Engineproblems

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

chiquita

Engineproblems

Post by chiquita »

My 390 is in a very bad mood at the moment. At no gas she runs nice but when I give her a little gas she dies, and then when I give her full throttle she pulls but misses a lot and shoots in the pipes. Have checked sparks and cables and they seems to work.
Hope you people understand my writing.

Janne.
Real men dont eat suschi.
-66 F250 Twin I-Beam 390/ 3 on a tree.
But miss my -63 Country Sedan.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Janne, sounds to me like your breaker points are out of adjustment.they should be .017".
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:Janne, sounds to me like your breaker points are out of adjustment.they should be .017".

They are changed to something called "Ignitor" Think it cant be adjustable. Some kind of electronic thing.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Have you checked to see if your vacuum advance hose is leaking, broken or right off?

Vacuum hose from the carb to the distributor.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Hmmm, definitely sounds like an ignition problem. Check inside the distributor cap for anything funky...things like carbon tracks (look like cracks), center button worn way down, loose pointer on the rotor, etc.
Also, make sure there's no play on the magnetic pickup beneath the rotor. It should rotate left to right, just no side-to-side motion.

Make sure there's no carbon tracks on the coil, from the tower (where coil wire plugs in) to the coil case or to the negative coil terminal.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Have you checked to see if your vacuum advance hose is leaking, broken or right off?

Vacuum hose from the carb to the distributor.

Have checked it and it lookes ok. But the plate under the Ignitor feels maybe a little bit hard to move but dont know exactly how it should feel.
chiquita

Post by chiquita »

Slick Fan wrote:Hmmm, definitely sounds like an ignition problem. Check inside the distributor cap for anything funky...things like carbon tracks (look like cracks), center button worn way down, loose pointer on the rotor, etc.
Also, make sure there's no play on the magnetic pickup beneath the rotor. It should rotate left to right, just no side-to-side motion.

Make sure there's no carbon tracks on the coil, from the tower (where coil wire plugs in) to the coil case or to the negative coil terminal.

I shall check that but myself I had a feeling before that the fuelpump maybe were getting bad.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

You might have a bad accelerator pump, and by now you most likely have a bad economizer valve with the backfiring.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus