Tires And Wheels... Argh!!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Effie

Tires And Wheels... Argh!!

Post by Effie »

Ok, so I'm in a dilemma...

I need tires for the '66 and I'm unsure of the size that's gonna fit/look best. Right now I'm looking at some Yokohama Geolander HT in a 265/70/15. But I don't know if they'll be too big.

I've been doing some searches and some reading on here, but if anyone has any specific side shots of their truck, could you post it please and tell me what size tires you're running?

Also on what kinda wheels and backspacing.

I'm wanting the Chrome Smoothies, but I can't seem to find it in anything less than a 4" backspace and I don't know if that's gonna be TOO tucked under the rear. I just like for the wheel/tire to fill the fenderwell without looking too dinky.

Is anybody running two different sized tires on different backspaced wheels - front/rear? I don't want to do this because of rotating the tires, BUT if that's what it takes to look "even" I'll have to. I noticed last night while trying on some 15x8s [4" backspace] that the front tires looked fine in the fenderwell, but the rears were kinda skinny and too "tucked under" for my tastes. I don't want to spend a buncha money just to sit back and say "that other size would have looked better, ya know?

Anyhow, pics with sizes would be great. Thanks. :)

[The one thread I did fine, was pics of HeavyHaulers Uni, but couldn't find what size the tires were.]
~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus

frank66
United States of America

Post by frank66 »

265 / 70 R16 Cooper Discoverer A/T

16x8 American Racing Outlaw II

[albumimg]1599[/albumimg]
Effie

Post by Effie »

Do you know the backspacing on those wheels?
~/\/\elissa~

frank66
United States of America

Post by frank66 »

I don't know off hand, but I might be able to measure one for you sometime this weekend. I didn't specify back spacing when I ordered them, I just told the guy what truck they were going on.
dwbr

Post by dwbr »

i have 275/60/15 with 4.5 in backspacing on the rear, 235 60/15 on the front, not sure on backspacing, but looks about the same, is a little bit too much on the front, have a hard time with the width on trailers since the front is wider.. new rims will be narrower for front next time
________
Cultus
Last edited by dwbr on February 7, 2011, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I was able to get 31x10.50s up into the back of my 64 & my 66 short with the stock springs & a styleside box (you need a REAL big jack or a frame lift though). That size shouldn't be any issue. Only thing you might want to think about is narrow is better on the front if you don't have power steering. I presently have 235x75s on the Uni and wish the fronts were narrower so it would steer easier.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

G`day effie, Lenore has on the front 17x7 rims with 4" b/s,bridgestone dueler H/P 255-60r 17 rolling height 29",

on the back 17x8 rims 4.5 b/s should`ve been 3.5! bridgestone dueler H/P 275-55r 17 rolling height 29"

Alan,
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

i have probably the smallest tires anyone has on a slick here. i have 215/75r15 on all four. made sure to get them in a high load/ high psi rating. my 10 year old can turn the wheels on flat ground while the truck is sitting still. it is effortless if moving at all. no clearance issues. the taller the tires are the harder your brakes have to work...
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

GLindley

Post by GLindley »

May be small tires, but ya gotta loves your slots Boben!!

[albumimg]1554[/albumimg]
Gene
1961 Intregal cab SWB 223 (getting 302 & TIB)
1969 LWB 302 automatic (Donor for the '61)
2000 F150 XLT SWB (Daily Driver)
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Effie, I just put those same Yokohamas Geo H/T (23570R16's) on my Jeep Liberty. Got them from Discount Tire, if you have one of those. There is an instant $50 rebate, plus they knock off about another $30 as well.

These tires have good reviews on Tirerack.com
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Effie

Post by Effie »

dotcentral wrote:Effie, I just put those same Yokohamas Geo H/T (23570R16's) on my Jeep Liberty. Got them from Discount Tire, if you have one of those. There is an instant $50 rebate, plus they knock off about another $30 as well.

These tires have good reviews on Tirerack.com

I have the Yoko Geolander ATs on my Bronco and thats what kinda lead me in the direction of the HTs. [Never run a Yoko before and really like the ATs so far on my Bronco.]

I have a Discount Tire, too...its where I got my ATs and he even haggled the price with me. I told him I priced them somewhere else for a lesser price and he come down to what I was willing to spend. I didn't tell him the price I got the first time was a dealership employee discount. :lol:

Well, I went down to Summit today to buy some other goodies and went ahead and bought the Smoothies in 15x8 with a 4" backspace. The wheels on it now look good in the front [as far as wheel placement is concerned] and my brother said if with the new tires they are too tucked [in the rear] it's not problem to add like a 1/4" spacer plate behind the wheel.

Maybe ya'll can answer this...what is the trick to getting that smoothie hubcap off without damaging it? Is there a special tool or something? We stuck the wheels on there and popped the cap on just to check fit and look...then had to figure out how to get the cap back off. Small screwdriver wrapped in a rag worked, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Thanks for all the replies. Ya'll brought up a good point about the steering. I think now I'm leaning towards a 245/70 or 75. I don't have PS and no plans of now to convert...I like the armstrong steering, reminds me I'm driving a real truck.
~/\/\elissa~

ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

that's what i use. a small screwdriver wrapped in a rag. be careful. those centers dent really easy.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
GDG

Post by GDG »

Effie, my 64 has 255 70 15 on 8" wheels with 3 1/2 " backspace. They fit real nice, those smoothies will look good on a Slick.
Doug
Truckrat
United States of America

gettin' smoothie caps off

Post by Truckrat »

:iagree: Effie, I have been thru the same thing trying to get those caps off. Like they said, they dent pretty easy.
If you have a brake spoon laying around, you can wrap some tape around it and pry them off with it. The curved ends on these work real
well for this, and you can carry them around in your glovebox. I have even rolled up a shop rag and put it under the curved part to protect the wheel (mine are painted) so it wouldn't scratch the paint. I run the stainless steel pop on caps on the old style "innie" wheels. I also have some chrome smoothies like yours and found this little tool always works well to get 'em off. TR
mrcando_66F100

Post by mrcando_66F100 »

255/60/15

[albumimg]3131[/albumimg][albumimg]3111[/albumimg]
jeffw

tires

Post by jeffw »

mine are 275/60/15s on 15/10 modulars, cool huh??

[albumimg]2100[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2095[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2256[/albumimg]
Rosati

Post by Rosati »

Any competent wheel shop should have a tool similar to this one click here
Or you can use this page to do it yourself.
I hate Message Boards.
dwbr

Post by dwbr »

Rosati wrote:Any competent wheel shop should have a tool similar to this one click here

i bought one of those and they suck, it is almost imposible to use that "tire size" wire crap
________
hemp
Last edited by dwbr on February 7, 2011, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

frank66 wrote:I don't know off hand, but I might be able to measure one for you sometime this weekend. I didn't specify back spacing when I ordered them, I just told the guy what truck they were going on.

Effie wrote:Do you know the backspacing on those wheels?

I have the same rims, and did the same thing as Frank. I have one off right now, I will try to get out tomarrow to measure.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
1966 Ford

Post by 1966 Ford »

if you go to lesschwab.com you can do a virtual wheels thing with a slick ford truck can not do tires unless you go to a store but they are only located in oregon, washington, idaho, and northern california. but you can look at different wheels.
1966 Custom Cab
1967 Fairlane Ranchero