Power steering upgrade question, 65-66, ??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cdherman

Power steering upgrade question, 65-66, ??

Post by cdherman »

OK, I think I have posted this before, but here goes again.

I have a 71 PS column that is the shorter variety (works with later Ford/Saginaw box). I have drilled the spot welds out of it to remove the bracket that holds it under the dash.

I have the correct bracket for my 65 (this bracket is specific for 65-66, though the rest of the manual steering and 65-68 PS columns are interchageable).

I would like to weld the earlier bracket to the later column.

I'd rather not assemble the whole thing to verify things (long story why).

Can I just weld the earlier bracket on the same spot as the later bracket and be done with it?

Does anyone who has done this swap know if the bracket location changed much?

Thanks fellas......
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Yes it goes in the exact same spot :thumright:
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

If you are worried, slot the holes so there is adjustment, top to bottom. A washer would cover it. Better now than after paint.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Truckfarmer wrote:If you are worried, slot the holes so there is adjustment, top to bottom. A washer would cover it. Better now than after paint.

Ford already slotted them, but I noticed that my donor bracket had been bolted at the far end of the slot. This is what got me thinking that I might get unlucky and find that when I have it assembled, there is a 1/4" still left between then steering wheel and upper "hub" and it will look like crap and the turn signal won't work.

Ford obviously slotted them for this reason. Since there is a little natural variation in the cab mounts and rubber pucks, even if they are not rusted, I can see the slots being there from the factory.

Well, if its exactly the same, then I may just take a chance. Problem is that once I have wleded it, it will be a real pain to move it if I am wrong..... Spot welds drill out nice, but a MIG will be a little more permanent.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

FarmTrk

Post by FarmTrk »

I did the power stseering swap also, althougjh I used the other steering box. I did just what you descried, took the bracket from the old column and welded it onto the new one. I didn't have any problems with it.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

FarmTrk wrote:I did the power stseering swap also, althougjh I used the other steering box. I did just what you descried, took the bracket from the old column and welded it onto the new one. I didn't have any problems with it.

How did you decide where to weld it? Did you dry fit everything, or just match up the old and new locations and weld it?

FarmTrk

Post by FarmTrk »

I set mine in and got the exact spot that way, Iguess that is dry fitting it. In any case it worked. Good luck