Ignition parts

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

Ignition parts

Post by dotcentral »

What brands is everyone using? Spark plugs, wires, distributor caps?

I bought some stuff for my 352 several months back, can't remember exactly where. I want to finally put in the pertronix I bought several months back. Abut that time I bought some plugs, plug wires, dist cap. hoping from NAPA, but I may have got the cheap junk from Autozone or Advance.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

autolite plugs and standard blue streak ignition parts. if its not made in USA it does not go on my trucks.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

Timely question. I installed the Ignitor in my 292 last night and replaced the plugs with Autolites. My cap and rotor were in good shape so I left them alone. Plug wires weren't sparking or glowing so I left them as well.

I thought about replacing everything - including the coil - just for the heck of it. Then decided against it. Why spend money on something I don't need?

My slick sure runs sweet now. And it's SO easy to start.
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Macon ACE wrote:I thought about replacing everything - including the coil - just for the heck of it. Then decided against it. Why spend money on something I don't need?

Never heard....

Confucius say......Man who upgrades ignition and not rest have sore feet......

Garbz

It will find the weak link and leave ya walkin....LOL
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

I know I will probably catch flack for this (sorry Iceman) but I put Bosch platnum (not plus) in my rigs. I typically spend time each summer inthe desert country of Oregon (OK so its not much of a desert) and try to have the truck equiped so it wont break down or if it does it can be "patched" together to get me back home. I currently have no engine problems but have had problems in the past and these plugs seem to be rugged and run when many others are fouled. Just my experience.......I will go and hide for a while now............
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

Garbz wrote:
Macon ACE wrote:I thought about replacing everything - including the coil - just for the heck of it. Then decided against it. Why spend money on something I don't need?

Never heard....

Garbz

:)
Ha! You're likely right about that!
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

I looked when I got home and found I had NAPA plug wires and distirbutor cap and Autolite plugs. I don't have a rotor. Should have got an O-ring also, it's probably the original on it.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

Macon ACE wrote:
Garbz wrote:

Never heard....

Garbz

:)
Ha! You're likely right about that!

I would say quite positively.

Steer clear of STANDARD double silicone plug wires though... Sad as it is, they're not very good. about one year after I installed them, they were all cracked aand shooting sparks. Granted, this was in Tucson, but it shouldn't matter. Any silicone worth its shit ought to be able to hold up to 450* on a regular basis.
I DEFINITELY Prefer American made stuff in general, but it sucks that the USA ones were twice as much money, went bad in under a year, and had no warranty whatsoever. On the other hand, my cheap Chinese wires from Autozone came with a lifetime warranty for when they DO split, or I yank a terminal off when trying to change the plugs. I will never have to buy plug wires again. Sorry USA plug wire companies..... ;(
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage