Driveshafts

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Combat_Medic

Driveshafts

Post by Combat_Medic »

The driveshaft on my f250 2wd is a 2-piece unit. I have also noticed one piece driveshafts in parts catalogs and such. I was wondering what the significance of this is. Are there benefits to having one or the other in a given performance envelope or is this just one of those things? What is the rationale? Long bed vs short bed maybe? Just wondering, thanks for any info.

-Josh
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." - Plain speakin' Harry Truman
turtle1056

Post by turtle1056 »

general rule of thumb for a truck is no shaft over five feet long to prevent whip or occilations, or bending, hence the midspan hanger bearing, and two piece shaft. It also allows for smaller tube sizes

is why u see multi piece shafts under larger five ton n up straightframes

you will notice that the longer one piece shafts have a very much larger tube size to alleviate this problem
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

my F-450 has 4 drivesahfts under her
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:my F-450 has 4 drivesahfts under her

WOW!!! that sounds like a bloody pain to determine which one is the bad Ujoint... haha

I read somewhere that on a 1 piece driveshaft, there is actually some sort of "surging" that takes place

Supposedly, as it turns, it spins a bit quicker right when the Ujoints flip over. But if there was 2 ujoints in a cluster, it would relieve this issue. I don't "fully" understand it, but I got a decent grasp of it anyway.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

I hope I am not overstating the obvious, but the need for a two piece driveshaft in the pickups often depends on the transmission used in the truck, more than the length - although that is a factor in larger trucks.

The driveline requires an inline slipjoint allow for the change in angle declension between the fixed transmission and the floating axle. When the truck is loaded, the angle is smaller, and the driveshaft needs to be shorter; when the truck is empty, the angle is greater, and needs to be longer.

Most automatic transmissions have a slip joint for the output shaft. Most manual transmissions, and some older automatics like the COM have a fixed output shaft. The driveline must incorporate a slip joint elsewhere, hence the two piece driveshaft.

Even larger trucks will have this feature in place.
Perhaps I have misread your question?
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

When I get the 5 speed for my Uni I will pull the driveshaft too so I have one to get shortened. I now have a carrier bearing under the truck, this will eliminate that.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i have a one piece out of a 66 f100 long bed, but i can't remember if it was an auto or manual truck.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Combat_Medic

Post by Combat_Medic »

Wow, learn something everyday. Thank you guys for the information - Banjo and Turtle especially. Once again, free exchange of knowledge for the win.
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." - Plain speakin' Harry Truman