Rag joint to steering column attachement, ? weld versus ????

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cdherman

Rag joint to steering column attachement, ? weld versus ????

Post by cdherman »

OK this is more of general opinion question. As part of my swap to a PS steering, I have a shorter shaft from a 71. The bottom of the shaft has the top 1/2 of the rag joint attached to it.

Well, that top 1/2 "flange" of the rag joint is a little loose on my shaft. Now, it appears that the flange was not welded at ll, but instead the shaft and flange had splines. The shaft appears to have extended a little out of the bottom of the flange and then it was "swaged" or heated up and "mushroomed", so that the flange would not come off.

I am tempted to heat up the bottom the shaft and when its red hot, beat it with an appropriate sized punch to expand the end of the shaft back up and tighten the flange back up.

Does anyone see a problem here? Metal fatigue? Seems that there would be no more danger of that then would occur if I tried to weld it.

Heating it up and beating it just seems too easy somehow.....
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Dave

I would just hit it with the MIG.... Not sure what the cherry red would do to the rockwell temper?

Garbz
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

I shortened mine and welded it, no prob.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

ONE PROBLEM Is the shaft at the top is going to have to be cut some since your stock wheel will fit but the horn ring will not cut about 1/4 of threads with that little stub on it
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Already have the shaft shortened on the top.

Yeah, heating might change the temper. But a weld can fail. I figure there was a reason why FoMoCo didn't weld them in the first place......

Suppose in the end, either option will work.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!