure if they wanted a specific core. I can order the 300 dizzy and do the swap project.

To answer the question about my dizzy... I had read a bunch about the loadomatic dizzy is terrible and If I am not using the specific carb it sure was garbage. Heck I don't even know what dizzy mine was- Bubba owned this truck before me and I've even done the Bubba mods on my own.

I have a ebay CarbKing 1bb on mine now that Tom recommended a few years back.
I am just looking at anything to make this truck reliable.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
greentruck
United States of America

Post by greentruck »

I don't blame you for wanting a newer style ignition on your truck. Have you put a timing light on your current setup to see what it's doing as far as advancing? Over the years I've ran just about every style (load o matic,regular points with mechanical advance, duraspark, pertronics conversions ,ect.) and have had more trouble with the pertronics than anything else.
66 f100 4x4 ,64 f100 4x4 ,65 f100 2wd, 76 bronco, 74 bronco, 68 bronco, 69 mustang mach 1,68 torino gt,42 ford gpw
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Unless the distributor in your truck now is completely worn out, I'd recommend a Petronix conversion and a new vacuum advance. The carburetor you have should be a big leap forward from the original so you got the air and fuel right, now all you need is the spark. I'd also run the plugs that are supposed to be in the 223, a new set of wires that have been checked on the bench before you install them, seen to many over the years that had a bad crimp or break in the wire after pulling my hair out trying to figure out why a running engine prior to the tune up now runs like crap. I know there has been quite a bit of discussion about bad experiences with the Petronix conversion and I did have one fail, but the years of service I've gotten out of I don't know how many conversions I've done has been impressive. Be sure to run their coil and here again put the meter on it and be sure its in specs. Quality anywhere is getting harder to find these days. Just my opinion so use it as you see fit. Good luck whichever direction you decide to go!!