More alternator questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

More alternator questions

Post by dotcentral »

Take a look in my album at the newest photo. http://forums.carolinafords.org/album_p ... pic_id=349

My discount parts store (Advance Auto) alternator has the connections on the wrong side for my FE high mount location. I tried, but it won't work, the ground won't reach the block. Plus, even if it did the alternator is so close to the block there isn't enough room for wires.

I'm sure I got a 1 size fits all Ford 3 wire alt, that their computer lists as fitting everything Ford made between 65 and 79. Anyone have a good part number for NAPA, Autozone, or somewhere else to get one that not only fits physically, but will actually work? Maybe I need to take time Monday and hit Carpenters or NPD with the old one to find the one I need.

Or, anyone know how to re-clock an alternator? In other words, take the case apart and turn it so the connectors are on the correct side for my needs? Is it easy? Or easy to screw up?
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

you can re clock it, just need to be carefull not to break anything when doing it. I havent clocked one in years, but have clocked several in the past. the small bolts that hold the two cases together are removed. seperate the cases. I believe youll need to remove the pulley nut and pulley also. Mabye someone else can fill you in a little better because I cant remember if there is anything else needs done to seperate them.

I hate when I forget this kind of stuff :evil:
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Dot, you have room for the regulator shown here? Maybe it would help.

http://www.galaxieclub.com/alternator-conversion.html
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

No, I have the high mount, and there is very little room between the block and the back of the alternator.

I don't want to convert to the low mount setup if I can avoid it.
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

shawns fords wrote:you can re clock it, just need to be carefull not to break anything when doing it. I havent clocked one in years, but have clocked several in the past. the small bolts that hold the two cases together are removed. seperate the cases. I believe youll need to remove the pulley nut and pulley also. Mabye someone else can fill you in a little better because I cant remember if there is anything else needs done to seperate them.

I hate when I forget this kind of stuff :evil:

Yup, that is correct, The alternators are all the same just depends on which way the back was screwed on. Take the four screws out and rotate the housing. It is not too easy as you will need to pop the back loose but don't want it to come off because the brushes will come out. If the brushes do come out then remove the back and stick a paperclip through the hole in the back and tuck the brushes in and reinstall it and then pull the clip out. Hawkrod
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Well, took much longer than I planned for, but put it all back together this evening and she's running good again. I wound up using a PEP boys alternator, It was already clocked the way I needed it to be. Painted up my brackets, fan, spacer, battery tray, and replaced the original-looking battery cables with new.

Of course painting and replacing just a few things makes the rest of it look bad. We'll have to see if this spirals out of control. :P
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

[quote=

Of course painting and replacing just a few things makes the rest of it look bad. We'll have to see if this spirals out of control. :P[/quote]

haha seriously!!!

I don't know anything about spinning the guts around. all that I know is that the alternator on my 390 is REALLY close to the head- so that I have to hook it up before installation, then shove it in place real hard to bolt it on.
And the Alt make funny sqweaky whizzy noises most of the time, because it fell off a nail in the rafters of the garage, about 9 feet up, onto a concrete floor. I was buildin the engine, and cleanin/paintin parts, and had hung it up. it bent the nail. Seems fine, but makes a bit of noise....
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage