EFI fuel tank mods for an early model tank???

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

EFI fuel tank mods for an early model tank???

Post by Uncle Skip »

What has to be done to an existing (new OEM style) fuel tank to accomidate an EFI motor.
Do you just need a return line or does something have to be incorporated inside the tank?
NO, not for Nadine 8)
Thanks guys.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Depends on your setup Skip. Many EFI factory setups have the fuel pump in the tank on the same stem that the pickup and the sender are on. I have an aftermarket throttle body Holley setup that still needs the return line all EFI setups do, had to retrofit mine as I had a carbureted Bronco2 tank.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

JC
I'll probably be using the 5.0 HO Mustang style external fuel pump.
If so, just a return line???
Skip
(Oops, did I give something away??)
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Skip. Yes return line on all FI's I know about.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
turtle1056

Post by turtle1056 »

hmmm - every mustang i ever saw was in tank- so please do tell - I would love to keep my factory cab tank and just put in a return line.

I cant find an inline pump that will siphon/suck from a tank like our seat tanks - they cavitate n burn out - been there n done that to the tune of over a hundred bucks.

You got part numbers by chance?
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

any easy solution would be to run the return line to the filler tube
robert porterfield

Post by robert porterfield »

skip, awile ago i parted out a bumpside that was a cali emisson truck and its tank had an add'l line very simmilar to the factory pick up for the charcol can return this could poss be used for your efi return? anyone else seen a tank plumbed that way before? :)
lifes hard wear helmet!
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Late 80's-early 90's trucks and vans with dual tanks had fuel pumps mounted to the frame.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
turtle1056

Post by turtle1056 »

the 87-89 F150's etc with two tanks, had both "in tank" pumps, and a booster pump on the frame.

It had serious issues and is why Ford quit doin it.

You can not use just the frame pump by itself - lasts about a week before over heatin and fryin from cavitation

I used this setup on my 79 with limited success then went to a walbro inline pump that is sposed to work for inline applications - went through three of them burnin out before i went to an intank model.

My current thought when i have time is to cut the top of the tank next to where the factory sender is, and weld in the entire intank unit from a newer, say 90's Mustang or Ranger. These units look like they have enough depth to get the pump to the bottom of the tank

I have no concerns over an in cab tank - GM Dodge and Ford made millions of em, and there are few if any documented cases of them explodin.

However i am also lookin at a Jeep tank as it is similar to the Bronco II (bronco II only had efi for one year here in 89) but more available cuz they still make em new.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Skip, all you will need to do is tap in a return line and use a frame mount aftermarket fuel pump for a Fox body Mustang, there are plenty of them to choose from out there. 83-84 T-bird Turbo Coupes used an external pump too.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
turtle1056

Post by turtle1056 »

hmmmm - you sure bout that - if memory serves all pre 1987 efi Fords used throttlebody efi and the pump pressure was maxed at 25 psi.

We need minimum 45 psi for the new efi we all are usin

but on the off chance i be wrong - you got a part number or supplier for that pump?
Sure would solve a lot o issues for me.

thanxz
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

a inline pump will work just fine. the answer to skips question is, he will need a return line. to finish the fuel systems for EFI
as far as everything else im sure that Texan has it al lfigured out :lol:

the F series pumps from the mid 80s were for carburetion, two low pressure pumps (lift pumps in tanks) and a high pressure on the rail for delivery. thats why one of the line pumps wil lfail without the lift pump inside the tank.
that system actually worked great as long as all the filters were changed regularly

I run a holley Red on my 64 under the cab tank for a carbuerated system. there is EFI pumps on the aftermarket to uipgrade too for EFI

oh and neither of my stangs ever had in tank pumps, thats why they are so coooooooooooooooooooooooooool :lol:
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Turtle, the Turbo coupes were SEFI systems like the 86 up cars (most of them anyway). I don't have a part # but your local parts store should be able to get it.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Turtle is correct. The high pressure pumps needed for EFI will not suck fuel. A constant supply must be provided to the pump. Most people recommend a low pressure pump to supply the high pressure one. When I did mine I wanted one less future problem so I put a bung in the bottom of the truck tank, drilled a corresponding hole inthe floor and gravity feed fuel to the high pressure pump. Just to beat you all to the punch......I put a shut-off valve --then a BIG Fram cannister filter--then the pump. Simple and to the point.
I then used the factory fuel line for my return line.
I also ran a simple line from the rubber file hose straight out the floor next to the factory fuel line for an extra vent.

Works great!

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
turtle1056

Post by turtle1056 »

i guess the trucks n cars here in Canada were substantially different than in the US

The info I posted is correct here in Canada.

87-89 efi trucks had in tank and frame pumps, there were no in tank pumps pre 87 in a truck of any kind as the carb trux were still mechanical on the motor, and 86 and down cars were throttle body, including mustangs n turbo coupes - I owned several of each and fixed more than a few.

So I would still be lookin fer a part number for a US pump that was frame mounted and made 45+ psi so I can retain my stock tank.

Cuz unless I make a bung in the bottom, every efi frame pump I've experienced will starve tryin to suck fuel cuz they cant.

thanx
63BIGWINDOW

Post by 63BIGWINDOW »

Ive done EFI swaps in the past using frame mounted pumps,My 72 bump had a 67 mustang tank in rear with a $90.00 pump from Classic Performance Parts and it has nearly 20k on it now,I have never seen anyone using an in cab tank with efi seems like the added pressure build up from the return setup would be more smelly,I guess I never liked sitting on somthing that could explode.I am putting a mustang tank in my 63 and will document with pics if anyone is interested.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Uncle Skip wrote:JC
I'll probably be using the 5.0 HO Mustang style external fuel pump.
If so, just a return line???
Skip
(Oops, did I give something away??)

Come on Skip! give it over what are you up to? this is the second time youv`e dropped a hint .

Alan,
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

turtle1056 wrote:i guess the trucks n cars here in Canada were substantially different than in the US

The info I posted is correct here in Canada.

87-89 efi trucks had in tank and frame pumps, there were no in tank pumps pre 87 in a truck of any kind as the carb trux were still mechanical on the motor, and 86 and down cars were throttle body, including mustangs n turbo coupes - I owned several of each and fixed more than a few.

So I would still be lookin fer a part number for a US pump that was frame mounted and made 45+ psi so I can retain my stock tank.

Cuz unless I make a bung in the bottom, every efi frame pump I've experienced will starve tryin to suck fuel cuz they cant.

thanx

You are mistaken. Even in Canada, the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and the SVO Mustang had SEFI fuel injection not throttle body. There were turbo 4's that were not SVO or Turbo Coupes but they are a different animal. These are great cars (I have a rare grey with grey leather 86 SVO right now and have been chasing a jalapeno 86 with sunroof leather and spoiler delete!). Some info on these cars: http://www.turbotbird.com/ http://www.svoca.com/mainframe.html. Hawkrod
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Skip,
You can loop your highside PSI circuit in engine bay by using a remote system with reservoir and a regulator
at the end of Injector rails, then run 1 line with a Volume type, low PSI, pusher pump, at your tank up to loop
system reservoir instead. It's a two pump system so employ dual impact shut off relays. A lot less
plumbing is involved and a lot less fuel running around in long lines etc etc. :thumright:

This design eliminates need for return line to main tank and eliminates inclusion of the vent/filter/ VOC cannister
set up in the system remote from the fuel tank too. :steering:

It's a real "Les Izmore" street racer type, thingee we use here. :cheers:

FBp Bolt.gif
Change is the Only Constant
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

OK SURE DITTO OOOOH................................WHAT?
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.