electrical problems

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

leftside11

electrical problems

Post by leftside11 »

Today I added relays and new headlight switch on my 65 long bed. Fixed the headlight flash problem, but high-beam indicator light, dome light, and instrument panel lights still not working. Checked dome light with voltmeter and it was at 26v. Put in new bulb no light. Any ideas?

The panel light did go on for few seconds before going off. Didn't get a chance to check fuses before it got dark.

Thanks
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

26v is way to high. You should get 14v at most.

Check you grounds. They can get bad on these old trucks. 90% of the time thats what the problem is.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

26V? how is that even possible? See if that is coming directly from the Alt/gen, or if it is something freaky going on in the domelight...

If it IS really 26 volts, you may well be burning up your light bulbs. Check your voltage regulator.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

Dont know why your getting 26v. but check the reostat on the back of the light switch. It could be burned out and possibly jamming up so that you cant turn the knob far enough to light the dome light. the reostat is for adjusting the brightness of the dash lights.
Lowell