Your opinion please on wheels

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

norville

Your opinion please on wheels

Post by norville »

Folks,

I'm looking for some input. I know ultimately it will be my decision. Hopefully some pics will show up also.

Currently I have some oldskool slots on my 250. future plans for my truck is to paint the upper half of the truck white. From the molding line up. So, I have a set of steel wheels here 16.5's I'm thinking of painting them white and getting some stock-ish hubcaps for it.

The questions: What caps are correct for 65/66? Will the caps work on a more modern 16? Or a set of moonies?? Or am I better off just keeping the slots and getting some chrome centers for it??

Keep in mind I'm somewhat of a cheap b@st@rd.

Pics of my junk are in the gallery.

thanks,

Pics whould be great if you have any.

bob
Last edited by norville on December 4, 2007, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

The problem with 'correct' wheel caps for our trucks is they are 'innie' attachments, so you need the correct original wheels for the truck for them to work. The original wheels won't clear the disc brake swap (ask me how I know).
I think 'period' custom wheels are cool. Slots have really fallen from favor, but that just makes them unique now instead of commonplace (like Cragars once were). A polished set of slots with actual center caps would be a rare thing to see now.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
norville

Post by norville »

That's what I was afraid of. And I don't thing moonies would work either case of the dana 60 rear.

Well maybe I'll start looking for a set of centers. Trouble there (and I know ) again is the 60. I need deep one in the rear and shallow in the front.

bob
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Correct for your truck which is a 3/4 ton ,are bottle caps like this
Dwight says the wheels won't clear the brake conversion but i think he is talking about f100 15" wheels. you can get 8 bolt wheels, both steelies and mags off a later ford truck that will work, but i would try the steelies you have with the bottle caps if you want stock. Check your wheels for the type of cap mounting they have. Bottle caps came in both inside and outside tab mounts.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
norville

Post by norville »

How will I know if my steel wheels will work. I'm pretty sure they're orig.

bob
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Got your front disc brakes intalled? put 'em on and see if they rub the calipers
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
norville

Post by norville »

No still running the front drums. they are 16.5's where would they rub on the calipers themself?

Oh, and I was more concerned about the hubcaps working with my steel wheels.

I've had these steel wheels on the truck when I got it.

bob
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Norville

I hope the wheels you have are not the lock ring type, and I think that would be the original wheel on a 3/4 ton truck. Being they are 16.5 wheels.

The one piece 16.5 wheel will accept either hub cap but they wouldn't be "original" but much safer, I don't think to many tire shops deal with the lock ring wheel any more
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus