c-6

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ethan_lanning

c-6

Post by ethan_lanning »

I have a c-6 transmission that came off of a 390 and I was wondering if it would work with a 429? will it bolt up or do I need a diffrent one?
Never poke another mans rust bubble.
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/reg ... 6959/57442
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Different.
Jim
effienut2

C-6

Post by effienut2 »

I have installed a C-6 behind my '66 LB with a 460. Works great for 9 years. I also have installed a C-6 in my '66 SB with a 429. This is a great combo. On the SB I had to move the tranny crossmember (forward?) several inches and then mounted the tranny directly to the relocated crossmember. Bolted right in. Remember to use the rubberized mounting bracket. You will need the slip yoke that normally fits on the C-6 tranny tailshaft. I found mine in a junkyard.

The drive shaft will need to be replaced if you have a SB. The original drive shaft, if from a 4 spd tranny, may have a slip yoke in it, which connected to the rear end. You only want 1 slip yoke, thus a new drive shaft. I had an extra drive shaft form an '87 LTD that needed to be shortened. If you have a LB the drive shaft is a two piece deal with a carrier bearing. Depending upon where the tranny is mounted you will have to shorten the drive shaft. If you need more ingo contact me and I'll tell you more. Good Luck. :!:
effienut2

C-6

Post by effienut2 »

I forgot. A 390. Check the bolt pattern on the tranny and the 429. If it's different than there may be an adapter out there in the aftermarket. (Gearvendors?).
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Why not just get a C-6 for a 385 series engine?
Jim
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Yep, dont waste time with an adaptor.

There are Bazillions of them out there. Same bell housing as the 351/400M engines......

429 and 460 share this bell.....

351 Clevland shares the small block bell pattern.

Garbz