Finally. Heat!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Doc Pepper

Finally. Heat!

Post by Doc Pepper »

After fifteen years, I finally have heat. The engine began to overheat and I started to smell something in the cab, as well as seeing some wet stains under the plenum. So I picked up a replacement heater core at Auto Zone. The new core was extremely light (made of aluminum), and I was worried about its ruggedness and reliability, but I was determined to replace the 55 yo core. When I installed the new core (it went right in), I added some padding around it to ensure that all air had to go through the core. And it worked. Now I wouldn't try to melt steel with the BTU output, but, with the passenger window down (Mandatory when you have an 80 pound dog), I actually had a warm cab with the blower on low.
Over the years I tested the core with air, I tried different hose placements and configurations, and I even went to a 180* thermostat, but nothing worked. I guess, sometimes, you just have to buy a new core.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Finally. Heat!

Post by slick4x4 »

good to hear from you Doc !

i have taken several non-functioning heaters apart
a good cleaning and the hoses hooked up correctly
have made them blow good heat

main problem around here (kansas) is mice love to
pack them full of seat cushion material for nest !
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

Well, would you believe that during my heater core test ride (50 miles), the alternator failed. And when I changed it out the water pump failed (water all over the place, in fact the shepherd got a full bath). And of course on the coldest day of the year. And the auto store did not have the right lower radiator hose, so I had to put the old one back. Then she overheated right off the bat even though I had filled the radiator to the top. But when I refilled the radiator with another gallon or so, everything worked. I guess I'll try it around town for a few hundred miles, but it looks like it is working and I do have good heat.
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Heat is a great thing!
It always amazes me how the snowball effect works. Experience it quite frequently too. Sometimes I wonder if I'd just fix whatever when it fails instead of putting it off, if I'd avoid rebuilding the whole vehicle later when I finally fix the first problem. Might be old vehicle karma
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

Well, its been a month. I still have heat and I still have a full radiator. Almost forgot the horrible sense that my truck is no longer capable of holding water. Now if I could only get two doors.