Automatic to Manual Carb???

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Combat_Medic

Automatic to Manual Carb???

Post by Combat_Medic »

What needs to be done to a carb that came from an automatic equipped truck in order to use it on a manual tranny truck? Yeah, I tell you guys everytime so no need to remind me - I'm mechanically inferior... Sure appreciate any know-how on this one.
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." - Plain speakin' Harry Truman
Combat_Medic

Post by Combat_Medic »

Anyone? Please?
"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." - Plain speakin' Harry Truman
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

nothing .it will work just fine.
it is the manual carb that must be adapted to fit an AT truck due to the downshift linkage however it will still work as-is as long as you manually downshift to 2 when passing, etc.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Combat_Medic

Post by Combat_Medic »

Sweet, thanks ICEMAN!
MrEvil

Post by MrEvil »

Yeah, I was fixing to say all that's different is the kick-down linkage or vaccuum line for the auto trans.

You don't really need the kickdown either if your truck has the power and the gearing. My dad's '78 F350 has had it's kickdown disconnected since he had the transmission rebuilt, never has needed it... then again that truck has some crazy slow rear axle ratio that makes it shift to third gear before you hit 25mph.
Vehicles:

2000 F250 Superduty Crew cab
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(work beater)
1961 F100 Uni (my baby)
1966 Thunderbird: someday.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

it hits third before 25??? H.S. that thing is like a tractor....

Major thing, you will need to cap/plug the vacuum port for the auto trans. It'll run like hell if you don't.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage