Tilt steering for my 65 F100

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

gordonhd55

Tilt steering for my 65 F100

Post by gordonhd55 »

Does anyone know what tilt steering will fit on my 1965 F100 or a link to a how to install a tilt steering on your...maybe it was discussed before on the old site.
Thank you ,
Gordon
FarmTrk

Post by FarmTrk »

Refresh my memory. Which steering box is the Saginaw one. I installed power steering and had to change the steering column because the steering box is longer than stock. I believe the other box is a Bendix unit but I don't remember which is which.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Gordon,
The longer box is the Saginaw style and John is right, the easiest fit is the 78-79 F series FoMoCo tilt column assy. :thumright:

Having said that, there are big differences within the wiring schematics between '65 and 78-79 Columns but there are articles & diagrams on that subject. In fact I believe they're in our archives here at Slick 60's.

For one, 78 & 79's have hazzard Flashers integrated into turn sig & brake lights while 65's do not. But you can upgrade to incorporatee them or you can down grade your 78-79 Column to not use them in the 65 trucks.

Lastly, but still a critical point on 78-79 tilt Cols....;
FoMoCo will tell you they do not carry T/S Switches for 78-9 tilt columns anymore. But Early 80's Dodge Vans with a standard, non-tilt, steering column uses exact same switch, except it has a MoPaR P/N. It's even made by the same vendor, Go Figure That huh?.

Now You Know the rest of the story, . . . . . Huh? :roll:

FBp :steering:
Change is the Only Constant
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Pete

Wonder in ND can find that in a parts book?

Garbz
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

Pete, I keep telling you you are FOS. I went and checked 20+ Dodge switches and they are nothing like the Ford switch. Unless you can provide a number that we can cross, I am saying you are full of dog doo. I hate to call you out like this but you keep posting that piece of crap factoid that is not true and I keep correcting you. You are wrong and I keep asking you to provide proof other than the fact that a parts counter flunkie gave you the wrong one, one time. You are wrong and you are too lazy to check on it. Despite what you "know" there is no Dodge switch that will fit a Ford tilt and I can prove it as I checked every single switch available through NAPA and Dodge. Also as far as a truck tilt switch, they are readily available if you do not mind just a small bit of effort. They are identical to any 1970-1979 Ford car with a tilt except the car ones have different length wires and an extra wire for the key buzzer. Go get a switch for a Lincoln, it works fine. Hawkrod
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Hawkrod wrote: Go get a switch for a Lincoln, it works fine. Hawkrod

butbut.gif What year? :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

70-79, just like I said in my post. The wires will be a different length but they have all the exact same connections and the only difference is they have a wire for the key buzzer. Hawkrod
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Man in california pokes man in eye in florida with sharp stick NEWS AT 11

Garbz
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

I was nice the first ten times. You reach a point where you get tired of correcting the same misinformation over and over again. Hawkrod
Last edited by Hawkrod on November 30, 2007, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Sounds like the same bitch as F T E

Garbz
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Garbz wrote:Man in california pokes man in eye in florida with sharp stick NEWS AT 11

Garbz

no doubt.i dont think that was the way to disagree with someone here.i do not know the answer to the conversion question myself so i have no comment, just on the response.
down_1_Revan.gif down_1_Revan.gif
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Hawk,

We all know your opinions and knowledge are valuable and you may very well be right on this one.

But I am sorry -- that is NOT the way to correct someone. Not ever. Not even the 100th time they are wrong.

Please edit your post or delete it. Just a request. Please!
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
ghostflamed66

Post by ghostflamed66 »

WOW
:(
64 4x4 with tilt front end
65 f100
66 f100
66 ranger
66 fairlane 500
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

:nono: This is not the sort of conversation that we want to show a new member. First things first, Gordon, welcome to the greatest Ford truck site around. There is a wealth of knowledge here as well as an abundance of laughs to be had, sorry nobody greeted you sooner. :oops: Whereabouts in the Great White North do you hang your toque? coldwithsnow.gif
Mark

gordonhd55

Post by gordonhd55 »

Thank you for the welcome.I am located in Quebec,1 hour southwest of Montreal.Thanks for the info.
Gordon [/img]
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

The only thing I know is the last time we got a Tilt Column switch it was available at Ford for about 130.00 Ford Part Number D8TZ-13341-A Which fits 78-79 F-150/350 OR E-150/350 Trucks
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

:oops: Thats for trucks with tilt columns only I needed to mention that as well above :) :)
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Rosati

Re: Tilt steering for my 65 F100

Post by Rosati »

gordonhd55 wrote:Does anyone know what tilt steering will fit on my 1965 F100 or a link to a how to install a tilt steering on your...maybe it was discussed before on the old site.
Thank you ,
Gordon

You didn't tell us if the truck is stock or had an auto swapped or a floor shifter, etc.
Mines a 64 and I installed a flaming River column.
[albumimg]3194[/albumimg]
You will need a column drop and custom mount
[albumimg]3195[/albumimg]
A DD or splined shaft with matching u-joints
[albumimg]3196[/albumimg]
and a splined/splined or splined/DD rag joint or u-joint.
If using a manual trans, you will have to go floor shift (unless you find an OEM column) If auto trans is your choice, you can fab the Lokar column cable kit to just about any trans with some clever thinking. (I mated mine to an FMX trans)
I hate Message Boards.
Hawkrod
United States of America

Re: Tilt steering for my 65 F100

Post by Hawkrod »

Rosati wrote:
gordonhd55 wrote:Does anyone know what tilt steering will fit on my 1965 F100 or a link to a how to install a tilt steering on your...maybe it was discussed before on the old site.
Thank you ,
Gordon

You didn't tell us if the truck is stock or had an auto swapped or a floor shifter, etc.
Mines a 64 and I installed a flaming River column.
[albumimg]3194[/albumimg]
You will need a column drop and custom mount
[albumimg]3195[/albumimg]
A DD or splined shaft with matching u-joints
[albumimg]3196[/albumimg]
and a splined/splined or splined/DD rag joint or u-joint.
If using a manual trans, you will have to go floor shift (unless you find an OEM column) If auto trans is your choice, you can fab the Lokar column cable kit to just about any trans with some clever thinking. (I mated mine to an FMX trans)

65 does not mount the same way as a 64. he will not need a column drop, custom mount or a shaft with U joints if he uses a Ford column and later steering box. If he uses an aftermarket column he will need to do some fabricating but not the same work you had to with a 64. Hawkrod
gordonhd55

Post by gordonhd55 »

I got rid of manual three speed transmission and put a FMX auto transmission on the floor.I still have the manual 3 speed shifter spacer on the column and would like to clean up the mess on the column.Either change the steering column for an automatic no tilt or with tilt steering.
Thanks for all the help.
Gordon