What's Happened to this Place?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Doc Pepper

What's Happened to this Place?

Post by Doc Pepper »

What has happened to this website? I remember when a post would get pushed off the front page after a few days. I just noticed that I was still the last poster to this forum, yet my recent posts were almost 10 days old. I could understand other members refusing to read my babble. It wouldn't be the first time I was shunned from a group. But this place is dead. Have all the members sold (or junked) their slicks? Has everyone learned all there is to know about their slicks, so they have no further need of communicating here? Are there even any other slicks left on the road? Is mine the last. I noticed that Autozone has almost no parts stocked for my truck anymore. It took me two days to get the rear brake and axle parts for my last repair. Is the slick dead??
I admit, there may be months between my posts. I am quite busy. No not will the preoccupations of the youth, but with the chores of old age. Vacuuming the living room used to take 10 minutes. Now it is an afternoon project that requires additional rest when finished. Brushing my teeth is now a thirty minute workout. I slipped a tiny bit in the dirt while walking the shepherd and my foot was swollen for a week. And of course, I still don't have internet access at my home, so I must go to the library to do things like this. So I can understand a slight slacking in messaging.
But nothing for over a week?!
Toyz
United States of America

Re: What's Happened to this Place?

Post by Toyz »

Hi, Doc!
There are still slicks around; I still have 12, although several are returning to original state due to neglect!
The supply chain (and prices) have become problematic, and long haul Covid has had an ill effect on my daily life.
Beating off spammers on FB forums has become my all-consuming online activity.
I just showed up here to see if the Slickstock clock is yet ticking.
Glad to see you are still around!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Most Slick discussions have migrated over the facebook groups....

It will likely pick up some as SS10 approaches but unfortunately I'm afraid the 'rush hour traffic' and heavy usage here is a thing of the past.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

The one thing that has slowed it down is Facebook
People have a question about these trucks
Post it there & get an answer within minutes
Though most of the people on there answering
Don’t know jackschitt half of the time
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
grump

Post by grump »

I don't know much about facebook , is the draw just being able to get instant answers even if they're wrong? I guess I'm not curious enough to join the book to find out, I just check in here to see if anything is happening.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

You can limit who your “friends” are on Facebook
But Facebook has many “groups” … such as “Slick 60s”
“67-72 Bumps”… dog groups … cat groups
Anything you can imagine groups ….. :shock:
but if you are in such a group
And ask a question or comment …
Then ANYBODY in that group can reply to you
Friend …. Or not
And there are some real stubborn people out there
They do not go there to learn …
they go there to convince the world about their opinion :cussing:
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I was on Facebook about 12 years ago and I supposedly had 403 friends. When a birthday rolled around I had to cut my phone off because of all the happy birthday wishes jamming it up.

When I decided to make Facebook history and quit participating, the very next year I had a grand total of 3 genuine friends call and wish me happy birthday.

Besides, I assumed that all Slick60s members were friends whether we’ve met or not……
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Lack of an onsite photo host probably hasn't helped keep the sites popularity going. A few of us got a reality check using a free photo host. It will happen again down the road unless we are able to post photos directly to this site.
Chris
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Facebook is easier, faster, etc. etc. I loved this page, it was very helpful to me initially with a lot of great information, but I was often frustrated at the "process" of posting pics. It was more than I had time for. I can post a pic instantly on Facebook...and usually get help, or a question answered just as quick. Facebook has it's pro's and con's...choose your poison. I would say that most everyone that used to be here, me included, have migrated to Facebook or some other medium. I have abandoned my build thread and have not been on here for months, as I just came to see if the sight was still here. I really do not know anyone on here except for 2-3 people and they are all on Facebook now. This format just seems "clunky" now....it is just the "evolution" of things....
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

I agree that posting pictures here is clunky, but it's still my go to place for my truck fix, even though there is not as much activity as there used to be. I'm not a regular poster as I should be, but it is part of my regular morning routine: devotions, Slick 60's, and NHRA, in that order :)
I'm just not going to give into social media and I do hate that so many members have left here due to the photo posting issue. It's great to still have a free site and thanks for all of y'all that are still posting here. Yes, things change and sometimes we have to change as well but I'll still be around here as long as I can. Sure miss you Steve, but you know you're always welcome to stop by the shop when you come through to Salisbury!
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I check in here about daily after checking e-mail, I do not post as much since the picture posting screw up. I admit to going on face book but just to hear from friends and family. There is just to much of bad advice and political BS over there.Hope it never goes away as the temperament here is easier to take.
be well folks you are all missed.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
grump

Post by grump »

I still check in here about everyday even though there isn't a whole lot going on. I've never been intrigued enough to join face book and from what I hear said I'm not really missing anything. You're probably not going to find out the details for Slick Stock on the face book page and that seems to be the most important thing on this site. That and seeing what Pat might be up to. lol
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

If posting pictures is stopping people from posting
I’ll show you what I use
And I’m DEFINITELY not computer smart
Go to this website….. https://postimages.org/
Resize to 320x240
Choose your image
Copy the “direct link”
Then go to (Img) box above and click
Paste the direct link between the image links
… it might be a little difficult at first
But after you do it a couple times it’s pretty simple
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

I have to say that for a ton of exposure and quick responses, FTE is the place to go. Over the years, I did hear a small steady number of mentions about this site, but when I finally got around to checking it out, it has been , to put it (almost) politely - underwhelming. More like a few old buddies having a semi-regular chat, if you will. Sorry, but that’s my honest assessment.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Guess that warrants a reply!
Without being excessively negative ( for a change); I wouldn't trust ANYTHING found on the current FTE!
If you like the half-truths and outright false information that is the basis of Facebook, you'll love FTE, or whatever it's current moniker may be!
JMO, as usual, " your mileage may differ"!
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

Toyz wrote:Guess that warrants a reply!
Without being excessively negative ( for a change); I wouldn't trust ANYTHING found on the current FTE!
Blanket statements - like the above - are usually foolish.

There is tons of collective wisdom on FTE, across all the Forums I’ve been associated with. But wisdom means you need to discern whose advice to take.

Back to the topic at hand: I think this forum is only just hanging on by a thread, I check in about once a week to find if there’s anything useful, am usually disappointed. Probably 50-100 times more traffic over “there” in the Slicks forum, and lots of it is younger guys building more modern or non-stock trucks that I do not really care for. However, still plenty of stock (or mostly so) guys hanging about who know their shit. You are simply wrong.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

" Blanket statement", ehh?
With all due respect to a fellow member, my "opinion"is based on daily fact, as you yourself noted.
I have yet to see ANY proof behind YOUR "blanket statements", including the "you are simply wrong!"
Don't like the "younger guys building"? Gee, we should definitely discourage that!
Luckily, you have options, even if I also dispute the " hanging by a thread"!
'Nuff said!
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

FTE for the most part turns my stomach! The percentage of assholes is just way too high.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Where's the "like" button?
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

The great thing about the internet is if you do not like a site for what ever reason, you do not have to go there. I personally do not go to FTE. I do not need to bash it. I could, I choose not to
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!