Trans cooler

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dwbr

Trans cooler

Post by dwbr »

does anyone know if these type coolers perform any better than the standard coolers ? is a dual pass 24' long

________
FFM BLOWJOB
Last edited by dwbr on March 26, 2011, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

sure looks fancy, but I would say it probably wouldn't have anywhere near standard efficiency. There's not much surface area, compared to a radiator type, anyway.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

blackagatha wrote:sure looks fancy, but I would say it probably wouldn't have anywhere near standard efficiency. There's not much surface area, compared to a radiator type, anyway.

I agree. Looks fancy. Surface area is what matters. If you cannot stand an accessorry cooler in front of the rad, then perhaps you could mount one of these somewhere, but otherwise, I would avoid it.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
cdherman

Re: Trans cooler

Post by cdherman »

dwbr wrote:is a dual pass

Note that the exiting oil should not be anywhere close to the incoming oil. The incoming oil is HOT, the exiting oil we hope is cooler.

This design puts them right NEXT to each other, so that the heat from the incoming oil can pass over to the exiting oil.

NOT a brilliant design from a heat transfer standpoint.....
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

I used this type cooler on my 5.0 Uni. However it was the type that went in one end and out the other. I also put a dual remote spin on oil filter setup into the line to increase capacity and to facilitate changing the filters more often. All of this is mounted to the pass side frame rail. (need to get a pic) I want to put a temp gauge in and don't have alot of miles on the truck but all seems well----so far.

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I run one of these on my 29 Ford and haven't had any problems with it here in Phoenix summers. I also have one that will be used on my 63 F100 when it gets done(almost ready for paint). The idea of these is that the aluminum fins will dissipate heat faster. I have always been told that it is still best to get them out to where it can get plenty of air flow but is not necessary.
Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

Fanatic wrote:I used this type cooler on my 5.0 Uni. However it was the type that went in one end and out the other. I also put a dual remote spin on oil filter setup into the line to increase capacity and to facilitate changing the filters more often. All of this is mounted to the pass side frame rail. (need to get a pic) I want to put a temp gauge in and don't have alot of miles on the truck but all seems well----so far.

Tim

sounds like you got quite a setup going... DUAL remote filters? wow... might be a bit excessive, but it's better than roasting your tranny.

I dunno, it seems whatever sort of one of these you got, it should be getting BLASTED with air, and probably even then don't do much... It goes straight thru, and that thing even if aluminum (yeah, I know it has a better heat dissipation rate than steel, but probably about the same or close to brass) isn't gonna dissipate heat as well as a regular cooler, with fins about the thickness of paper....

I got my cooler set up wrong though... I recently re-plumbed my cooling system, and accidentally got the pressure and return switched up (well, I think so anyway). It wouldn't matter if I just had the little cooler, but I decided to run it thru the provision in the bottom of the radiator, to stabilize the temp I guess. Not really sure why exactly I even used that, really. I ought to just plug the holes up again and connect the line to the cooler and be done with it...
It's too bad there can't be some sort of thermostatic bypass valve... that would be cool. Like when It's like 25 degrees out, I don't really want to chill the fluid that much....
ImageImageImage
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Keep in mind that you do not want transmission fluid or oil too cool. They work best at temps that feel hot to the touch. Transmission fluid is really a form of hydraulic fluid as well.
Too much cooling can be a bad thing.
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

I never wanted to run lines to the rad so I mounted a B&M tranny cooler and electric fan assembly under my cab above the transmission. I used braided hydraulic lines and it works really slick, don't even know its there. Also mounted an electric tranny temp gauge by the console. Whole thing cost about 250 beans. Definately worth it if you're gonna put the tranny to the test.
Mark

dwbr

Post by dwbr »

well i bought a high dollar aluminum radiator with the oil cooler, but i am running a 2800 stall on my tourque converter and was told i would need more cooling than what the radiator would support, so i am just trying to figure out the best approach, i was thinking of running the one pictured in front of the radiator in that flat area behind the grill, dont know if it would look funny or not, plan to have the fluid go through the radiator first, then through the cooler that would be infront of the radiator... i also thought about installing a temp guage and just see what it runs before i add the additional cooler
________
Mercury Colony Park specifications
Last edited by dwbr on February 7, 2011, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

dwbr wrote:well i bought a high dollar aluminum radiator with the oil cooler, but i am running a 2800 stall on my tourque converter and was told i would need more cooling than what the radiator would support, so i am just trying to figure out the best approach, i was thinking of running the one pictured in front of the radiator in that flat area behind the grill, dont know if it would look funny or not, plan to have the fluid go through the radiator first, then through the cooler that would be infront of the radiator... i also thought about installing a temp guage and just see what it runs before i add the additional cooler

that's pretty much what I got goin on... looks fine. routed the hoses to it thru a stamped oval hole in the core support.
ImageImageImage
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

The trans cooler that dwbr asked about is a heat sink type cooler which is very effective, the same principle is used widely in the electronics field.

I seem to remember that they have to be mounted parallel with the vehicle and better with a breeze crossing the fins.

dual pass :dontknow: ,if it doesnt work why would you make them, take it easy on me for that statement thou scared.gif .

does that model have the in line filters! :)

Alan,
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

I have one of those that I plan to mount to the outside of the frame. I am using the cooler that is built into the radiator and am going to plumb this into the return side. I am going to cut about 10'' from it and use that for my power steering.
I have to agree with cdherman, the outlet should not be next to the inlet. The oil you just cooled is going to be heated by the incoming oil. The local hot rod shop built a 57 Belair and they used 2 of the dual pass coolers in tandem in front of the radiator. It looked very high-tech and probably helped with the problem of heating the oil again. Gives a new look when you hardline it with polished stainless steel tubes.
FYI, to get these at a discount, look at the same catalogs that short track stock car racers use. Years ago, you could buy a 48" single pass unit for $39 in their catalogs. Due to the demographics, a 18" or 24" unit is $89 in the street rod books. They were priced according to their customer's willingness to spend money. Also the fact that the dirt track boys use these should be proof that they are very stout.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Most trans coolers are more than what you need. I wouldn't pick one ahead of the other. if you enjoy spending more for bling, there are a lot of purdy ones out there.
Jim
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

DW.
I got one kind of like that mounted under the front bumper.
On mine, its downstream from the radiator cooler so it does drop the temp quite a bit.
Remember, its Texas, its stop and go traffic, its drag racing, and other crap, and those other things tend to heat up the transmission more than usual.
Anyway, effecient or not, I'm happy with it, and it does look kind of cool tucked up under the front of the frame.
People do notice it :wink: .
Just my dos centavos worth.
Tio Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?