66 Twin I Beam Emblem Removal ?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

samdog66

66 Twin I Beam Emblem Removal ?

Post by samdog66 »

Santa was kind enough to bring me 2 TWIN I BEAM emblem inserts.
What is the best way to remove and replace the old ones from the fender without doing any damage? Thanks.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

The posts are held in with brass or bronze clips that fold over the pins.
The badges just pop out.
Pry the emblem off with a plastic spatula; a plastic putty knife works great. When you get enough room, use a wide screwdriver, or a thick metal putty knife would be better, against the plastic one.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

The plastic ones are a bit tricky to deal with. The chrome parts are pot metal, which is not very forgiving. The plastic is held in by little tabs on the backside that I didn't have any success in dealing with (meaning, they break easily). My solution was to use JB Weld in small globs at several points around the perimeter of the insert to hold it in place. Let dry thoroughly before reinstalling. Try to keep the epoxy from the visible part of the insert as they are a bit transparent and it may show through as a shadow. I've had mine in that way for a couple years now with no problems.
Removing the chrome bit from the fender is done as described above. Plastic spatula to start, then keep it under the blade of a screwdriver to pry the edges up and the whole thing off.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning